Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2021, 05:12 AM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Source? Oh right, you don’t believe the data presented to you, so any outlandish claims you make can remain unsubstantiated.

However, if you end your last sentence at "recovery", then I agree with you 100%. My best family vacations have been in the US.
I'm not going to edit my sentence (I almost did) but I can partially agree. Here's why I stick by it.

I do think that the world pulled the plug on itself too severely. It probably should have been more selective and more sensitive. My children are 23 and 25 so, for example, their formal education is past. And me and my family, while not wealthy, are upper middle-class. The suffering and loss of the underclass has been disproportionate to the gain from the lockdowns and I fear, for some people, will never be made up.

At the beginning of the pandemic, New York City, one of the initial "hot spots", became a ghost town almost overnight, from being thriving and open on March 9 to being deserted by Friday, March 13, before most of the lockdowns were ordered. Theaters were closed the night before. Clearly, something had to be done to allay panic and saying "don't worry" wasn't going to cut it. But in hindsight, there could have been a much more rapid reopening at the end of April, and perhaps a few snaps closed during the November-December spike. The pattern was mimicked elsewhere. Much but not all of it was panicky and needless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 05:45 AM

3,869 posts, read 5,295,663 times
A new report from the Canadian Covid-19 advisory board urges relaxing quarantine rules for fully vaccinated travelers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ated-travelers

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...e-borders.html

Old 05-28-2021, 07:11 AM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Gap View Post
Not sure where you are getting that. The fact is, most Americans couldn't care less whether the border with Canada opens or not. Americans have to be reminded that Canada is even up there.
Laughed out loud at that one. There's truth to that. I've run into it as an American who is in a relationship with a Canadian. I still find people who don't even know that the Canadian border has been closed since last March or who seem perplexed at the idea that you need a passport to cross the border or that Canada has immigration policies. ("Are you moving to Canada?" "No, one cannot just decide to move to Canada. They have strict criteria as to who can immigrate, and in general, it does not include retirees.") Then they ask where in Canada I go, but it doesn't really matter because most of them, at least in this part of the USA, know there's a city called Montreal and a city called Toronto, but not much else.

That's not wholly true. A good number of people from the NY/NJ metro have gone to Nova Scotia on vacation.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:56 AM

444 posts, read 283,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I can only speak for myself but some of my best vacation times of my life have been in Canada. Also, I think that reopening normally friendly borders is part of the world's recovery from the manic, panic-induced shutdown that spread more sadness than saved lives.
The US having almost 3x per capita death to Canada proves Canada's methods of dealing with Covid is the more prudent approach. Although we are more vaccinated than Americans now, opening up now will still lead to substantially more deaths than opening up 1 or 2 month later.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:12 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
The US having almost 3x per capita death to Canada proves Canada's methods of dealing with Covid is the more prudent approach. Although we are more vaccinated than Americans now, opening up now will still lead to substantially more deaths than opening up 1 or 2 month later.
No, you are not more vaccinated. This is ridiculous. How hard is this to understand? Or science matters only when it fits your narrative.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:31 AM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Laughed out loud at that one. There's truth to that. I've run into it as an American who is in a relationship with a Canadian. I still find people who don't even know that the Canadian border has been closed since last March or who seem perplexed at the idea that you need a passport to cross the border or that Canada has immigration policies. ("Are you moving to Canada?" "No, one cannot just decide to move to Canada. They have strict criteria as to who can immigrate, and in general, it does not include retirees.") Then they ask where in Canada I go, but it doesn't really matter because most of them, at least in this part of the USA, know there's a city called Montreal and a city called Toronto, but not much else.

That's not wholly true. A good number of people from the NY/NJ metro have gone to Nova Scotia on vacation.
There's more than some truth to that. I only know the first two Prime Ministers and then know them in order only from Sir Wilfred Laurier in 1896 to the present. I get lost at the order of ones in between Macdonald's second mandate and 1896, though I know that Bowles and Tupper are in there somewhere. I only know of a scattering of the Premiers.

As an American I'll admit I don't know much.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There's more than some truth to that. I only know the first two Prime Ministers and then know them in order only from Sir Wilfred Laurier in 1896 to the present. I get lost at the order of ones in between Macdonald's second mandate and 1896, though I know that Bowles and Tupper are in there somewhere. I only know of a scattering of the Premiers.

As an American I'll admit I don't know much.
As an American you probably know more than would be expected by Canadians of your average American.

It's become normal now to absorb only of what value the knowledge might be to the average individual.

You could for instance assume that someone like Elon Musk, while no one being able to question his intelligence, might not know anything at all about Canada other than those aspects of potential market value for his product. He very likely couldn't care less who Canada's first PM was.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:09 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As an American you probably know more than would be expected by Canadians of your average American.

It's become normal now to absorb only of what value the knowledge might be to the average individual.

You could for instance assume that someone like Elon Musk, while no one being able to question his intelligence, might not know anything at all about Canada other than those aspects of potential market value for his product. He very likely couldn't care less who Canada's first PM was.
Elon Musk lived in Canada until he was 17. He has Canadian citizenship.

https://www.narcity.com/elon-musks-c...-that-he-holds

His girlfriend, is also Canadian.

So...he might know who Canada's first PM was...or not

Old 05-28-2021, 11:27 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I'll try not to be an A-hole

For the (third?) time. I am fully vaccinated, my wife is fully vaccinated. We are allowed in the country regardless due to our citizenship. If we are allowed entry regardless, why are we subject to a 14-day quarantine, testing, and personal visits/check in's when the science says that is not necessary for a fully vaccinated person.

Quite a few countries medical people have adjusted their quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated, due to emerging science. Dr. Tam is well within her rights to lean on her own interpretation of that science, but many of her peers differ from her and they are equally if not more qualified in some cases.

As mentioned I will do whatever they tell me to do, I have not broken quarantine on any of our visits. But it doesn't mean you have to blindly agree with every step they make.
LOL...no you are not being an A-hole.

At least now you are mentioning Dr. Tam and not Trudeau. If you were PM, what would you do?

As for Dr. Tam's peers, they aren't looking out for Canada. Each country has its own issues, and its own challenges. Not many massive countries with a small population. That alone creates challenges that I'm sure most of us have no full understanding when trying to control a pandemic.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:35 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Speaking of Elon Musk - Did you know that Elon, although born in Africa, is a Canadian citizen too (and so is his mother) and he went to university in Africa first and then university in Canada for a few years before leaving Canada and moving to the states to go to university there before getting down to business? He has triple citizenship but no honest love or allegiance to any nation anywhere.

Not that that any of that matters, I agree with you that he likely doesn't know and couldn't care less who Canada's first PM was, or even who America's first president was because it simply isn't important or relevant to him, doesn't fit with his agenda and what he does. He's a very intelligent entrepreneur high on the autism spectrum (a bit of a genius savant) but his main focus is about his products and the potential market value for his products - which is why he moved to the states to finish university and take advantage of America's marketing culture so he could become the very richest man in the world today. $155 billion and still counting. That's all he needs to know and care about.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada