Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 10:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
Why do you always defend the US in favour of Canada? In America they're black people aren't allowed to go in certain stores or eat at certain restaurants and then they wonder why their black people typically committ so many crimes. That's a much more poignant example that shows how different it is than something mundane like planting trees. Boston probably wouldn't look like a huge slum if they tried a more tolerant approach to dealing with their black people like we do in the more should we say enlightened parts of the world.
Wow. Next time a Canadian complains to me how Americans don't know much about their country, I just need to point to this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 10:35 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. Next time a Canadian complains to me how Americans don't know much about their country, I just need to point to this post.
It's frankly embarrassing.

"Canada never had slavery"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada

Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
This has to be a parody...

One would hope. But, no.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Yes! Please do. And also ask them what they know about their OWN country. Ask them where in Canada they've travelled, and I'll bet many of them have barely travelled outside of their home provinces.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes! Please do. And also ask them what they know about their OWN country. Ask them where in Canada they've travelled, and I'll bet many of them have barely travelled outside of their home provinces.
Not to belabor the point. As someone who has traveled all over Canada on business and pleasure, it's a terrific place. Filled to the rafters with intelligent, courteous, civic minded people.

Yet you run across the occasional Canadian with a chip on his shoulder who demands to know why I don't know every nuance of his country's history, yet will turn around and be frightfully ignorant of mine.

In other words, every country has its share of know-nothings. Canada is no exception.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
Why do you always defend the US in favour of Canada? In America they're black people aren't allowed to go in certain stores or eat at certain restaurants and then they wonder why their black people typically committ so many crimes. That's a much more poignant example that shows how different it is than something mundane like planting trees. Boston probably wouldn't look like a huge slum if they tried a more tolerant approach to dealing with their black people like we do in the more should we say enlightened parts of the world.
"Defend the U.S. in favour of Canada" Say whaaah? Read that again Can1 and tell me if you still think you're making any sense at all.

The rest of your post just needs to be consigned a value commiserate with yesterday's breakfast.

The likelyhood of a part of most private property being designated an "easement" or that part of a lot survey that could be used at any time for installation of public services such as water/electric/sewer/natural gas/roadway widening/service access roads etc., is quite commonly subject to rules pertaining to use of that land even though it forms part of your deeded land parcel.

It is a common misconception that people own and control that part of their property that abuts the edge of a roadway when in fact it is common for at least 30 some feet from the center of the average subdivision/housing development street to be designated town/city easement set-back for sidewalks and under ground services. As such you apply for a permit or you request the city to plant one of "acceptable" deciduous leaf bearing trees. Plant it yourself without the necessary permission and expect to see it gone in the morning in most locales of Canada.

Indentured slavery did indeed exist in Canada and you need only google Joseph Brant to get a real eye opener as to how that exceptional Aboriginal human being, as just one example, not only sold off his peoples treaty-granted-from-the-King lands to build a mansion near Hamilton Ontario but bought indentured black slaves to staff the place. It would seem he didn't mind designating at least some minorities subservient.

Give the inflammatory nonsense a rest for now. The adults were having a reasonable, intelligent and articulate conversation.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Not to belabor the point. As someone who has traveled all over Canada on business and pleasure, it's a terrific place. Filled to the rafters with intelligent, courteous, civic minded people.

Yet you run across the occasional Canadian with a chip on his shoulder who demands to know why I don't know every nuance of his country's history, yet will turn around and be frightfully ignorant of mine.

In other words, every country has its share of know-nothings. Canada is no exception.
An accurate assessment that I fear may be more prevalent today regardless of the internet making knowledge readily available.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
LOL 'Canada number one" is not a serious poster. It's probably the aboot troll.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeauchamp View Post
he isn't arguing with numbers. He said that there are specific groups of people who commit gun crimes in america. If you are a white person, your chance of ever being shot in america is about the same as in canada. If you are a 20 year old african-american gang member then you are more likely to get shot in the us than in canada. The reason canada is "safer" is because it has a lot less young african american gang members. It isn't because of government or anything like that, even though it makes us feel superior to say it. If aboriginals were 15% of the population instead of 3%, our violent crime rate would be like that in the us. Saturno is just dumping some ice on these myths and exposing how they are twisted in a certain way that supports canadians nationalism. It only supports our nationalism that shows canada as doing something better, even when it has nothing to do with who's government is better and everything to with demographics and history.
I suggest you re-read his post. His response was countering someone's post that you are more likely to get shot in the US. This is true. A simple fact. By him stating you can get shot in Canada, he was obviously trying to equate Canada to the US. Which is a joke.
You don't have to be a gang member or black in the US to get shot.

Forget the gang violence or race and just look at the numbers of accidental shootings that result in injury or death, plus suicides.

He also has indicated FALSELY that getting a hand gun in Canada is routine. It isn't.

This has NOTHING to do with Canadian nationalism. This has EVERYTHING to do with correcting peoples false statements.

How often does this happen in Canada?

‘Loving mother’ fatally shot at Walmart by 2-year-old son | Toronto Star

and another 2 year old

South Carolina 2-Year-Old Shoots Grandmother in Back With Revolver - NBC News

Good Samaritan Fatally Shot by Stranded Motorist He Was Trying to Help on North Carolina Roadway: Reports | KTLA

Prosecutor: No charges filed against dad who mistakenly shot, ki - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

I could sit here all day posting the thousands of stories that happen every year, but it's too depressing.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
In Canada you can legally own exactly the same type of guns you can own in the US...no more no less, including AR-15s...you have to go through more hoops but nothing prevents John Doe from Vancouver or Calgary to own a semi automatic rifle...and to go nuts if a wire trips in his brain....

By the way, Canada has a fairly high gun ownership rate (#12 in the world)...and Switzerland?? #4.....how many mass shooting the poor Swiss have every year??

It's cultural my dear....

Before you say it...are you one of these people that believe you can buy an "assault rifle" in the US?? Let's clarify, no you cannot buy an assault rifle in America...fully automatic weapons were already restricted since 1934 and effectively banned by 1968...you can only own (with a special permit) fully automatic weapons produced before that date and they are all squirreled away in wealthy collector safes and are worth their weight in gold...nobody use them in crimes.

What about these cute Remington 742 that millions of granpas in Canada and the US used for decades to hunt deer in the wooden areas of the continent...they definitely look less "scary" than the black evil AR don't they??...too bad they are much more deadly....firing a cartridge about 3 times as powerful as an AR at the same rate of fire....should we ban these too??
Are you being disingenuous ? Yes people CAN own guns legally in Canada, THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT GROUP OF PEOPLE ALLOWED TO OWN GUNS IS SMALLER! The hoops you speak of PREVENT many from owning hand guns as well as other Prohibited and Restricted weapons.

I suggest others read my earlier posts with the RCMP links proving that point.

Also the Switzerland comparison is an old pathetic unreasoned response.

"Anyone who compares the United States’ fetish with guns and the firearm policies in the United States to what happens in Switzerland is completely ignorant of the laws in Switzerland. Which is probably why the NRA mentions them frequently in their propaganda. Ironically, gun laws are far stricter than those in the United States. Due to an increase in firearm related suicides, Swiss citizens have even called for stricter bans on firearms."

The Next Time A Gun Nut Brings Up Switzerland Show Them This (IMAGE)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada