Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I felt colder in the dampness of a German winter than I did at the dry -30 in Manitoba. Not to mention the unrelenting greyness of the winter as opposed to the brilliant blue of a sky contrasting with the white blanket of snow.
When I was living in Toronto and Montreal in winter when it rainy or the skies were dreary, I really did yearn for that brilliant blue sunny sky often seen on the most frigid days in Winnipeg. I admit I didn't miss the cold though.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:34 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Correction. It sucks for YOU.
Well, I won't deny that winters are too long for my taste. I like hot weather but there is probably some kind of medium to be had, some place with low humidity but not like an Arizona summer. You can dress for warmth but you can't undress enough to want to be outside for any length of time in an Arizona summer from what I hear.

I'd rather take Manitoba in all four seasons than Germany in whatever you would call a grey, rainy winter of 5 degrees and a summer of the low twenties. Neither seems to quite qualify as a proper season, imo.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
When I was living in Toronto and Montreal in winter when it rainy or the skies were dreary, I really did yearn for that brilliant blue sunny sky often seen on the most frigid days in Winnipeg. I admit I didn't miss the cold though.
LOL I love a rainy day and low clouds. I also like sunny skies and some heat...it's hovering around 30 C all week here in Vancouver. However by the time summer is over, I'm ready for a change. I could NEVER live in a climate that was sunny and warm most of the year. Too boring.

The changing seasons mean different foods, different clothing, different activities etc.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:38 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
When we came home briefly in February, I had to cover my eyes on the drive home because the blue of the sky and the white of the snow were so blinding to me after months of nothing but grey. I definitely realised that grey winters are not for me even though I am not fond of winter. I'm sure it has a lot to do with what one is used to, or sees as the norm.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I won't deny that winters are too long for my taste. I like hot weather but there is probably some kind of medium to be had, some place with low humidity but not like an Arizona summer. You can dress for warmth but you can't undress enough to want to be outside for any length of time in an Arizona summer from what I hear.

I'd rather take Manitoba in all four seasons than Germany in whatever you would call a grey, rainy winter of 5 degrees and a summer of the low twenties. Neither seems to quite qualify as a proper season, imo.
Not liking winters that seem too long is fine. It's the comments that because we have winter at all that somehow Canada climate sucks. Half of the US population lives in just 9 states, 6 of them in the Northeast where the weather is similar to where the majority of Canadians live. This still doesn't include the US midwest where winter is brutal.

So obviously millions of people like different climates. No one is wrong.

They also talk like we are trapped somehow....hilarious.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
I've been away a few days and come back to this!! Thanks, my morning coffee time was so entertaining.

I see two main mindsets here. I find it interesting that the anti ( if I can use that term ) Canada posters are immigrants to Canada who have left. Seeking and never finding. Must irk them that some of us are settled. Like where we live. Love our country.

They truly sound frustrated...Saturno more than Botti IMO.

So out comes the knives. Grasping at climate, healthcare, roads, food, diversity, culture, to make some rather silly posts.

I've said this before...and it's not just online and silly magazine polls Saturno, that Canada SOMEHOW ranks high in almost all measures when compared to other places. That for some inexplicable reason, we do amazingly well for a small population in the second largest country in the world.

The OP's question has a simple answer. We all know it had to do with opportunity in SOME areas of work that people left Canada for the US. However Canada isn't emptying out. Odd that Canada should be slagged by Saturno, but Italy gets praised.

The world in a lot of ways is still getting to know Canada. The world is getting tiny because of the internet, and peoples perceptions of a frozen wasteland with maple syrup is changing. The realities of life here compared to the US are being better understood.

For every "you have the Downtown Eastside argument", there are hundreds of examples to throw back. For every wait list healthcare mud sling, you have MILLIONS of examples to throw back. For every gun rights argument towards Canada you have thousands of gun deaths to throw back.

Somehow defending Canada means we are blind to it's issues. We are not. Honestly though, our issues, when compared to the US are minor. They just have to be blown out of proportion to try and win silly internet posts.
My only issue with both camps (Anti and Pro Canada) is that both sides seem almost excited to sling the mud re: each others country, especially when it comes to speaking about social issues and the less fortunate.

Speaking about issues openly is productive, but getting a borderline online erection over people living in poor conditions is not. How about some constructive conversation about what each country does well and how it can be adopted on the other side? You know, like how adults speak to each other, not snotty children in a sandbox.

Also the suggestion that someone would be envious over someone being "settled" is strange to me. Some people love living their lives unsettled so to speak. Moving around and experiencing different places first hand as a resident can be rewarding. As equally if not more rewarding than being settled in one place.

So I think that while I dont care for some of the anti camps posts, they do have some valuable opinions to share based on seeing the world from a different set of eyes than someone who has lived in Canada their entire lives.

But yeah, it could be done in a little more constructive and civil way and without the hyperbole and outright false statements just to make a point. On that I agree.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
And this means what, exactly, to the average American?
Are you kidding me?? Better jobs, careers and improving quality of life/lower COL, more advanced medical procedures, etc...

Quote:
Yes, you are correct that US companies such as Apple, Microsoft, and Boeing are at the cutting edge of innovation and technology. And I won't trot out the old and tired canard about Canadian technology ("But...but...Bombardier! And RIM!"). I worked in the Canadian tech sector for years; I saw that while Canadian companies could build better mousetraps; they couldn't build better, better mousetraps, in the way that US companies could.
Obviously there are many ambitious talented Canadian scientist. engineers and entrepreneurs and USA did a good job swallowing many of them up in the past....no need to mention the famous Avro Arrow saga....

Quote:
But what do Apple, Microsoft, and Boeing have to offer the insurance adjuster in Hartford, Connecticut? The hotel clerk in Lincoln, Nebraska? The bus driver in New York City? Probably nothing, any more than the big US tech companies have to offer those in similar employment in Canada. It takes a special kind of person to fill those tech jobs, and most Canadians do not have the skills. Neither, I'd suggest, do most Americans.
Innovation does trickle down even to these not directly connected to these companies, rest assured.....not to mention offering opportunities for their offspring.

Quote:
"Canada's climate sucks!" (There must be something positive to the climate, to keep 35 million people in it, and attract immigrants to it.)
People are born there and they have their connections/families and opportunities....not everyone can just leave.
Canada is one of the easiest country to immigrate so many people move there for a better life because they do not have many other choices....36 million people live in Siberia after all....finally there are people that, indeed, appreciate Canada weather (so there are people that love to live in Alaska and would not live anywhere else)...but in general is not considered a country with great weather, it is undeniable.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-02-2017 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 02:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Correction. It sucks for YOU.
Objectively, the weather in most of Canada isn't thought to be great because of the terrible winters. It isn't just me, man. Get a grip.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Objectively, the weather in most of Canada isn't thought to be great because of the terrible winters. It isn't just me, man. Get a grip.
+1

Denying that the weather for many Canadians and immigrants is an issue, especially getting older, is absurd.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:53 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Well, I see we're right back where we left off.

Canada's climate sucks and it's tough to hook up in Toronto.

Cripes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada