Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Historically southern Democrats are now Republicans.

And no horsemanure about how Canada, which never had the climate to support agriculture-based slavery, is not racist...

Missing, murdered indigenous women an election issue for all Canadians, advocates say - Politics - CBC News
Oh; it goes back much further than that:

200 years a slave: the dark history of captivity in Canada - The Globe and Mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 12:24 AM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Historically southern Democrats are now Republicans.

And no horsemanure about how Canada, which never had the climate to support agriculture-based slavery, is not racist...

Missing, murdered indigenous women an election issue for all Canadians, advocates say - Politics - CBC News
Even in this you fail to make a point. Aboriginal women in Canada have a femicide rate that is 7 times the national average. Most likely their own men are killing them.

In America, black women have a femicide rate that is 9 times the national average. The difference is there is no furor about it, and no one cares.

Americans are more racist. Period. End of.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Would like to know your academic credentials and references that back this up. Or is this just conjecture based upon you "not feeling comfortable" during those times that you visit the US?

Does your statement mean that every American is more racist than every Canadian? As a whole with "average racism"? Or that there are more racists per 100,000 people?

When you make such a strong statement you need to back it up please. Otherwise it's just opinion, possibly combined with some other emotion.

You might find this article interesting.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/o...out-of-mind-2/

Or this one.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...imination.html

Or this one.

http://ipolitics.ca/2015/03/12/the-e...g-more-racist/

Racism does appear to be alive and well in Canada in at least some form. From your perspective it may not be an issue because (1) you live in Toronto and (2) your color and ethnicity isn't the target of racism in Toronto.

It could very well be that Canada is less racist overall than in the US. I would like to see specific studies though and not just conjecture.

Last edited by markjames68; 02-07-2016 at 06:09 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 AM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
As I have already states in this thread, Canada is not a panacea. Are Canadians overall less racist than Americans? Absolutely.

As has also already been stated in this thread, Canadians have expressed more favourable attitudes towards interracial marriage since at least the mid-1970s than Americans do, and continue to have more favourable sentiment towards it today:Interracial unions more accepted in Canada than U.S.: report. A full 46% of Mississippi Republicans today still express opposition to it.

There are provisions against hate speech in the Criminal Code of Canada, whereas in the US, hate speech is protected under the First Amendment.

Also, according to StatsCan, my particular ethnicity is actually the most likely group to be targeted in hates crimes in Canada, and my ethnicity lives primarily in the GTA within Canada, so you're wrong on that point as well:
Ten facts you need to know from Statistics Canada’s new report detailing hate crimes in 2013, since you seem to be questioning my objectivity on the matter.

The number of immigrants per annum granted green cards in the US is roughly 250,000. The number of immigrants to Canada per annum granted permanent residency is... 250,000. At a 9th of the US population. That's 9 times more per capita. And Canadians still express more favourable views of Syrian refugees at immigration levels this high. However, in both Canada AND the US, anti-Muslim sentiment has been growing in recent years.

Last edited by torontocheeka; 02-07-2016 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 08:27 AM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
Maybe Canada IS less racist than the US. But why does it matter? Racism is a problem in both countries, as well as the rest of the world. Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you can't just point your finger at another country to give yourself a feeling of moral superiority, as tempting as it may be.

Something I've noticed about Canada that I think really holds it back is that it always compares itself to the US. "Canada has *insert problem here* but at least it's not nearly as bad as in the US." Of course it isn't! Of all the developed countries, the US is the most violent, militaristic, and fearful, and has the worst income equality, not to mention a lack of universal healthcare (I'm sorry to any fellow Americans reading this, but unfortunately that's the reality of our situation). So why compare yourself to it? Why not look at Australia, NZ, Germany, Denmark, etc? In fact, why constantly compare Canada to another country in the first place? It may be helpful to take a look at other countries and their systems at times, but not constantly.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Maybe Canada IS less racist than the US. But why does it matter? Racism is a problem in both countries, as well as the rest of the world. Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you can't just point your finger at another country to give yourself a feeling of moral superiority, as tempting as it may be.

Something I've noticed about Canada that I think really holds it back is that it always compares itself to the US. "Canada has *insert problem here* but at least it's not nearly as bad as in the US." Of course it isn't! Of all the developed countries, the US is the most violent, militaristic, and fearful, and has the worst income equality, not to mention a lack of universal healthcare (I'm sorry to any fellow Americans reading this, but unfortunately that's the reality of our situation). So why compare yourself to it? Why not look at Australia, NZ, Germany, Denmark, etc? In fact, why constantly compare Canada to another country in the first place? It may be helpful to take a look at other countries and their systems at times, but not constantly.
Well, a large part of the reason that comparisons occur between Canada and the US is simple proximity and the fact that our origins are so similar. We aren't like Germany, or NZ or Denmark, and those countries don't border us, so it's as simple as that. I don't think that comparisons are necessarily bad - as individuals and as cities, and as countries, they are a way of having our eyes open. Of course there will always be people who use comparisons as a way to validate themselves, so I guess their eyes really aren't open.

And I think that racism expresses itself differently in Canada so maybe people are less likely to recognise it. I would argue that there are the same number of potential racists in every country but that the critical mass of any particular ethnicity has to be at a certain level before it begins to be expressed. Here in Manitoba, it is the First Nations that attract the hatred and I haven't found people to be very shy about it at all, even for the sake of political correctness.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
So why compare yourself to it? Why not look at Australia, NZ, Germany, Denmark, etc? In fact, why constantly compare Canada to another country in the first place? It may be helpful to take a look at other countries and their systems at times, but not constantly.
Look at the title of this thread...

Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 AM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
Quote:
As I have already states in this thread, Canada is not a panacea. Are Canadians overall less racist than Americans? Absolutely.

As has also already been stated in this thread, Canadians have expressed more favourable attitudes towards interracial marriage since at least the mid-1970s than Americans do, and continue to have more favourable sentiment towards it today:Interracial unions more accepted in Canada than U.S.: report. A full 46% of Mississippi Republicans today still express opposition to it.

There are provisions against hate speech in the Criminal Code of Canada, whereas in the US, hate speech is protected under the First Amendment.

Also, according to StatsCan, my particular ethnicity is actually the most likely group to be targeted in hates crimes in Canada, and my ethnicity lives primarily in the GTA within Canada, so you're wrong on that point as well:
Ten facts you need to know from Statistics Canada’s new report detailing hate crimes in 2013, since you seem to be questioning my objectivity on the matter.

The number of immigrants per annum granted green cards in the US is roughly 250,000. The number of immigrants to Canada per annum granted permanent residency is... 250,000. At a 9th of the US population. That's 9 times more per capita. And Canadians still express more favourable views of Syrian refugees at immigration levels this high. However, in both Canada AND the US, anti-Muslim sentiment has been growing in recent years.
1. That article is from a decade ago. Pew Research shows about 90% + percent of Americans support interracial marriage. Second, that is a huge country. Mississippi is one state out of 50 and is more different from the rest of the US like Pennsylvania than Canada is. It isn't one metro area out of 3 or 4. If we carve out northern Ontario or eastern British Columbia into a similar sized state you would hear similarly ignorant views but since these areas are in the same province with Vancouver or Toronto their views are covered up by the responses from people who live in the metro areas.

2. What does giving out green cards have to do with racism? The US just got out of a recession and has much more limited space, why would they bring as many immigrants? That has nothing to do with racism.

Recent polls show that nearly half of all Canadians think there are too many visible minorities in Canada. Not racist as the people who put a black person in office right? I am honest enough to recognize that an Obama is far less likely in Canada than in the US. That's why we get the same upper stock white elites from Quebec or Ontario in office while in the US that type of pattern changed decades ago.

The EKOS poll: Are Canadians getting more racist?

Weren't they just talking about openin a blacks only school in Toronto because they said black students couldn't keep up with other races? Not racist at all! Aborginals couldn't even vote in Canada until 1960 compared to 1924 in the US. We also only allowed whites to move here until the 1960's. No blacks or Asians were allowed. Meanwhile in the US all African Americans were citizens in 1868. Both countries have problems but it sounds like for some reason you really need to believe that Canada is less racist than the US (it sounds like your worldview rests on that shaky notion). I recommend you get to know Canada outside of Toronto because you might be in for a big surprise.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 AM

625 posts, read 1,390,013 times
Quote:
Even in this you fail to make a point. Aboriginal women in Canada have a femicide rate that is 7 times the national average. Most likely their own men are killing them.

In America, black women have a femicide rate that is 9 times the national average. The difference is there is no furor about it, and no one cares.

No one cares? Perhaps you do not follow the news, policy discourse, etc. The travails of blacks in the US are if anything, a central part of policy and popular discourse. Desegregation, busing, housing programs, affirmative action, envirinmental jautice movements, non-profit community development are commonplace. Far different form Trudeau's one-sentance dismissal that challenges blacks face in Toronto are due to the lyrics of rap and Reggae music ...

Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
No one cares? Perhaps you do not follow the news, policy discourse, etc. The travails of blacks in the US are if anything, a central part of policy and popular discourse. Desegregation, busing, housing programs, affirmative action, envirinmental jautice movements, non-profit community development are commonplace. Far different form Trudeau's one-sentance dismissal that challenges blacks face in Toronto are due to the lyrics of rap and Reggae music ...
I was thinking the same. Not sure if she is a serious poster or not because every other news story in the US coming out the US is about helping African Americans in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada