Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 08:33 PM

854 posts, read 586,389 times

Advertisements

Also, who is trying to sell a country? If anything, Americans are being told to stay home and preserve their own culture. They don't need to be amalgamated into ours or vice-versa. That sounds promotional to you?

Is this a language barrier you are having?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 08:49 PM

542 posts, read 503,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I only "cherry-picked" North Dakota in the sense that they have an extremely high gun ownership rate, and are statistically 90% white, considerably more white than 50% white Toronto. 1.2% of North Dakota's residents are black, compared to 9% of Toronto residents, but nice attempt at scapegoating.

I am looking to verify what you said (if you could provide your source, that would be great) about the white homicide rate in America. By the way, if it is in fact 2.5 per 100,000, that still makes it roughly double Canada's - minorities included.
No, I'm not scapegoating I am saying that as Canadians we should take full responsibility for our past of slavery and treatment of the natives. I'm not the one using the shortcomings of these groups to promote a pro-Canada is utopia agenda. I think you are abusing history's black marks to be used as an opportunity to promote Canadian nationalism. Slavery and the treatment of the aboriginals had real effects that has on these populations. Canada benefited from slavery but without any of the responsibility of cleaning up the problems much like the British but that's another story. As for the aboriginals, we really screwed them and any where that they are has a higher murder rate than anywhere else, and the group is comparable to African-Americans in this way. It sounds really racist that we have sunk to the level of gloating about who has the less screwed up historically abused minority population as a way to promote Canadian nationalism.

Also Canada is about as white as North Dakota - remember we were comparing to Canada, not Toronto. Toronto is the biggest demographic anomaly in all of Canada and hardly representative of the whole country.

A 2.5 murder rate compared to 1.8 in Canada? So in other words being murdered in either country is exceptionally unlikely. But that doesn't fit the agenda that says that Canada is Pleasantville and the USA is a warzone. Isn't Detroit always prestended that way? Interesting how leftist Canadian nationalists love to point out all of the "black" places in America and tell people not to travel there. Don't go to Detroit, don't go to St. Louis, Baltimore, Chicago, et cetera, but notice they never tell you to avoid San Fransisco or Seattle. Interesting how you guys always pick the places with the most black people to call a warzone and to use as an example of how crappy the US is.

Northwest Territories has a murder rate 5 times higher than that. Guess who is overwhelmingly represented in the Northwest Territories? It ain't privileged white anglo saxon protestants or master's degree holding Indian-Canadians....So why is the Northwest Territories so much more dangerous than PEI? What laws in PEI make it so much safer....or is it because of the demographics and historical records that make them a safer group of people?

So you still continue dodging this. If Canada is safer because of government, how do you explain the fact that these minorities of natives and blacks have disproportionately high murder rates no matter what country they are in and despite both countries different governments? You can't. It doesn't matter if we compare PEI to Northwest Territories or North Dakota to Hawaii. The most murderous places are the ones that have

(BTW you got one thing correct, I misread the black % of North Dakota).

Old 02-04-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
No, I'm not scapegoating I am saying that as Canadians we should take full responsibility for our past of slavery and treatment of the natives. I'm not the one using the shortcomings of these groups to promote a pro-Canada is utopia agenda. I think you are abusing history's black marks to be used as an opportunity to promote Canadian nationalism. Slavery and the treatment of the aboriginals had real effects that has on these populations. Canada benefited from slavery but without any of the responsibility of cleaning up the problems much like the British but that's another story. As for the aboriginals, we really screwed them and any where that they are has a higher murder rate than anywhere else, and the group is comparable to African-Americans in this way. It sounds really racist that we have sunk to the level of gloating about who has the less screwed up historically abused minority population as a way to promote Canadian nationalism.

Also Canada is about as white as North Dakota - remember we were comparing to Canada, not Toronto. Toronto is the biggest demographic anomaly in all of Canada and hardly representative of the whole country.

A 2.5 murder rate compared to 1.8 in Canada? So in other words being murdered in either country is exceptionally unlikely. But that doesn't fit the agenda that says that Canada is Pleasantville and the USA is a warzone. Isn't Detroit always prestended that way? Interesting how leftist Canadian nationalists love to point out all of the "black" places in America and tell people not to travel there. Don't go to Detroit, don't go to St. Louis, Baltimore, Chicago, et cetera, but notice they never tell you to avoid San Fransisco or Seattle. Interesting how you guys always pick the places with the most black people to call a warzone and to use as an example of how crappy the US is.

Northwest Territories has a murder rate 5 times higher than that. Guess who is overwhelmingly represented in the Northwest Territories? It ain't privileged white anglo saxon protestants or master's degree holding Indian-Canadians....So why is the Northwest Territories so much more dangerous than PEI? What laws in PEI make it so much safer....or is it because of the demographics and historical records that make them a safer group of people?

So you still continue dodging this. If Canada is safer because of government, how do you explain the fact that these minorities of natives and blacks have disproportionately high murder rates no matter what country they are in and despite both countries different governments? You can't. It doesn't matter if we compare PEI to Northwest Territories or North Dakota to Hawaii. The most murderous places are the ones that have

(BTW you got one thing correct, I misread the black % of North Dakota).

Sorry, but as of the last census, Canada is 75% white, and North Dakota is 90% white. Canada's homicide rate is 1.4 per 100,000, and North Dakota's is (ONLY using firearms not even counting other forms of homicide) 12.3 per 100,000.

You say that black people here have disproportionately high murder rates, but I just checked the part of Canada with the highest number of blacks (Brampton Ontario is 13.5% black, considerably higher than the national black rate of 3%) and it looks like their homicide rate is -5.97% below the national average, according to Macleans: Canada

By the way, I am black.

I don't pretend to know what it's like to live on a reserve or all of the aggravating factors contributing to higher homicide rates among Native Canadians, but I assume historical and ongoing segregation does not help matters.

I also never claimed that "Canada is safer because of government," although government policies can certainly help or hinder matters. I think this is less about government and more about common sense which some folks seem to lack and seem to be pretty adamant about remaining ignorant. The more guns there are in a given place, and the easier access that people have to guns, the more crazy people will also have easy access to guns, and this will allow them to shoot people.

Also, you can kill more people at once with a gun than you can with a knife, which also explains a lot of the discrepancy in homicide rate.

Don't forget that America's suicide rate with firearms is also very high. Nothing like a depressed person having a gun or two in the house!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 PM

542 posts, read 503,690 times
Quote:
Also, who is trying to sell a country? If anything, Americans are being told to stay home and preserve their own culture. They don't need to be amalgamated into ours or vice-versa. That sounds promotional to you?

Is this a language barrier you are having?
No, I am fully bilingual and you wouldn't even know I am a francophone. At one point around my early teen years I was probably a better English speaker than a French speaker because the area where I lived I had to go to school in English. It's just the way people write online can be a little bit jumbled more than in a formal setting or if we are speaking face to face.

I see your agenda as one that is incredibly common in Canada and that promotes Canada to Americans and others as a utopian society. In reality anglo Canada is basically a boring version of America, with a crappy economy and a dogmatic society that is incredibly intolerant of anyone that questions radical feminism, multiculturalism, and myths like Canadians being more polite than other nationalities. The Canada you describe isn't what someone finds when they go to Canada. For example, when you show America as being more racist, I don't agree. A lot of African Americans regularly comment about going to Canada expecting to find the tolerant utopia that you and others describe Canada as and instead they find Canada more racist or not any better. I think it does a big disservice to the entire country to promote as an ideal that we can't possibly ever measure up to.

In fact I'll offer an example before I log off.

Newdixiegirl talked a while ago about going back to Canada with her kids, and how all of the "polite" Canadians treated her children poorly for being American. I don't know her personally but that story sounds like a much more accurate picture of the reality of Canada than the utopian and colorblind "let's all hold hands" society that you and others like to promote. Canadians are typically very anti-American to a point where they can't even see how silly it is, and the biggest hypocrisy is that it comes from the people who do the most talking about multiculturalism & tolerating different kinds of people but hypocritically they can't even tolerate the nationality most similar to them! In true Canadian fashion these kinds of issues are swept under the rug. If we can't even be free of prejudice when it comes to the nationality most similar to ourselves then Canada is in for a very rude awakening when our various visible minority groups are no longer 2% of the population, respectively, and start to become more numerous and politically/economically powerful.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:05 PM

428 posts, read 451,317 times
Pbeau, I rarely agree with you, but your last few posts have been brilliant. Cheers!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,306,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes I thought we did. If I remember correctly you lost that argument. I seem to remember Chevy, the lawyer, explaining exactly what I said in regards to handgun. You can NOT get a hand gun in Canada for protection. Only for the reasons quoted from the RCMP site.

...no I won that argument soundly ..having problem with memory??

We established you can legally own a handgun in Canada meaning you can commit a handgun related crime in Canada, period.....what the non issuing of permits for protection has anything to do with it?? Criminals or people at some point intent to commit a crime do not care about carrying permits...what is so hard to understand??

Lawful gun owners do not commit crimes.

The problem is cultural not legal gun ownership.

Quote:
He isn't arguing with numbers. He said that there are specific groups of people who commit gun crimes in America. If you are a white person, your chance of ever being shot in America is about the same as in Canada. If you are a 20 year old African-American gang member then you are more likely to get shot in the US than in Canada. The reason Canada is "safer" is because it has a lot less young African American gang members. It isn't because of government or anything like that, even though it makes us feel superior to say it. If Aboriginals were 15% of the population instead of 3%, our violent crime rate would be like that in the US. Saturno is just dumping some ice on these myths and exposing how they are twisted in a certain way that supports Canadians nationalism. It only supports our nationalism that shows Canada as doing something better, even when it has nothing to do with who's government is better and everything to with demographics and history.

Bingo!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
No, I am fully bilingual and you wouldn't even know I am a francophone. At one point around my early teen years I was probably a better English speaker than a French speaker because the area where I lived I had to go to school in English. It's just the way people write online can be a little bit jumbled more than in a formal setting or if we are speaking face to face.

I see your agenda as one that is incredibly common in Canada and that promotes Canada to Americans and others as a utopian society. In reality anglo Canada is basically a boring version of America, with a crappy economy and a dogmatic society that is incredibly intolerant of anyone that questions radical feminism, multiculturalism, and myths like Canadians being more polite than other nationalities. The Canada you describe isn't what someone finds when they go to Canada. For example, when you show America as being more racist, I don't agree. A lot of African Americans regularly comment about going to Canada expecting to find the tolerant utopia that you and others describe Canada as and instead they find Canada more racist or not any better. I think it does a big disservice to the entire country to promote as an ideal that we can't possibly ever measure up to.

In fact I'll offer an example before I log off.

Newdixiegirl talked a while ago about going back to Canada with her kids, and how all of the "polite" Canadians treated her children poorly for being American. I don't know her personally but that story sounds like a much more accurate picture of the reality of Canada than the utopian and colorblind "let's all hold hands" society that you and others like to promote. Canadians are typically very anti-American to a point where they can't even see how silly it is, and the biggest hypocrisy is that it comes from the people who do the most talking about multiculturalism & tolerating different kinds of people but hypocritically they can't even tolerate the nationality most similar to them! In true Canadian fashion these kinds of issues are swept under the rug. If we can't even be free of prejudice when it comes to the nationality most similar to ourselves then Canada is in for a very rude awakening when our various visible minority groups are no longer 2% of the population, respectively, and start to become more numerous and politically/economically powerful.

Sorry pbeau, but you are wrong. I am not trying to "promote" America to anyone. I have had the opportunity to move there on several occasions (again, the larger chunk of my family lives there, and they are the more religious, more black - due to segregation - and more mired in poverty branch of the family. They also speak English differently than the Canadian portion), and chose not to do so in spite of having a place to live ready for me when I got there and everything.

I only speak from my own experience and the experiences of the people I know. I have known black people who moved there, and came back because they couldn't deal with the amount of prejudice they had to endure when it came to dating and making friends. I go to America annually for a family reunion, and I never feel safe there - ever. If you believe that I want for there to be no barriers whatsoever to their free movement in and out of my country, you are very wrong. But you can believe what you want.

However, you still have never answered any of my questions. I would like to know what you think Canada would gain from amalgamating with the US? What would the average Canadian gain economically? What would we gain environmentally? What we would gain socially from having an informal third language and more guns? Can you even answer that question? You are the one who is trying to promote this idea that we should be like the EU, in spite of their much higher unemployment rates in all smaller countries that joined it. Why?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 PM

I would further add, pbeau, that I think it would behoove Americans to know that there is a certain amount of anti-American sentiment here and that a lot of the friendliness and politeness is surface-level and superficial because, at the end of the day, we prefer our own culture, which is why most of our immigrants invariably end up with the same bland TV accent. They shouldn't expect to come here and just be warmly welcomed and make friends right away. Typically, immigrants have to be thoroughly Canadianized before those born here will accept them. Maybe the best thing for Americans to do is stay home and whatever they don't like about where they live, they can try to be part of the solution, they can fix their own culture.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 PM

428 posts, read 451,317 times
Quote:
Sorry, but as of the last census, Canada is 75% white, and North Dakota is 90% white. Canada's homicide rate is 1.4 per 100,000, and North Dakota's is (ONLY using firearms not even counting other forms of homicide) 12.3 per 100,000.

You say that black people here have disproportionately high murder rates, but I just checked the part of Canada with the highest number of blacks (Brampton Ontario is 13.5% black, considerably higher than the national black rate of 3%) and it looks like their homicide rate is -5.97% below the national average, according to Macleans: Canada

By the way, I am black.

I don't pretend to know what it's like to live on a reserve or all of the aggravating factors contributing to higher homicide rates among Native Canadians, but I assume historical and ongoing segregation does not help matters.

I also never claimed that "Canada is safer because of government," although government policies can certainly help or hinder matters. I think this is less about government and more about common sense which some folks seem to lack and seem to be pretty adamant about remaining ignorant. The more guns there are in a given place, and the easier access that people have to guns, the more crazy people will also have easy access to guns, and this will allow them to shoot people.

Also, you can kill more people at once with a gun than you can with a knife, which also explains a lot of the discrepancy in homicide rate.

Don't forget that America's suicide rate with firearms is also very high. Nothing like a depressed person having a gun or two in the house!
The murder rate of North Dakota is 1.3 per 100,000 inhabitants. The murder rate of Canada is 1.4 per 100,000 people.

Murders involving guns drops to 0.6 out of 100,00 inhabitants.

That means that out of a population of 740,000 people, around 7 will be murdered in N.D. this year, and about 3 or 4 of those people will be killed by guns. Oh my god, close the borders everyone! Where are you getting your stats cheeka?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
The murder rate of North Dakota is 1.3 per 100,000 inhabitants. The murder rate of Canada is 1.4 per 100,000 people.

Murders involving guns drops to 0.6 out of 100,00 inhabitants.

That means that out of a population of 740,000 people, around 7 will be murdered in N.D. this year, and about 3 or 4 of those people will be killed by guns. Oh my god, close the borders everyone! Where are you getting your stats cheeka?

Number of Deaths Due to Injury by Firearms per 100,000 Population | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, it cites the 2013 census and the CDC.

Where are you getting your stats, about the black Canadian homicide rate and the white American homicide rate? I looked and all I found was this reference to the Native rate in Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada, which is indeed higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada