Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 AM

395 posts, read 859,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
Saying "in Ontario French is but a very small minority of the population" is a very misleading statement in this context. Yes, it is true by itself, the French are a small minority of the population within Ontario as a whole. But there are REGIONS of Ontario where the French are a substantial portion, even the majority. Geographically significant regions, in fact. Basically the entire region around Sudbury-Timmins-Hearst-Kapuskasing, a very large region geographically as well as the whole region not just within Ottawa but Cornwall-Hawkesbury-Clarence-Rockland and everywhere in between.

In these regions, to the best of my knowledge, the French language and Francophone culture are alive and well.
Yes but it's very easy as the province as whole to support the language.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 AM

218 posts, read 1,240,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Yes but it's very easy as the province as whole to support the language.
Ontario as a whole is quite accommodating toward French, I don't know where you've got the idea from that the Ontario government isn't. Pretty much all government documents are in English and French, signs too even in regions where French isn't a major language.

Personally it bugs me that highway signs in Toronto have French but highway signs in Montreal don't have English. Quite a double standard I'd say. Not that I believe the signs in Montreal need to have English, but I think if the highway signs in Toronto were unilingual in English that'd be fine too. Montreal is a far more bilingual city than Toronto, but as I've said I'm willing to accept certain compromises and the sign laws and unilingual French signs are among the compromises I find acceptable personally.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
If you got a better solution to the problem I'd love to hear it.
This is not something that the government should seek to solve. Cultural engineering is objectionable.

If the government can't tell consenting adults with whom they can bed down, then why is it reasonable for them to tell you, your co-workers and your boss what language you must use in the workplace? The private affairs of law-abilding citizens should not be subject to public intervention and meddling. Fin.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
This is not something that the government should seek to solve. Cultural engineering is objectionable.

If the government can't tell consenting adults with whom they can bed down, then why is it reasonable for them to tell you, your co-workers and your boss what language you must use in the workplace? The private affairs of law-abilding citizens should not be subject to public intervention and meddling. Fin.
But these are not private affairs, there business affairs, most countries have laws dictated the use of a language in business.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
But these are not private affairs, there business affairs, most countries have laws dictated the use of a language in business.
Public = government
Private = non-government

Old 09-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Public = government
Private = non-government
Alright I guess I mistaken personal for private.

Still what is your solution, having no linguistic protection for french is not a scenario that would ever happen, so keeping this in mind do you have any ideas.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Alright I guess I mistaken personal for private.

Still what is your solution, having no linguistic protection for french is not a scenario that would ever happen, so keeping this in mind do you have any ideas.
My solution is no linguistic protection. My people have largely stopped speaking their language and it doesn't bother me one bit. Instead of speaking a marginal language -- and for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not characterizing French as marginal -- I speak the world's lingua franca. It worked out great for me. Win, win, win.

If people want to keep speaking their language or if there's a market-driven need for them to keep speaking their language, then it will remain a vital force. Otherwise, it will wither and die. Change is constant and language isn't beyond the reach of such dynamic forces.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My solution is no linguistic protection. My people have largely stopped speaking their language and it doesn't bother me one bit. Instead of speaking a marginal language -- and for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not characterizing French as marginal -- I speak the world's lingua franca. It worked out great for me. Win, win, win.

If people want to keep speaking their language or if there's a market-driven need for them to keep speaking their language, then it will remain a vital force. Otherwise, it will wither and die. Change is constant and language isn't beyond the reach of such dynamic forces.
Language has always in part been dictated by the state. Whether it be a democracy or a feudal state. Your idea while decent isn't an answer to a political problem. French canadians are not gonna give up their language.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM

218 posts, read 1,240,939 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure most countries don't have laws about the use of language in business.

Also, what do you think of my suggestions re Quebec's business laws?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Almost never? French is the second-most spoken language in six of the nine provinces outside Quebec, and in all of the provinces from Manitoba eastwards. In most provinces it is second by a fair margin.
Oddy though not so much in Toronto. Only 2% of Torontonians have french as a first language. This fact always surprised me. Then again, IMO I prefer Montreal over Toronto (I don't miss TO traffic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada