Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2021, 11:35 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times

Advertisements

Portland Or has probably the worse reputation in America right now.

Protests, riots, vandalism, massive homeless, deserted Downtown, high crime.

No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 02:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post

No thanks.
I am pretty sure this is mostly dependent on the mediasphere you are in. As far as I can tell, a huge percentage of the US population would not share the same opinion about the state Portland, Oregon is in at this time.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:38 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
As expected, there are already talks about opening the border to fully vaccinated people. But would that mean younger children will not be accepted since they cannot get a vaccine?

U.S.-Canada border reopening soon? Trudeau says ‘there is hope’ for a ‘better summer’

Preliminary talks on lifting Canada-U.S. border restrictions underway

Old 05-17-2021, 05:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
Quote:

No thanks.
LOL So there are protests and riots going on right now everyday? When I tink of high crime, there are several dozen cities that come to mind before portland.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:24 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I am pretty sure this is mostly dependent on the mediasphere you are in. As far as I can tell, a huge percentage of the US population would not share the same opinion about the state Portland, Oregon is in at this time.
I visited Portland, OR during the same trip I visited Vancouver, BC back in 2016. Portland was definitely a mixed bag. From my experience, 87112's middle two points rang true even back then. Downtown still had department stores and even an indoor mall but business was noticeably quiet. There are tons of homeless and mentally ill wandering about, especially around the Old Town/Chinatown section, stinking up the whole place and driving visitors away. What was absolutely most disgusting to me was how the City let the old Chinatown go from a once vibrant and tight knit community to a festering eyesore with hardly any Chinese left. I mean there was a homeless encampment right next to the Chinatown gate! Okay, admittedly nearly every urban Chinatown in North America is declining but not to the extent of Portland's Chinatown (except maybe Washington DC's Chinatown). One remaining vendor lamented that the City definitely did not prioritize helping the Chinese community though but sided with practically everyone else. Don't get me wrong, there are other parts of Portland that are beautiful and overall I enjoyed my visit but something told me the City's politics are very messed up. I don't think it can clean itself up in such a short time. Maybe just skip Downtown Portland and head directly to Washington Park or the scenic Columbia River Gorge next time.

Strangely enough, Vancouver also has a similar situation. The Downtown East Side neighborhood, which borders Vancouver's Chinatown and centers roughly at the intersection of East Hastings and Main Streets, is another homeless infested toilet bowl like another Skid Row or Tenderloin, the affect of which has negatively impacted Chinatown. I don't think I have seen so many homeless in North America as I saw on East Hastings Street. There is one documentary made about Vancouver Chinatown's demise which said over half the businesses have closed up these past two decades, partly due to rising rents and gentrification and partly due to the encroaching homeless problem and I believe it. Many Chinese have since relocated to Richmond and other parts while those that remain in old Chinatown have to brave declining fortunes and increased pandemic related crime. The saving grace for Vancouver is that the rest of downtown is not bad and the City has so many other fun and surrounding beautiful places to visit, so I'd definitely would want to visit again in the near future.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:46 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't think Portland's rep is on the level of Detroit or Baltimore, but clearly there are some things going on there that you don't see nor wish to see in my city or yours.

Stuff like mobs trashing or trying to set fire to public buildings, harassing and threatening restaurant patrons dining on patios, or encircling the homes of elected officials to threaten them. Just to name a few.

Whether this happens every day, once a week, once a month or once every six months doesn't matter.

It's IMO clearly been happening in Portland and happening too often - at least it would be if it was my city.

This has nothing to do with media "spheres". All of the photos and videos can't be fake, unless you think that the world's best audio-visual tricksters are all employed full time 24-7 making doctored CGI stuff to make Portland look bad.

And while right-wing media (traditional and social) may be guilty of running the same videos over and over (and saying it's all from "last night"), it's also true that some other media outlets are often willfully avoiding covering this stuff out of ideological interest as well.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:33 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Quote:
The headlines are coming in for Canada Travel 2021 and it seems like the border will be opening before fall.

I finally will be able to make a road trip from Seattle to Vancouver BC, NICE!! Its either Vancouver or Portland OR for big cities nearby and who in the world wants to go to Portland, OR nowadays.
Whats wrong with portland?
Exactly.The place is a "riot."

Portland, Oregon Protest Thread

https://youtu.be/kaY2lHsZqBs

Old 05-18-2021, 08:20 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And CBS ain't Breitbart AFAIK...

Old 05-18-2021, 11:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think Portland's rep is on the level of Detroit or Baltimore, but clearly there are some things going on there that you don't see nor wish to see in my city or yours.

Stuff like mobs trashing or trying to set fire to public buildings, harassing and threatening restaurant patrons dining on patios, or encircling the homes of elected officials to threaten them. Just to name a few.

Whether this happens every day, once a week, once a month or once every six months doesn't matter.

It's IMO clearly been happening in Portland and happening too often - at least it would be if it was my city.

This has nothing to do with media "spheres". All of the photos and videos can't be fake, unless you think that the world's best audio-visual tricksters are all employed full time 24-7 making doctored CGI stuff to make Portland look bad.

And while right-wing media (traditional and social) may be guilty of running the same videos over and over (and saying it's all from "last night"), it's also true that some other media outlets are often willfully avoiding covering this stuff out of ideological interest as well.
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but if media can't be trusted, then how do you know?

Where are you getting your information from?

If I were pushing a narrative, and had no scruples, and wanted to present Portland as on fire, I wouldn't have to fake photos. Clear HD images are captured in the thousands at just one event. I'd use those different images to give the impression of multiple events.

I've been to Portland a few times, but never made friends there. I do have friends that have friends there, and they say that the image of Portland is exaggerated and it all started with Trump and his comments.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:14 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, I thought all the news about serious unrest there was fake?
I am not saying anything is fake. I heard about unrest there a while back. I didn't realize it was still going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada