Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 07:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
All good points but especially the last point.

I'm not really annoyed with Trudeau about other things but I find it hard to believe that he ever attended any drama classes. If he did then the classes didn't sink in because he says "aahhh" and "uughhh" as just about every third word when he speaks to the public and it makes him sound like a dunce! ..... and that drives me stark raving mad pulling my hair out by the roots crazy wanting to slap him upside the head and stuff a sock in his mouth every time he says "aahhh" because I know he isn't a dunce !!!! Somebody really needs to direct him to a Toastmaster's club to learn how to do public speaking properly.

The generational identifiers are more than evident with us Zoisite!

Would I be correct in surmising both of us come from upbringing where that speech pattern or anything remotely like it, would have been seen as embarrassing by our parents and vociferously discouraged by them?

Further, I cannot, as a septuagenarian, even remember one instance of anyone holding higher office speaking in such an cringe inducing manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 09:26 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The generational identifiers are more than evident with us Zoisite!

Would I be correct in surmising both of us come from upbringing where that speech pattern or anything remotely like it, would have been seen as embarrassing by our parents and vociferously discouraged by them?

Further, I cannot, as a septuagenarian, even remember one instance of anyone holding higher office speaking in such an cringe inducing manner.
Your surmise is correct. It's a bone of contention with me because of my upbringing and schooling in the post-war years. My parents and school teachers would emphasize to "think carefully before you speak, don't speak spontaneously before you think." Interjections of aahhs and uughhs are indicative to other people of somebody given to mental dithering and slowness of wit, of wool gathering, of not properly formulating your thoughts carefully before speaking them out loud.

That's just the perception that other people will get and I'm not saying he's a witless ditherer because I know for a fact that he is quite bright, but I do think he's a slow thinker, he's not a fast thinker on his feet - which I can totally relate to because I'm a slow thinker on my feet too and can easily get side-tracked when I'm speaking in public. When he gets interrupted his train of thought gets thrown off the tracks. He often gets taken off guard by unexpected questions that don't fit with his program when he's speaking to the public and then he has to reach into himself to think about and mull over his answer before he replies. While he's thinking about what he's going to say and getting all his P's and Q's in order about what will be the politically correct thing to say he interjects with aahhhs to hold onto the attention of his listeners. Those aahhhs are a like jerky, mental stutter in between thoughts and statements and that can easily turn into a habitual way of speaking in public and it makes other people lose patience.

He didn't learn that habit from his dad, that's for sure. Furthermore, when he's not speaking to the public he doesn't do it in his regular way of informal talking, his speech runs smoothly and confidently without halts and hesitations. I do think he needs to get some training about formal public speaking.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-23-2021 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-23-2021, 12:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
All good points but especially the last point.

I'm not really annoyed with Trudeau about other things but I find it hard to believe that he ever attended any drama classes. If he did then the classes didn't sink in because he says "aahhh" and "uughhh" as just about every third word when he speaks to the public and it makes him sound like a dunce! ..... and that drives me stark raving mad pulling my hair out by the roots crazy wanting to slap him upside the head and stuff a sock in his mouth every time he says "aahhh" because I know he isn't a dunce !!!! Somebody really needs to direct him to a Toastmaster's club to learn how to do public speaking properly.

I'd rather read what he has to say, than hear him say it. He just doesn't have a good voice for public speaking.
It always sounds like he is reading out loud to a group of school children.

You're right, it might be the teacher in him.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:53 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
To me, Trudeau sounds like a well-meaning child, but one who isn't sure what he's doing.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:55 PM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
Quote:
He didn't learn that habit from his dad, that's for sure.
He definitely didn't. I heard Pierre Trudeau speak when he was campaigning in 1980; and migosh, that man could speak! No hesitancy, no "ums" and "ahhs," and when he strayed from his prepared remarks (which he obviously did, once or twice), he did so smoothly, without the "ums" and "ahhs" that Justin uses to buy time while he tries to get his train of thought back on the tracks.

After Pierre Trudeau spoke that day, he took the time to answer questions from the public, and though he had no idea what to expect--except in the most general sense, such as the economy or Canada's response to world conflicts, and the like--he handled each response easily and confidently; without hesitancy, or "ums" or "ahhs."

As one who has done public speaking a lot, including very stressful situations (ever try presenting your oral argument in front of an appellate court?), I have found that projecting confidence (in the form of no "ums" or "ahhs") in what you have to say goes a long way in making your points stick. Pierre's confidence in his remarks, both scripted and ad-libbed, at least on that day that I heard him, served him well, as history shows. Justin would do well to try to do the same as his father.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:14 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
I'd love for the Trans-Canada to be four divided lanes (at least) from coast to coast but with lots of transportation needs everywhere and only so much money to go around it makes sense to establish priorities and if that means new roads in the Toronto area where population is growing and the system is stressed, then so be it.

I'd hate to see governments spend money on nice-to-haves just to say "we did it" while ignoring more critical stuff that has an impact on more people's lives.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:44 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Right, the border closure does not affect many people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ta6VZu7vA

Old 05-24-2021, 11:50 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,954,081 times
Looks like Canada/Trudeau now has moved on from 75% of its citizens vacced to this.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...under-control/

I think he wants India under control also Eastern Europe, Tim Buck 2, Gilligan's Island. I thought Dr. Fauci down here was full of it.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:35 AM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
Your cite is dated December 1, 2020. Almost six months ago. As science changes, and views change, and the vaccine rolls out, I'm sure that Mr. Trudeau's views will change also.

Just because I'm curious: why, nearly six months after your news report was published, did you dredge up this? And how? Are you actively looking for things, no matter how outdated, with which to slam Canada over its response to the pandemic? At any rate, if you're looking for the current state of affairs in Canada, may I suggest the CBC, CTV, and Global TV news networks; and the Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, and National Post print media?

In other words, your words will only carry meaning here if they come from current Canadian sources, dated recently. And they certainly won't come from an outdated source called "Click on Detroit."

Old 05-25-2021, 12:39 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,954,081 times
I have been had! The link was on the headlines on bing’s search for Canada border reopening today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada