Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 09:03 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Oh yeah, just as in comparison to Indo-Americans, which was the question. I do think Indo-Canadians in general are well integrated into society, as much as any other immigrant group more or less, just being such a large ethnicity in some areas brings with it a different dynamic. Being Indian in Surrey or Brampton is different from being Indian in Quebec City or Boise or Portland.
Are those in Brampton and Surrey of the same ethnicity, Sikhism?
I have friends whose families came from Goa and SriLanka, oh well .. whatever makes them happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 08:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Are those in Brampton and Surrey of the same ethnicity, Sikhism?
I have friends whose families came from Goa and SriLanka, oh well .. whatever makes them happy.
Sikhism is a religion, the ethnicity of most Sihks is Punjabi, but not all Punjabis are Sikhs. The Indian communities in Brampton and Surrey are majority Sikh, but the majority is not an overwhelming majority, very large numbers of non-Sikh Indians also live in both cities.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:16 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Around here they are overwhelmingly SIkh. You seem them driving around everywhere with this symbol some where on their car. Every second or third car that passes me on street will have this symbol on it.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:56 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
The very first time I came to Canada, I was heading up toward a small town in a rural area of Ontario. Just before the main part of the town, I saw a convenience store, and I stopped to pick up a bottle of water and use the washroom. I was a little nervous because I was in a foreign country where I knew only one person, and that one from the Interwebz only.

I walked in, and there behind the counter was a Sikh. I immediately felt at home. It was just like Jersey! Seriously, though, it did make me feel comfortable to see that there was a similar diversity in middle of nowhere. I'd been half-expecting people to throw rotten fruit at my car with the NJ plates or to be pulled over by those cars with OPP on the side and taken into the deep woods to be left for wolf food.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:49 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The very first time I came to Canada, I was heading up toward a small town in a rural area of Ontario.
I walked in, and there behind the counter was a Sikh. I immediately felt at home. It was just like Jersey! d.
Would You have felt the same way if it was a Puerto Rican or Dominican behind the counter?

Old 01-23-2022, 11:13 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Would You have felt the same way if it was a Puerto Rican or Dominican behind the counter?
Sure, why not? I honestly don't know what you are trying to get at here.

I'm from NEW JERSEY and worked in NYC all my life. You think I don't know Puerto Ricans or Dominicans? LOL. Heck, people from the islands fly back and forth to visit family like other people drive to a neighboring state.

Besides, I worked in the engineering industry all my life. There's no ethnic group not represented in that world. I even had a coworker who was a Sherpa.

The point was that convenience stores in New Jersey are often owned by Indians of different backgrounds, including Sikhs, so when going to a strange, especially rural, place that I expected to be predominantly white, it was a pleasant surprise to find it otherwise, especially in a familiar way.

As a matter of fact, I came to find out that the area was more diverse overall than I'd expected. The best little restaurant in town is owned by a man from China, and halal meat was even sold in the grocery store. The even-smaller village up the road has an LGBTQ+ group that has a big Pride parade and events every June, just like at Asbury Park near my home in NJ.

I think the biggest ethnic surprise of all was running into a number of Dutch immigrants. I am of Dutch descent and grew up in a town full of people of the same heritage, as was common in North Jersey fifty years ago, though not so much now. I guess I never thought of the Dutch being in Canada as well. There's a store with a whole shelf of the types of cookies that I grew up eating and are hard to find now. When my mother was still alive, I'd bring back a box of them for her.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-23-2022 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-23-2022, 11:30 AM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Quote:
I think the biggest ethnic surprise of all was running into a number of Dutch immigrants. I am of Dutch descent and grew up in a town full of people of the same heritage, as was common in North Jersey fifty years ago, though not so much now. I guess I never thought of the Dutch being in Canada as well. There's a store with a whole shelf of the types of cookies that I grew up eating and are hard to find now. When my mother was still alive, I'd bring back a box of them for her.
Post war Dutch immigration to Canada: https://pier21.ca/blog/jan-raska-phd...hrough-pier-21

Old 01-23-2022, 11:46 AM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Quote:
I walked in, and there behind the counter was a Sikh. I immediately felt at home. It was just like Jersey! Seriously, though, it did make me feel comfortable to see that there was a similar diversity in middle of nowhere. I'd been half-expecting people to throw rotten fruit at my car with the NJ plates or to be pulled over by those cars with OPP on the side and taken into the deep woods to be left for wolf food.
Not many of them are wearing turbans nowadays. I would have a hard time telling them apart from the other Indians.
They are friendly, hardworking and easy going, just watch Ian Hanomansing on CBC.
Most of the Indo-Canadian farm workers/owners around Metro Vancouver are from Punjab (Sikh).

Old 01-23-2022, 12:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What does integrating extremely well mean?

I see Indians doing very well financially, I am not sure they are integrating all that much though. Infact they seem hell bent on making things as Indian as possible. Their population is exploding here where I live. I see them everywhere now. Specially in my parents nieghborhood. Just 5 years ago there were no Indians. Now there are half a dozen Indian families on their block alone. they are not very friendly either.

Yes except Canada is not attached to India. They are possibly the furthest place from here.
It means participating in the social and political aspects of the country.

You see Indians represented in Government, BC had an Indian Premier at one point.

You see them socializing with other Canadians of all stripes. I see them at charity events for all sorts of causes etc.

i see them in all sorts of occupations.

I see them starting their own business etc.

They are living as Canadians, while keeping the traditions of home, which adds to our society. Heck, THE FOOD ALONE!!

Like all first and second generations immigrants tend to do.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-23-2022 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-23-2022, 12:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Not many of them are wearing turbans nowadays. I would have a hard time telling them apart from the other Indians.
They are friendly, hardworking and easy going, just watch Ian Hanomansing on CBC.
Most of the Indo-Canadian farm workers/owners around Metro Vancouver are from Punjab (Sikh).
Ian is of Indian heritage, but is from Trinidad.

I see him walking around town, in grocery stores etc. He always nods and smiles.

He has a great voice for broadcasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada