Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 12:45 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I am not saying anything is fake. I heard about unrest there a while back. I didn't realize it was still going on.
Oh, I know you weren't being a denialist about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but if media can't be trusted, then how do you know?

Where are you getting your information from?

If I were pushing a narrative, and had no scruples, and wanted to present Portland as on fire, I wouldn't have to fake photos. Clear HD images are captured in the thousands at just one event. I'd use those different images to give the impression of multiple events.

I've been to Portland a few times, but never made friends there. I do have friends that have friends there, and they say that the image of Portland is exaggerated and it all started with Trump and his comments.
Not sure what to make of your post.

Did you watch the news report posted by JGB? It's from a week ago. From the local CBS-affiliated station in Portland.

I dunno for sure, but I don't think they have a right-wing Trumpist agenda to bring Portland down because it's a progressive city.

I will ask the same question again: would you consider it no-big-deal if a mob tried to storm major public buildings in downtown Vancouver and set them on fire? Even if they didn't do it every day, would you still find that a "normal" or "acceptable" sequence of events in your city? If they did it a dozen times during a year? Once a month? Even once during the year? What is your tolerance level for that stuff?

Because if we can't agree on how often it's been happening (the CBS report, and also the Portland PD's Twitter channel many nights over the past 12 months suggest they aren't isolated one-offs), can we at least agree the even extremely isolated incidents of this sort aren't normal and acceptable?

Old 05-18-2021, 01:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I will ask the same question again: would you consider it no-big-deal if a mob tried to storm major public buildings in downtown Vancouver and set them on fire? Even if they didn't do it every day, would you still find that a "normal" or "acceptable" sequence of events in your city? If they did it a dozen times during a year? Once a month? Even once during the year? What is your tolerance level for that stuff?
You seem to have a lower tolerance for the crime of property damage than the crime of police brutality. Peaceful protests against the lawlessness of the police are met with violent maiming and beatings. In this context, I don't get too worked up about police stations being burned. I am hugely critical of the police in Montreal and have been for at least 15 years. We need police, but the institutions we have today are sick and unaccountable and most people unbothered by them don't seem to care.

That said, the movements in the US have changed nothing. Not sure how to affect change on this file put violence doesn't appear to work too well and I do not support it.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You seem to have a lower tolerance for the crime of property damage than the crime of police brutality. .
No, not really. I just addressed the discussion based on where it was going, which was whether or not Portland is a(n increasingly) crappy and unpleasant place to visit.

Police brutality and murders (whether committed by thugs or police) don't generally affect the average tourist.

Unruly mobs, closed-up businesses, trash, etc. generally do.

That's why I focused on that.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Peaceful protests against the lawlessness of the police are met with violent maiming and beatings. In this context, I don't get too worked up about police stations being burned. I am hugely critical of the police in Montreal and have been for at least 15 years. We need police, but the institutions we have today are sick and unaccountable and most people unbothered by them don't seem to care.

That said, the movements in the US have changed nothing. Not sure how to affect change on this file put violence doesn't appear to work too well and I do not support it.
Well, we are in agreement that everything that has transpired since George Floyd was killed (30+ deaths, countless thousands of jobs and livelihoods lost, billions in property damage) will be all for nought.

I don't disagree that police needs to be reformed (in some respects quite significantly) but it was a serious strategic mistake to hugely orient this laudable goal around slogans like defund the police, abolish the police, all cops are bastards, etc.

BTW Portland had its 30th murder of the year this week. Last year at this time they had 5. Reported by the local NBC station (again, not Breitbart or Fox News).

So no matter what people claim, it's not a "business as usual, nothing to see here" situation down there right now.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:01 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
W. Kamau Bell's last United Shades of America episode on Sunday was about Portland. Worth catching if it's rerun or you can get it on Demand.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:02 PM

3,869 posts, read 5,295,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, we are in agreement that everything that has transpired since George Floyd was killed (30+ deaths, countless thousands of jobs and livelihoods lost, billions in property damage) will be all for nought.

I don't disagree that police needs to be reformed (in some respects quite significantly) but it was a serious strategic mistake to hugely orient this laudable goal around slogans like defund the police, abolish the police, all cops are bastards, etc.

BTW Portland had its 30th murder of the year this week. Last year at this time they had 5. Reported by the local NBC station (again, not Breitbart or Fox News).

So no matter what people claim, it's not a "business as usual, nothing to see here" situation down there right now.
I am also extremely critical of the police and their conduct when warranted. But what was going on in Portland is hardly driven by any noble movement. The predominantly white and privileged crowds there destroying property are not standing up for black and brown lives at all. This is all about them and no one else.

I bet if you comb through the police reports you will see the majority of offenders are trust fund babies who have never had to work a day in their lives. Yes, slight hyperbole, but you know the type.

They ain't with us in the fight for justice, they just make it worse.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:34 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,954,081 times
Throw out summer season is what I can get from the USA Canadian border headlines today. I am shooting for a Oct. 1st opening. How the %$#@ did Canada blow such a big lead with getting covid under control. The USA is ready to ditch the mask and be free, Canada is hunkering down. So sad.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:40 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Throw out summer season is what I can get from the USA Canadian border headlines today. I am shooting for a Oct. 1st opening. How the %$#@ did Canada blow such a big lead with getting covid under control. The USA is ready to ditch the mask and be free, Canada is hunkering down. So sad.
Vaccines plus natural immunity will bring cases way down. The US is really close, probably a few more weeks (some states are already there). The UK and Israel already did it.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am also extremely critical of the police and their conduct when warranted. But what was going on in Portland is hardly driven by any noble movement. The predominantly white and privileged crowds there destroying property are not standing up for black and brown lives at all. This is all about them and no one else.

I bet if you comb through the police reports you will see the majority of offenders are trust fund babies who have never had to work a day in their lives. Yes, slight hyperbole, but you know the type.

They ain't with us in the fight for justice, they just make it worse.
Yes, one really doesn't get the impression that in Portland it's African-Americans fighting for justice with "allies" at their side.

I know the AA community in Portland is quite small compared to other cities, but still almost all the people arrested there seem to be of European origin. (The PD posts mugshots online of everyone arrested there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada