Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 07:06 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,320,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Something like that would be more fair. Indian immigration to Canada has more than doubled in the past five years. This will likely not change anytime so due to their community leaders here being very politically savy, as mentioned above.
I did not know that. However, last year was unusual in a way.
During the first 8 months of 2021, the number of admissions exploded 45.7% for those already in Canada with TFWP, IMP, or student visas at a Canadian university. (source: immigration.ca)
And International Post-Graduate category of the BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) can help one gain permanent residence.
There is also the CEC category:
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/06/express-entry-canada-invites-1002-cec-candidates-0618376.html
Canada's Express Entry draw invites 6,000 CEC immigratin candidates
CRS requiremen drops again, this time to 357. It is the second-lowest CRS for a CEC-only draw ever
June 24th, 2021
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 08:49 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
A lot of the corner stores i went to in ny/nj were bodegas run by dominicans and Pricans. I imagine running into them would also feel like being at home.

I see what you mean though, I currently live on the prairies and I have seen Indians working gas stations and stores in the smallest most isolated towns. In the middle of no where prairies. Pretty normal here in Canada.
Yup, and I wonder why bodegas are always almost always on the corner.

That's a difference between here (Canada) and home (NY/NJ metro area.)

I speak only English, but I can come up with a few words or phrases in Spanish just picking it up from people around me, and of course seeing ads and signs in Spanish and at least knowing how to read many of the words, even if I don't speak them. But everybody knows a little bit of Spanish.

Here it's French.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:08 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
I’m not sure why having a large number of immigrants from a particular country is such a bad thing. How many millions came from the British Empire or the Russian Empire when most peoples great grandparents were born? I think the US has quotas for number of people from each of the countries right? I do think though our immigration system is far from perfect. It tends to favour only bringing in people who are very educated and wealthy while at the same time making it very difficult to find jobs in their field. Why do they need to be a doctor or lawyer in their home country in the first place then, if they can’t practise here? I also remember reading somewhere we grant visas to people for investing a certain amount of money (maybe 500k) in the Canadian economy. I feel like this kind of thing leads to us becoming a sort of tax haven, which is exactly what our real estate is being used for in many ways. Also, with a housing crisis going on and labour shortages in industries like construction and truck driving, shouldn’t we bring more working and middle class immigrants who are skilled at these fields rather than giving former pediatricians and university profs visas but offering no better options than to run Tim Hortons franchises when they come here?

Old 01-24-2022, 04:30 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
It's better for integration to the new country if immigrants are from a wide variety of different countries and don't congregate together amongst their "in-group" too much.

It's better for the retention of cultures to have large numbers of people from a smaller number of specific countries who attain critical mass in certain areas of the country.

Take your pick.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:08 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Pierogies are great. My life would be perfectly fine without them though. They don't really improve my life in any shape or form. There are probably waaay more places to get indian food out here than pierogies.

My comment wasn't about immigrants or immigration in general. it was spefic to Indians. Of course immigrants add something. But what exactly makes Indian immigrants better than others?

Having access to different foods is great. Anything else other than that?
I never said better, but said they integrate easier than some others, and language is one possible reason.

All immigrants brings something to the table.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-24-2022 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-24-2022, 11:13 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Do you think Indians integrate better and socialize with other ethnic groups more than Jamaicans and Filipinos?
Most Jamaicans settle in Ontario. Only a few thousand here in BC. I personally don't know any.

Filipinos though, I do. I would say they are also good at integrating.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:42 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Most Jamaicans settle in Ontario. Only a few thousand here in BC. I personally don't know any.

Filipinos though, I do. I would say they are also good at integrating.
What groups are not good at integrating in your opinion?

Old 01-24-2022, 01:58 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Luis, you should know that in the 2020s we're not supposed to say that certain groups are better at integrating than others!

Old 01-24-2022, 02:48 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I never said better, but said they integrate easier than some others, and language is one possible reason.

All immigrants brings something to the table.
Which immigrant table do you like best?

Old 01-24-2022, 02:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
I know you addressed your question to Nat but I'm going to respond anyway.

What groups where? There is no "one size fits all". I think ease of integration varies depending on locations that people come from and the new locations that they're moving to. I've encountered certain groups of newcomers who don't seem to want to integrate and I've encountered other people who don't seem to want to allow integration by newcomers. Add to that, people who live in rural settings vs. people who live in cities generally have different attitudes from each other.

And then you have people online who could be any place and members of any groups - some are neutral and unbiased, some are too friendly and nosey for their own good and some have such massively huge chips on their shoulders it's a wonder they aren't bent over with broken backs.

There are a number of groups of people that I think have difficulties integrating with their new societies. But it isn't always because of them having a problem with it, it's often because of them encountering insular bigots in their new societies who do all they can to make the newcomers feel totally unwelcome.

I wouldn't say online who they all are but I would say it in person if I was in a face to face discussion with people.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada