Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 07:14 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even using a credit card is very annoying. The pump asks you for a zip code (associated with your card) which of course as a Canadian you don't have.
As a former RV'er who had no choice but to use Flying J's and Love's due to having two tanks, one either side of rig, to fill with on-board fuel being just shy of 300 gals. This was the process I learned from the RV'ing crowd:

https://www.mastercard.ca/en-ca/pers...-the-pump.html

I will only say the success rate of that was roughly 75% with the truck stops and we always backstopped the process with my wife being in line inside with a walkie-talkie so that if the payment at the pumps was declined, she was easy to reach with gallonage and cost and enough cash to cover it. A PITA, but tolerable.

Here's a link to a more current FMCA forum discussion about this issue: https://community.fmca.com/topic/150...-gas-stations/

So it would now seem that a process that was a bit hit and miss back in the early 2000's has now become universal and reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 07:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,572,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Us unvaccinated people in the USofA reclaimed our freedom long before the vaccinated folks did. Didn’t catch it, didn’t get vaccinated for it. Never quarantined or used copious amounts of hand sanitizers. I’ve been wearing the same 2 disposable masks since this started. Never once did I pull them up above my nose. So glad you figured it out!
do you know for certain that you were not asymptomatic and transmitted he virus to someone who got seriously ill ?

Old 05-26-2021, 08:14 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
- Study from England showing that a single dose of Pfizer or AZ can reduce transmission by 60%:

https://khub.net/documents/135939561...=1619601878136

- Study from the Ministry of Israel Health shows asymptomatic transmission is reduced by 94%

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01316-7

- Healthcare workers in England study from Hall SSRN, shows 86% reduction in asymptomatic transmission

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3790399

- Amit, Lancet - Healthcare workers in Israel - 75% reduction in transmission

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journ...21)00448-7.pdf

- Pawlowski MedRxiv - Mayo Clinic Patients - 88.7% reduction in transmission

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...623v1.full.pdf

- New England Journal of Medicine, Dagan - Israel general population - 90% reduction in transmission

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2101765

- Weekes Authorea - Cambridge University Hospitals - 75% reduction in transmission

https://www.authorea.com/users/33277...ov-2-infection

- Salazar P. Medrxiv - Long Term Facility in Spain - 90% reduction in transmission

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...108v1.full.pdf

- Cavanaugh MMWR - Nursing Home US - 100% reduction in transmission

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7017e2.htm

But I assume the scientific communities in Israel, the US, and UK are clueless. No need to listen to them.
I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. Your earlier post said ..." but Trudeau is hardly following the science. "

I made the point that it is more than likely that Trudeau is following the advice of his Public Health Officer, as well he should.

Are you suggesting that Dr. Tam isn't qualified, or is making " political " decisions of behalf of Trudeau?

She is also likely informed on ALL the studies, and not just some handpicked ones off the internet. Even yours shows gaps of 25 to 40 percent. You also have to remember she giving advice on what is best for Canada, not the UK, not the US, nor Israel.

Things change fast, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-26-2021 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-26-2021, 08:21 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Things change fast, so perhaps when studies don't have gaps of 25 5o 40 percent in results between each other, she may make a new decision.
As every adult should know, there is nothing guaranteed in life. So risk will never be 0% for anything. There will be always variables for everything because people are not the same. The 14-day quarantine for vaccinated people and those with negative tests is based on fear (just in case) and not science.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
As every adult should know, there is nothing guaranteed in life. So risk will never be 0% for anything. There will be always variables for everything because people are not the same. The 14-day quarantine for vaccinated people and those with negative tests is based on fear (just in case) and not science.
Who said anything about zero risk? This " fear " rhetoric is getting tiresome, and has become an automatic response.

You nor I are scientists. Dr. Tam is a medical professional with credentials that make her a good choice to be the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada.

I doubt she works off fear either.

As I said earlier, SHE knows more that Spuzzy, me and you. She must be aware of the studies...ALL THE STUDIES...and is most likely waiting for follow up ones. She also knows more than us the situation in Canada, and is acting accordingly.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:39 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
And it should be based in part on "fear," as even your CDC acknowledges that studies are still coming in as to the variants. There's a lot of cautioning about the virus in the science but I don't have time to pick it all out. I remember the science saying confidently not to wear masks and suggesting that 6 feet apart is enough when in fact the virus is airborne and can spread much further than six feet.

People think science waves a magic wand when in fact this is a new virus - we don't know enough about it yet. If other countries want their citizens to be guinea pigs, so be it. If they think losing a lot of their citizens in order to achieve herd immunity, so be it. I personally hope our border does not open yet.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:18 AM

3,869 posts, read 5,295,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. Your earlier post said ..." but Trudeau is hardly following the science. "

I made the point that it is more than likely that Trudeau is following the advice of his Public Health Officer, as well he should.

Are you suggesting that Dr. Tam isn't qualified, or is making " political " decisions of behalf of Trudeau?

She is also likely informed on ALL the studies, and not just some handpicked ones off the internet. Even yours shows gaps of 25 to 40 percent. You also have to remember she giving advice on what is best for Canada, not the UK, not the US, nor Israel.

Things change fast, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
I don't recall ever casting any doubt on Dr. Tam's qualifications. I know for a fact I never said that.

If you go back to the post, I was speaking about fully vaccinated returning Canadian Citizens. Would you please show me the scientific data that supports that someone fully vaccinated, that is being allowed into the country anyways should quarantine for 2 weeks, daily check in's, police visits, and 2 separate Covid tests at 1 and 8 days.

It is also odd because the requirements for entering the country were less stringent prior to the current orders. I have entered the country during Covid and presented the border agent a negative PCR test for everyone in my family and they said they didn't need it, plus previously we were not vaccinated on our trips. We know more about transmission now than we did before, so why the steps backward?

I don't mind erring on the side of caution. I am not some open everything up anti lockdown person either. With that said the delay in the 2nd dose schedule was based on even less data than we have on transmission. Yes, there is more emerging, but why are you ok with that decision and not others? At least be consistent.

Finally, the studies posted are not hand-picked from the internet. They pretty much cover every study conducted monitoring transmission that has been published. This is not my opinion, but Monica Ghandi, MPH that had a nice summary of everything released as of May 2021. So if you have an issue, I suggest you take it up with her, similar to the supposed conversation you are brokering between myself and Dr. Tam.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 05-26-2021 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-26-2021, 12:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:

....... I plan on visiting family in Toronto in a few weeks. Even as a fully vaccinated person, along with my wife (weeks in and currently at peak efficacy), We still have to quarantine for 2 weeks, test on Day 1 and 8, along with a daily check-in and possible police visits to the residence we are staying. This not as a tourist, but a Canadian citizen.......
Quote:

...... I have entered the country during Covid and presented the border agent a negative PCR test for everyone in my family and they said they didn't need it, plus previously we were not vaccinated on our trips.....
I can only think of these questions for you, since although you are a Canadian citizen you are still currently residing in another country. Your vaccinations that you have may protect you, but your vaccinations don't protect other people from you. That being the case why are you and your immediate family making repeated trips into Canada to visit other family members in Canada, some of whom you've said are at high risk? Is it essential for you and your wife and any children you may have to visit them? If it is not essential then I think you are taking unfair advantage of your citizenship to do as you please and disregard risks to other people. Do you think your Canadian citizenship entitlement to repeatedly enter and then leave the country puts your family and other Canadians who are permanently residing in Canada at any less risk of transmission of a new variant from you than it would if you were not a Canadian citizen? Does it put you and your immediate family at less risk of bringing something nasty back home with you to the States?

Old 05-26-2021, 12:46 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
There is a pretty persistent rumour (source is apparently border officials) coming out of the Point Roberts, WA area just south of Vancouver that the US will be opening up unrestricted travel for Canadians to their country as of June 22.

The current border closure keeps getting extended one month at a time by the two countries.

The latest extension runs to June 21.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I don't recall ever casting any doubt on Dr. Tam's qualifications. I know for a fact I never said that.

If you go back to the post, I was speaking about fully vaccinated returning Canadian Citizens. Would you please show me the scientific data that supports that someone fully vaccinated, that is being allowed into the country anyways should quarantine for 2 weeks, daily check in's, police visits, and 2 separate Covid tests at 1 and 8 days.

It is also odd because the requirements for entering the country were less stringent prior to the current orders. I have entered the country during Covid and presented the border agent a negative PCR test for everyone in my family and they said they didn't need it, plus previously we were not vaccinated on our trips. We know more about transmission now than we did before, so why the steps backward?

I don't mind erring on the side of caution. I am not some open everything up anti lockdown person either. With that said the delay in the 2nd dose schedule was based on even less data than we have on transmission. Yes, there is more emerging, but why are you ok with that decision and not others? At least be consistent.

Finally, the studies posted are not hand-picked from the internet. They pretty much cover every study conducted monitoring transmission that has been published. This is not my opinion, but Monica Ghandi, MPH that had a nice summary of everything released as of May 2021. So if you have an issue, I suggest you take it up with her, similar to the supposed conversation you are brokering between myself and Dr. Tam.
My train of thought.

You said Trudeau wasn't following the science.

I posted that Trudeau is most likely following the advice of Dr. Tam.

You never clarified your thoughts on whether Trudeau has gone rogue on his health officer, or is he listening and following her recommendations.

IMO he is following her advice, so by inference, it looks like you think Dr. Tam isn't following the science, unless you believe that Trudeau is just ignoring the advice. However I see no evidence of that.

I don't have an issue with Dr. Tam, or Trudeau in this regard. I'm just trying to understand what you meant by Trudeau not following the science.

On a positive note, I'm heading to the pub today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada