Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2022, 07:31 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times

Advertisements

"Contrarian," or courtroom-style pedantic. Vaccination, natural immunity (yeah, I believe there's some of it), better understanding of how to handle critical cases, and maybe mask usage. The inherent variant is stronger.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:38 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Was Delta milder than its predecessor? No.
Delta spread faster, that's about it. Omnicron spreads even faster. And Omnicron resembles more of a severe cold which doesn't require hospitalization like the Alpha and Delta variant. And the same still holds true, if you are immune deficient, you'll get sicker than others. Don't forget 70% of the deaths that occurred with Alpha were people over 65 years of age. It wasn't that the virus was worse, it just hit the most vulnerable.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:44 PM

4,319 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Delta spread faster, that's about it. Omnicron spreads even faster. And Omnicron resembles more of a severe cold which doesn't require hospitalization like the Alpha and Delta variant. And the same still holds true, if you are immune deficient, you'll get sicker than others. Don't forget 70% of the deaths that occurred with Alpha were people over 65 years of age. It wasn't that the virus was worse, it just hit the most vulnerable.
Being more deadly isn't the only measurement of the severity of a pandemic. If this were the case, Ebola would be considered most severe as it has around a 50%+ mortality rate. You don't hear much about it as it's much more difficult to spread.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Being more deadly isn't the only measurement of the severity of a pandemic. If this were the case, Ebola would be considered most severe as it has around a 50%+ mortality rate. You don't hear much about it as it's much more difficult to spread.
It may not be the only measurement but it sure as heck is the most important and permanent. Wouldn't you say? I mean c'mon. It's "death." Can't get any more severe than that.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
It may not be the only measurement but it sure as heck is the most important and permanent. Wouldn't you say? I mean c'mon. It's "death." Can't get any more severe than that.
Well, I'd argue that Delta was more severe because with an exponential increase in cases, it created a lot more deaths, even with a somewhat lower percentage.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:00 PM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
No. That isn't happening. Immunity doesn't last long enough, the common cold doesn't cause chronic illness, and other successful variants are almost guaranteed, say, within the next 12 months. The experts aren't disagreeing with me.
What a loaded phrase. "The experts" are a very diverse group of people that have a wide range of opinions. I can assure you people like Dr. Monica Ghandi, Dr. Ashish Jha, and Dr. John Campbell, who definitely fall into the category of "the experts" dont agree with you at all. Some "experts" like Dr. Eric Feigl Ding share your alarmism and views. Who is right and who is wrong? Neither of us are qualified to answer.

Youre completely missing cross reactive immunity. If it wasnt for this, the Russian Flu of the 1890's (which was a Coronavirus) would still be killing thousands every single year. Instead, its a common cold. Even though the virus mutates, it does NOT start at square one upon re-infection. Rather, a person who becomes re-infected deals with it fine and the symptoms become less and less severe each time.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...responses.aspx

This is why we see that infection from Omicron produces antibodies against earlier variants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/28/covi...-it-study.html

So yes of course there are going to be further variants, but life isnt going to stop and it isnt going to fill up hospitals. Hell, in order for future variants to stick around they would have to outcompete Omicron which is very unlikely given how contagious it is. And the more and more people pass around the same base virus, even with mutations, the better able people are to fight it off. That has been true for EVERY single coronavirus in history that has stuck around long enough to make several runs through the population.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Well, I'd argue that Delta was more severe because with an exponential increase in cases, it created a lot more deaths, even with a somewhat lower percentage.
You're probably right on that. I wouldn't know. I stopped paying attention to the numbers about the time Delta reared its ugly head. I don't even know the numbers on Omnicron. I do know that a dear friend's family members all have Omnicron and she tells me that what they're feeling is like a very bad cold.

Something else that makes no sense ... Why on earth would people line up in the cold to get a test for something they may or may not have but are willing to expose themselves to others in the same line who may be infected? Does that make any sense? Not to me. People have lost their ever-lovin' mind.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Let's bypass guessing.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...les-death-risk

Old 01-09-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You're probably right on that. I wouldn't know. I stopped paying attention to the numbers about the time Delta reared its ugly head. I don't even know the numbers on Omnicron. I do know that a dear friend's family members all have Omnicron and she tells me that what they're feeling is like a very bad cold.

Something else that makes no sense ... Why on earth would people line up in the cold to get a test for something they may or may not have but are willing to expose themselves to others in the same line who may be infected? Does that make any sense? Not to me. People have lost their ever-lovin' mind.
Well, I actually had to wait in line for a couple hours for international travel a few weeks back. I can tell you that everyone was wearing masks properly, was spaced apart 6 feet and we were outdoors. I was wearing a KN95 mask, so felt pretty safe. But, I can only speak for the line that I was in.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:12 PM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
We see what you're doing. Words like "authoritarian" give it away. The point is to make me look bad and frankly unlawful when 1) the things I say can and likely will be done eventually mostly have been done before in the USA and 2) the only slightly right-ish court hardly would have a chance to block. For example, closing various venues when spread is high and many of those companies eventually closing because they're losing money. Also, more/lower capacity limits, more people required to wear medical-grade masks, more legal enforcement of quarantine, less tolerance for fake vaccine cards, less tolerance for careless employees who cause outbreaks, etc. Plus, funding for safer air and public education and warnings about unsafe gatherings. Not sure about vaccine rental/occupancy mandates, though they are legal and might help a lot. We know you are doing this (a close cousin of the "you're unreasonably fearful" tactic) because you don't want to change your lifestyle, but it's probably fact that you and many others will have to do so for the situation to significantly improve in not many years.
I could care less how you "look" on a message board. You completely ignored the points I had about restrictions NOT WORKING and the data backing that up. All you would be doing is creating economic ruin.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

You are living in an alternate reality. No, none of the stuff youre talking about is going to happen EVER on a national level. Legal enforcement of quarantine???? That is authoritarian to the max. So if you want to not be authoritarian you should stop making suggestions that are precisely that. What's next, the military patrolling the streets and forcing people into their own homes?

Lifestyle is not for you to determine. You don't make decisions that impact anyone. Im recovered from Covid and boosted. You, and others like you, will have no say over how I live my life just as I wont tell you how to live.

LIVE IN THE WORLD THAT IS and not the one in your mind. Americans have NO tolerance for strict measures this far into the pandemic, period. Enacting them is political suicide. The Federal Government has made it crystal clear no new measuring that require lockdowns or business closures. You can clutch your pearls and be horrified, but thats just the way things go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California