Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 AM

7,683 posts, read 5,544,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
your natural assumption is naturally wrong. Most Americans and Canadians live in their country because they were born and raised there.
Nice diversion. Won't work

Since you don't dispute that I believe my assumption, please back up your claim that I "can't bear the fact that someone doesn't like Canada or doesn't think it is so superior", that I can't "admit the fact the Canadian weather is bad" (I live in Winnipeg where we habitually grumble about the weather all winter), that I have called or implied that anyone was a "whossie" and that I am "childish" for posting things I NEVER posted.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:10 AM

89 posts, read 75,126 times
[quote=botticelli;48979278]big surprise, another Canadian who can't bear the fact that someone didn't like Canada or didn't think it is so superior.

Sometimes you guys act like children, can't even admit the fact the Canadian weather is bad. Instead, whoever hate -20C or snow in April is called "whossie". Really? Why don't you brave Canadians live in Yukon or Northern Manitoba? It is just so ridiculously childish

You are ridiculously childish. Why is cold snowy weather always assumed as "bad." Not all people like beaches. I'm a pasty white American who avoids them at all costs.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 AM

295 posts, read 264,349 times
[quote=timppa;48982142]
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
big surprise, another Canadian who can't bear the fact that someone didn't like Canada or didn't think it is so superior.

Sometimes you guys act like children, can't even admit the fact the Canadian weather is bad. Instead, whoever hate -20C or snow in April is called "whossie". Really? Why don't you brave Canadians live in Yukon or Northern Manitoba? It is just so ridiculously childish

You are ridiculously childish. Why is cold snowy weather always assumed as "bad." Not all people like beaches. I'm a pasty white American who avoids them at all costs.
It is not about the beaches. When it is windchill, -20C outside - you have empty streets here in Toronto, especially in the evenings, after work. People stay indoors. On the other hand, if it is +10 - + 20 outside, it is very nice to walk outside.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,313,781 times
[quote=the_wanderer;48982762]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post

It is not about the beaches. When it is windchill, -20C outside - you have empty streets here in Toronto, especially in the evenings, after work. People stay indoors. On the other hand, if it is +10 - + 20 outside, it is very nice to walk outside.

+1

There are cold snowy days and there are cold snowy days....I would not mind at all living in a city with the occasional snowy day......

Old 07-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Well I certainly post less here than I would like to. I just refuse to feed the troll.

If I understood you correctly, you call me a "troll", Botticelli comment is right on point...

Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,590,252 times
I've been away a few days and come back to this!! Thanks, my morning coffee time was so entertaining.

I see two main mindsets here. I find it interesting that the anti ( if I can use that term ) Canada posters are immigrants to Canada who have left. Seeking and never finding. Must irk them that some of us are settled. Like where we live. Love our country.

They truly sound frustrated...Saturno more than Botti IMO.

So out comes the knives. Grasping at climate, healthcare, roads, food, diversity, culture, to make some rather silly posts.

I've said this before...and it's not just online and silly magazine polls Saturno, that Canada SOMEHOW ranks high in almost all measures when compared to other places. That for some inexplicable reason, we do amazingly well for a small population in the second largest country in the world.

The OP's question has a simple answer. We all know it had to do with opportunity in SOME areas of work that people left Canada for the US. However Canada isn't emptying out. Odd that Canada should be slagged by Saturno, but Italy gets praised.

The world in a lot of ways is still getting to know Canada. The world is getting tiny because of the internet, and peoples perceptions of a frozen wasteland with maple syrup is changing. The realities of life here compared to the US are being better understood.

For every "you have the Downtown Eastside argument", there are hundreds of examples to throw back. For every wait list healthcare mud sling, you have MILLIONS of examples to throw back. For every gun rights argument towards Canada you have thousands of gun deaths to throw back.

Somehow defending Canada means we are blind to it's issues. We are not. Honestly though, our issues, when compared to the US are minor. They just have to be blown out of proportion to try and win silly internet posts.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,508,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've been away a few days and come back to this!! Thanks, my morning coffee time was so entertaining.

I see two main mindsets here. I find it interesting that the anti ( if I can use that term ) Canada posters are immigrants to Canada who have left. Seeking and never finding. Must irk them that some of us are settled. Like where we live. Love our country.

So out comes the knives. Grasping at climate, healthcare, roads, food, diversity, culture, to make some rather silly posts.

I've said this before...and it's not just online and silly magazine polls Saturno, that Canada SOMEHOW ranks high in almost all measures when compared to other places. That for some inexplicable reason, we do amazingly well for a small population in the second largest country in the world.

The OP's question has a simple answer. We all know it had to do with opportunity in SOME areas of work that people left Canada for the US. However Canada isn't emptying out. Odd that Canada should be slagged by Saturno, but Italy gets praised.

The world in a lot of ways is still getting to know Canada. The world is getting tiny because of the internet, and peoples perceptions of a frozen wasteland with maple syrup is changing. The realities of life here compared to the US are being better understood.

For every "you have the Downtown Eastside argument", there are hundreds of examples to throw back. For every wait list healthcare mud sling, you have MILLIONS of examples to throw back. For every gun rights argument towards Canada you have thousands of gun deaths to throw back.

Somehow defending Canada means we are blind to it's issues. We are not. Honestly though, our issues, when compared to the US are minor. They just have to be blown out of proportion to try and win silly internet posts.
That is the crux of it. While the dangers of guns in the US are greatly overblown, the reality is that they are more prevalent then in Canada and there is simply no way around it.
Where I do agree with Saturno is that the US offers more, which in large part is due to its size.Canada simply can't compete with that range, but is in no ways a slouch.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Gladly, at the end we have a well reasoned thought reply...I can agree on some points but let me clarify few things

Quote:

I would protest the use of the word "anti" however if you wish...let's call us realists...and, by the way, quite few of them are Canadians born and raised.

Quote:

I'm glad you use that word..."somehow".....indeed....somehow Scandinavian countries are among the best in many metrics still they are not places that are exactly highly sought after to live in.....please do not take this in the wrong way, I'm not saying that Canada is a terrible place to live....just pointing that many statistics do not give you the full picture.

Quote:
I can talk to you for one day about things that does not work in Italy...do not get me started....

[/quote]

[/quote]

....the sheer difference in size, not to mention different history and societal structure, make sure that the US has obviously an order of magnitude more societal problems compared to Canada...so is Europe...do the math....

Quote:
You make exactly the same mistake of some of the folks you call "haters"....blowing the US societal issues way out of proportion....the reality is that for all its problems (and it has a lot of problems and so Canada and Europe) the US is a great country where to live for the average person. It is still the country that has the major advantage for the challenges of the future with its innovation engine and scientific and technological edge.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 3,423,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
[The US] is still the country that has the major advantage for the challenges of the future with its innovation engine and scientific and technological edge.
And this means what, exactly, to the average American?

Yes, you are correct that US companies such as Apple, Microsoft, and Boeing are at the cutting edge of innovation and technology. And I won't trot out the old and tired canard about Canadian technology ("But...but...Bombardier! And RIM!"). I worked in the Canadian tech sector for years; I saw that while Canadian companies could build better mousetraps; they couldn't build better, better mousetraps, in the way that US companies could.

But what do Apple, Microsoft, and Boeing have to offer the insurance adjuster in Hartford, Connecticut? The hotel clerk in Lincoln, Nebraska? The bus driver in New York City? Probably nothing, any more than the big US tech companies have to offer those in similar employment in Canada. It takes a special kind of person to fill those tech jobs, and most Canadians do not have the skills. Neither, I'd suggest, do most Americans.

Nat makes some very good points. (Reps to you, Nat, thought I need to spread it around a little.) To those, I'll add something I learned long ago: "You see what you want to see, and hear what you want to hear." To me, this means that if a Canadian sees and hears that his or her future lies in the US, then he or she will make the effort to go there, and to learn what he or she needs to get there. And that's great for some medical professionals and tech experts, among others. If they want to go to the US, good for them.

But the same adage also means that if the same Canadian sees and hears that they have nothing better in the US, and that their future lies in Canada, then they will stay home. There is no, "Oh, I wish I could move to the US, so I could drive a bus in St. Louis rather than Toronto," or "Gosh, I wish I was the night clerk at the Comfort Inn in Des Moines, Iowa; instead of being the night clerk at the Comfort Inn in Orillia, Ontario." The vast majority of jobs and skills that engage working people, mean that it's easier for most working Canadians to stay where they are.

Just for fun, does anybody know where I learned "You see what you want to see, and hear what you want to hear"? Old-timers might have seen (hint, hint) it when they were younger.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,743,535 times
Quote:

Nat, it is not fair to call me anti-Canada just because I called out some of this drawbacks. If you checked out my posts on other forums, you would know I am far more "anti-US" than anti-Canada. But honestly I can't bring myself to say "I love Canada". I simply don't because it is not an ideal country in my mind (genetically handicapped in my mind, the location, the climate etc.), and I didn't find a city that is really my cup of tea (like Toulouse is).

And I didn't "leave". I took a leave and will come back, probably next year when the damn cancer is gone. Maybe to Vancouver this time who knows

On the other hand, you guys should really grow up and stop feeling offended and bitter about some people not liking Canada as much as you do, and stop claiming "oh, they just didn't get how wonderful Canada is!". I don't like Norway or Switzerland either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada