Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 PM

854 posts, read 585,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Where does it say anything about private property on that link?

I thought you would get the gist by the use of the term "the resident..." basically, the hearing is for those charged with planting trees without the proper permit first.

You can also be charged with improper lawncare/tree maintenance.

Now, I really ought to be going to bed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:51 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Saturno, did anyone ever say that gun laws were to blame and not culture?

...so why arguing for more gun restrictions for law-abiding citizens?? The whole thread started careening towards the usual bogeyman "too many guns in the US"

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-04-2016 at 10:06 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...so why arguing for more gun restrictions for lawful citizens?? The whole thread started careening towards the usual bogeyman "too many guns in the US"

I believe a previous user pointed out that in Canada we do not have the right to own handguns, only long-guns, and those have to be registered. That is not an argument for American "lawful citizens" to have more gun restrictions. That is just a statement of the laws and culture in Canada, adding the caveat that we generally like it this way because a mass shooting every few years rather than 360 in one year is fine by us.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I thought you would get the gist by the use of the term "the resident..." basically, the hearing is for those charged with planting trees without the proper permit first.

You can also be charged with improper lawncare/tree maintenance.

Now, I really ought to be going to bed....
None of the links for tree wardens suggest anything but public land, both planting and tree removal. It says that any resident can request a tree to be planted in front of their home, but to me this clearly reads that this is about public land, like if you want a tree planted on the boulevard opposite your home.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I believe a previous user pointed out that in Canada we do not have the right to own handguns, only long-guns, and those have to be registered. That is not an argument for American "lawful citizens" to have more gun restrictions. That is just a statement of the laws and culture in Canada, adding the caveat that we generally like it this way because a mass shooting every few years rather than 360 in one year is fine by us.
That's the way I saw it.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
...so why arguing for more gun restrictions for lawful citizens?? The whole thread started careening towards the usual bogeyman "too many guns in the US"
I don't know who is arguing that other than Canadians by and large do feel that within our context there are too many guns in the US.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 PM

170 posts, read 182,348 times
I don't want to re-read the entire thread but I agree that torontocheeka is heavily overstating the role of guns in the US. I find it hard to believe that someone with family in the US has "never ever felt safe" in the US. You can usually tell who has spent time in the US and Canada and who is only regurgitating what they see in the media.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:

.....and what is the relationship between gun laws in Canada and having less per capita mass shooting compared to the US....where is the connection?? Please explain....

Old 02-04-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
None of the links for tree wardens suggest anything but public land, both planting and tree removal. It says that any resident can request a tree to be planted in front of their home, but to me this clearly reads that this is about public land, like if you want a tree planted on the boulevard opposite your home.
It's not just the boulevard opposite your home. In practise, it's also the end of lawn divided by a sidewalk. I guess technically speaking that may be considered public property but I would consider that private property myself, given that it's situated in front of one's house.

There have also been example cases I've read about - one in particular in Salem, MA - trying to get the link to work from the local paper and getting 503 error. In any case it's not uncommon for a bureaucratic head to overstep their boundaries so obviously examples and cases exist.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
.....and what is the relationship between gun laws in Canada and having less per capita mass shooting compared to the US....where is the connection?? Please explain....

Really? Why not just ask me what is the relationship between a deadly weapon that can kill only one person at a time vs. a deadly weapon that can kill dozens at a time? I have seen no evidence that Canadians stab people at lower rates than Americans do, only that we have a lower number of firearm homicides per capita... which makes sense, since there are fewer people with guns. A lower number of firearm homicides = a lower number of overall homicides per capita. Because no one has ever heard of one person committing a "mass stabbing."

Japan effectively eliminated firearm deaths from the country, which effectively lowered the homicide rate to almost nothing. It's a lot easier to control the influx of guns when you're on an island though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada