Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 08:12 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Vaccines plus natural immunity will bring cases way down. The US is really close, probably a few more weeks (some states are already there). The UK and Israel already did it.
Watch out. Canada might retake the lead this week. A third of our fellow Americans say they refuse to get a vaccine and these selfish, conceited countrymen of ours are going to ruin all of our progress in reopening the border.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...week-1.5433604
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 08:13 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Watch out. Canada might retake the lead this week. A third of our fellow Americans say they refuse to get a vaccine and these selfish, conceited countrymen of ours are going to ruin all of our progress.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...week-1.5433604
Canada cannot surpass the US any time soon because of the 2nd dose full vaccination. Perhaps in a few months. Also, don't forget about natural immunity (people who already had covid) and they are far more than the reported number.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:13 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Canada cannot surpass the US any time soon because of the 2nd dose full vaccination. Perhaps in a few months. Also, don't forget about natural immunity (people who already had covid) and they are far more than the reported number.
What is the opinion on the ground? Do Canadians want the border opened? What are the polls showing?

It seems that here we are happy in our so called gilded cage. The PM stated last week that we may be looking at closed borders until mid 2022. The media went into a frenzy but the surveys are showing that about 73% of people want them kept shut.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:54 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,950,643 times
I truly don't believe in media announced surveys. Who has ever audited a survey? 73 percent might be 93 percent or 23 percent as far as I can tell. For me to believe that its 73 percent seems far fetched.

I don't think Canadiens are truly that negative and trust the government that much to keep them " safe ". The government is not your mother people. Trust yourself and your own actions, let me choose to go near people or not. If the border is opened up and I am not comfortable stay 10 feet away and wear 2 mask. Let the businesses have a chance to make money opening up. Opening up means only for now vaccinated people, if even that scares well what can I say.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

What is the opinion on the ground? Do Canadians want the border opened? What are the polls showing?

It seems that here we are happy in our so called gilded cage. The PM stated last week that we may be looking at closed borders until mid 2022. The media went into a frenzy but the surveys are showing that about 73% of people want them kept shut.
No, they don't want it opened yet. The most recent polls showed that the majority of Canadians want the borders to stay closed until herd immunity has been reached...... at the very least.

I think another thing that is causing many Canadians to dig in their heels in their opinions about the borders staying closed is .... ? peer ? ...... pressure (I don't know what else to call it). They have been becoming more and more pissed off about the excessive pressure (translates to bullying and coercion) that is being put on Canada lately by American governors in border states and elsewhere who have been insisting that Canada should open the border (for various reasons) to visiting Americans who have been vaccinated twice. As if they think that makes everything tickety boo. People in other countries aren't putting so much pressure on, it's just the Americans doing it.

So I think that kind of pressure works the way reverse psychology works - the more pressure that gets put on Canadians by people who have no rights to enter Canada telling Canadians what they want Canada to do, the more annoyed, rigid and stubborn the Canadians become about being told what to do, so they'll be keeping it closed for longer and longer.

Of course this kind of stand-off between the two has been standard procedure for decades and a lot of them still haven't figured it out yet, but this is one of those times when I think they really seriously need to resign themselves to shutting up and patiently attend to their own business without trying to interfere with Canada's decision making.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:24 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,950,643 times
Did America let in Canadian Snowbirds during all of Covid ? I did not follow much of it, I assume we did.

I am still curious why Mexico is doing better with Covid numbers than Canada. The border was never closed whatsoever, the government of Mexico just said it was for political BS reasons. I went 3 times for vacation last year.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:40 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Did America let in Canadian Snowbirds during all of Covid ? I did not follow much of it, I assume we did.

I am still curious why Mexico is doing better with Covid numbers than Canada. The border was never closed whatsoever, the government of Mexico just said it was for political BS reasons. I went 3 times for vacation last year.
Mexico covid deaths per million
Daily average over the past 7 days: 1.54 (200 deaths, 130 million pop)
Cumulative: 1698 (220,746 deaths, 130 million pop)
Median age: 29 years old

Canada covid deaths per million
Daily average over the past 7 days: 1.13 (43 deaths, 38 million pop)
Cumulative: 658 (25,018 deaths, 38 million pop)
Median age: 42 years old

With a much younger population and certainly a worse infrastructure to count covid deaths, Mexico has 35% more deaths per capita lately and 158% more deaths since the beginning of the pandemic. How is it doing better again??

Old 05-19-2021, 01:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

I got the AZ vaccine because the age eligibility to get the vaccine was going down very slowly here in MB. WHen they announced people in my age range could get the AZ vaccine I went out and got it.....Now a couple of weeks later everyone can get the other vaccines, pfizer and moderna. I really wish I would have waited.
I am in the exact same situation. In Ontario, we were stuck at over 60-65 for so long so when they finally lowered the age to over 40 I jumped at the opportunity and got the AZ shot at my local Shoppers Drug Mart.

At that time, they were uncertain what other vaccines would be available, and when and it was stressing me out. I'm kind of kicking myself now, but then again, it's 3 weeks past so I do feel a bit better about the first dose, although I am curious what will happen with the second one.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I am in the exact same situation. In Ontario, we were stuck at over 60-65 for so long so when they finally lowered the age to over 40 I jumped at the opportunity and got the AZ shot at my local Shoppers Drug Mart.

At that time, they were uncertain what other vaccines would be available, and when and it was stressing me out. I'm kind of kicking myself now, but then again, it's 3 weeks past so I do feel a bit better about the first dose, although I am curious what will happen with the second one.
They are saying the second dose is safer.I am just past my 3 week mark also. Hopefully there will be enough for AZ vaccine to get their second shot. They said it was safe, and went out of their way to get that message across so I expect the exact same vaccine.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:20 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
More AZ vaccine is being shipped to the various provinces this week. Scroll down to the last table on this page:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...e-rollout.html

to see how much is being shipped to each province.

Strangely, the page isn’t being kept up to date on Pfizer doses. The extra 1.5 million Pfizer doses being shipped late this week to the provinces isn’t reflected on the Pfizer table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada