Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 11:41 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm glad you are so certain. I'm not.

Dual citizens living in Quebec would not be paying taxes to Canada. Yet would still get some of the benefits that the ROC would still be paying for, like consulate services. Which of course is true with Canadian currently living out of the country, but this number is small compared to the millions in Quebec that may want to keep their Canadian citizenship.

I also believe that the ROC would be against allowing dual citizenship.
It's also quite possible that there would be a transition period and that some of the more generous aspects of the initial "duality" could be phased out over time.

This is the type of thing that gets negotiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 11:46 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No, the negotiations would be based on blatant self-interest, not pride or some other higher principles.

Without Quebec, Ontario would comprise about half of Canada's population. That's a huge amount of political weight.

Ontario has massive industries that supply Quebec with everything from the cereal I had for breakfast this morning to the toothpaste I used to brush my teeth to the liner in my swimming pool.

If Quebec makes up roughly one quarter of Canada then that's one quarter or more of the market for Ontario industries. Probably a bit more due to the proximity of the two provinces and integrated transportation networks.

Ontario isn't going to sacrifice that just because Joe at the Dominion Tavern thinks Quebec should grow some balls and be completely on its own.

This is not to say that Quebec would have Canada (sans Quebec) over a barrel. It wouldn't and its bargaining position is probably weaker overall. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't have some decent cards in its hand.
Oh, I agree it would be based on self-interests, and one of those interests is identity and pride. Isn't what this is all about? Quebec pride and identity?

Quebec wanting to leave is seen as a rejection of Canada. Economics will be extremely important and no one is going to be cutting each other off in that regard. The identity of being Canadian is also at stake though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada