Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 06:13 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,306,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I've spent entire summers there given that my father was working as a CFO for a company in the tristate area by the name of AEP before retiring. Even prior to that I'd spend weeks at a time there simply because 3/4th's of my extended family lives there.

His opinion is that the US is better. That is not my experience, particularly as a minority and as a woman who has had to fear for my life and personal safety in that country. His opinion is not more valid than mine.

Something does not add up....you are the daughter of a retired CFO and somehow hang around dangerous neighborhoods....hmmm

By the way, in terms of probability of career success, statistically I would rather be a minority or a woman in US than Canada....just saying....

...as we are having this discussion, quick reputation messages keep piling up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:18 PM

854 posts, read 586,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Something does not add up....you are the daughter of a retired CFO and somehow hang around dangerous neighborhoods....hmmm

By the way, in terms of probability of career success, statistically I would rather be a minority or a woman in US than Canada....just saying....

...as we are having this discussion, quick reputation messages keep piling up....

Stepdaughter, actually, but raised by him since 18 months old. Are you implying that I'm a liar as well? That didn't go over so well for your redneck friend. If you would like to private message me your email address and your own identity, I would be happy to trade pictures, links and notes. Or is it that you are also a latent racist and just don't believe that a black person could in any way be related to an educated man? Sounds like a Yankee to me.

And I happen to think that all of the neighbourhoods in the US outside of gated communities are dangerous neighbourhoods. Particularly at night.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
You literally cannot accept that there are any individuals in the world who do not choose to live in America, do not want to be further enmeshed with America, or did not attempt to prior to moving elsewhere. And yet, we are the delusional and arrogant ones.

K. If you say so.

No, you are the one that cannot accept the truth...as simple as that....the US is way more attractive for professional immigrant than Canada will ever be in the foreseeable future....nobody in his own mind would dispute that.

There are some people that given the choice would pick Canada over than the US?? Sure....but not that many....as an immigrant I personally met none...but I did meet people that could not make it into the US and declared that Canada is the best...quite few of them....you do the math

Old 02-08-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
No, you are the one that cannot accept the truth...as simple as that....the US is way more attractive for professional immigrant than Canada will ever be in the foreseeable future....nobody in his own mind would dispute that.

There are some people that given the choice would pick Canada over than the US?? Sure....but not that many....as an immigrant I personally met none...but I did meet people that could not make it into the US and declared that Canada is the best...quite few of them....you do the math

OK. And?

Even if that is true, we still don't want barriers between the US and Canada to be erased. We like our national sovereignty and prefer our own culture. I actually don't dispute that I may have had the opportunity to be more economically successful in the US. At the age of 16, I was scouted by a hip hop modelling agency located on Wall Street for a meeting. Lots of video vixens in America actually hail from Canada. I chose to come home.

To some of us, money isn't everything. Culture is important. You have made it clear that you are proud of the gun culture and massive income disparities in your country. You're also proud of the meritocracy. All of those things are well and good, and your right. Why can you not respect Canadians' right to like being Canadians and living in Canada with OUR laws and OUR culture?

Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM

For example, this is a representation of our OWN unique culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_NHL_players

Nearly every black hockey player in the history of the league was born HERE.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
+1

Also, I met quite few people living in Canada that "have to like Canada" because simply they have no where else to go.

Take our friend Torontocheka Brit friends....they probably cannot get into the US in the first place.
Why would they necessarily want to today?

Most Americans can't handle a $500 surprise bill - CBS News

Most Americans are one paycheck away from the street - MarketWatch

The 35.4 Percent: 109,631,000 on Welfare

Food Stamp Beneficiaries Exceed 46,000,000 for 38 Straight Months

Staggering: 1 Out Of 3 Americans (109 Million!) On Welfare | Off The Grid News

Somethings not adding up here!

Finally:

33 Million Americans Still Don’t Have Health Insurance | FiveThirtyEight

Old 02-08-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Stepdaughter, actually, but raised by him since 18 months old. Are you implying that I'm a liar as well? That didn't go over so well for your redneck friend. If you would like to private message me your email address and your own identity, I would be happy to trade pictures, links and notes. Or is it that you are also a latent racist and just don't believe that a black person could in any way be related to an educated man? Sounds like a Yankee to me.

And I happen to think that all of the neighbourhoods in the US outside of gated communities are dangerous neighbourhoods. Particularly at night.

My goodness you have a huge boulder on your shoulder.....where I ever doubted that a black man could be a CFO, a pilot or a doctor?? Are you insane?? My doctor is African american, my wife aunt is a very successful African American businesswoman, one of my hobby buddy is an African American airline captain!! You call me racist?? You are truly pathetic my friend, get off you unresolved anger issues.

I just expressed perplexity on why the daughter of a White/Black/Chinese/Indian or whatever ethnic background financial professional need to hang around neighborhoods where "she constantly fear for you life"

Sorry but you are coming across as a kook...

Old 02-08-2016, 06:27 PM

525 posts, read 454,363 times
Quote:

I strongly prefer Canada to the US, but you're definitely right in that regard. If I remember correctly, more people move from Canada to the US than vice versa, even though the US has a much larger population. That being said, it doesn't make the US objectively better (I'm not accusing you of thinking otherwise; I just wanted to clarify for anyone else reading this).

Old 02-08-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
My goodness you have a huge boulder on your shoulder.....where I ever doubted that a black man could be a CFO, a pilot or a doctor?? Are you insane?? My doctor is African american, my wife aunt is a very successful African American businesswoman, one of my hobby buddy is an African American airline captain!! You call me racist?? You are truly pathetic my friend, get off you unresolved anger issues.

I just expressed perplexity on why the daughter of a White/Black/Chinese/Indian or whatever ethnic background financial professional need to hang around neighborhoods where "she constantly fear for you life"

Sorry but you are coming across as a kook...

I fear for my life the instant I step across the border. That has already been made clear, citing examples of Canadians who were doing mundane things like seeing a movie when they got shot to death in America, and you've already expressed your disbelief. There's no need to try and feign more.

I can't help but think you are lacking a spouse or active social life since you're so eager to repeat yourself to strangers.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:30 PM

You want to play a link war game?.....Sure..let's do it...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle27742769/

Income inequality - Canada and world results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada