Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times

Advertisements

"How much of culture sock is it moving to Canada or being in Canada for Americans?"

Culture sock? would these be culture socks?

https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...w=1280&bih=662
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I say it as roof [maybe it's that double "oo" - explaination found later in this post]. We lived up near Rochester, NY. Maybe the way you heard it perhaps they were just joking? We had a comedian in our house - my Dad. He would say to our dog, "what's on top of the house?" and of course, the dog does his bark which is more of a ruff than a roof but you get the picture, right? That's how we jokingly sometimes say ruff rather than roof. Maybe there are some that make the 'oo' sound in roof, more like an a sound but I thought that was more like when it's only one o in the word rather than a double oo together? I'm somewhat guilty saying the word, rock or Rochester with an a in place of the o but it's only with certain words. I can't do it too much with words like word or soft but words like hot and rock, well... guilty as charged .

I don't think the Canadians way of saying things or doing things is strange but I'm sure it might take a while to get used to just as it might be for them when it comes to the U.S. Maybe some are already use to hearing words said a different way because they have a close friend or relative/s that live on the other side of the border or that they themselves have spent a considerable amount of time in either place? I know for myself doing the metric may be more challenging as I'm not used to it but then I'm not a pro at the US version of measurements either. I'd at least prefer picking up on languages than doing any kind of math and some of
my friends and/or relatives would probably choose math over language.

I don't know about the banks opening later as even in the US, some are open later than others. As for the athletic centers or sports centers - some malls or big shopping and residential areas do have these. There's
alot of shopping and recreational that was purposely built around a residential center in Northern Virginia. Actually I'm not sure if the idea of the shopping and recreational was purposely built around the residential area or vice versa. In either case, I think it's a great idea. I wish more places had that option but with that, more than likely, the prices would be signficantly higher. Still, there's a number of people who would support such a complex. I might even be tempted but alot would depend on how much it would cost me, and the advantages/disadvantages if one has any pets.

Okay now I'm confused with the word root. I thought people in Canada they stress the oo in roof? Where in he US in the south or the sun belt cities say it like rerf / er sound.

I'm sure the west cost or north part of the US don't say ruff some one may think you saying rough or dog that bark that makes ruff sound.The ruff sound that sounds like it is on rough surface or the Dog that marks that makes ruff sound.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
and the fact you can't get biscuits at KFC.
Can you get McLobster in the US?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
I prefer these culture socks!

American socks - Google Search

Quote:
Do Canadians feel safe in the US ?

I can't speak for anyone else, but no. I did not feel safe in the US.

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Can you get McLobster in the US?
Yup in Maine, but I swear I will never eat one.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Yup in Maine, but I swear I will never eat one.
It's pretty awful.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
From what I seen Canadians dress way more casual than people in south or sun belt cities in the US with may be the exception of Florida.
They do? I've travelled a lot, but have yet to explore my own country. I don't think they dress very casually in Montreal, though. It's all hipster chic. You wouldn't catch women wearing jogging suits or pyjamas out in public.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but no. I did not feel safe in the US.
Out of curiosity where did you live? I personally have never felt unsafe anywhere in the US, but I adapt pretty well everywhere I end up in the world.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
I'm a Canadian who lives in the US and have experienced minimal culture shock. To me, both countries constitute the North American way of life and the day-to-day life is really not that different when you take a global view of things. Of course there are subtle differences in language, ideals, attitudes, and institutions that we can go into but many differences are regional vs. country specific as well.

Broadly speaking (b/c they are both very regionalized countries), there are some things I like better in Canada (collective mindset, more orderly, open-minded) and some in the US (industriousness, can-do attitude, meritocracy) but both are pretty great places to live. The best place for someone (excl family ties) will depend on one's attitudes, what they want out of life, and weather/amenities preferences. The truth is, they are both first world countries so someone is born on either side of the border doesn't really have good reason to move unless for e.g. someone is trying to accomplish something in Canada that is not well supported (weather it be in arts, business, technology, etc..) or if they want a different climate/amenities.

Overall, people can hark on the differences but I find both countries are far more similar than different and neither is very exotic if you are from one or the other. To be honest, I'll really love the opportunity to live somewhere that is really different like Europe or Asia. That would be a real culture shock.

Last edited by johnathanc; 05-10-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada