Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 08:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times

Advertisements

Hard to believe a rally like this took place with people openly carrying weapons. Even worse the leader of a major political party was present there. SMH I have to admit, it does seem like a very close knit community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnU45bVDqek

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-25-2022 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 08:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLatKWmR7L4

Old 01-26-2022, 01:44 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
So what are we seeing here and what is the point? Are these posts supposed to be called expressions of Sikhophobia? Or is it sweeping broad brush Indophobia?

Old 01-26-2022, 06:42 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't agree with that about what we're not supposed to insinuate about who has more legitimacy. I thumb my nose at that kind of political correctness and attempts at thought control.

I do agree that once a person has their Canadian citizenship then they're just as much a Canadian as any other Canadian citizen. That doesn't necessarily make their culture automatically "at home" here though. They might have to change their culture if they're going to be an acceptable Canadian citizen.

As far as I'm concerned every new immigrant to Canada has the onus on him to prove his worthiness and it takes more than a few years to do that. Becoming a citizen doesn't automatically make a citizen a worthy person either and if a new citizen proves to be an unworthy person..... i.e. proves to be a criminal or espouses a culture that is dangerous to society, or just turns out to be an all round dissident and trouble maker with a capital T ..... then their citizenship can be revoked and they can be deported back to where they came from with no chance of ever returning again to Canada.

The bar is actually much higher than this to strip someone of their Canadian citizenship.

A foreign-born Canadian citizen can be stripped of citizenship if they acted fraudulently at any step in the process the led to them coming to Canada and eventually becam citizens.

And I believe any Canadian (regardless of where they were born) can be stripped of citizenship if found guilty of terrorist crimes.

That's about it.

There aren't any requirements related to "worthiness" or "culture" or "dissidence" or trouble-maker" that make one ineligible for citizenship or liable to lose it.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:27 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah thats why i said more or less. I bet a good number of Vancouvers minuscule black community are of Jamaican/Caribbean background though. There might be more africans now. There are very very few old black communities in Canada. Its a similar situatuon right across the country.

The big groups are usually the same acrosss most cities ...Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, iranian, Filipinos etc etc. The only city to really break from this pattern is Montreal. Yes they have these groups also but its a bit different than other cities.

Montreal has a higher percentage of Black folks than Indians and Chinese. That is unthinkable in the rest of Canada.
You are correct.

The proportions vary but with the exception of African-descended (especially Afro-Caribbean) people in Ontario cities, there is a great deal of similarity in the main groups (even though proportions vary of course) between the main immigration cities of Anglo-Canada like Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg, etc.

In addition to a proportionately larger Black population and much smaller Indian and Chinese communities, Montreal also has way more Lebanese/Middle Eastern and North African people as well.

Due to the recent propensity of Euro-French people to move there to either study or work, it also has a much younger European origin immigrant population.

There are noticeably and audibly more young Euro-French people in Montreal than, say, young Euro-British people in Toronto or Vancouver.

Toronto and Vancouver and other ROC cities have no shortage of people with British accents walking around, but they tend to be quite a bit older than the French-born people you encounter in Montreal.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
So what are we seeing here and what is the point? Are these posts supposed to be called expressions of Sikhophobia? Or is it sweeping broad brush Indophobia?

In that case you would have to call cbc those things. I didnt make the video.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:43 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

The bar is actually much higher than this to strip someone of their Canadian citizenship.... < snip > .... That's about it....
That's not about it. It's rather more comprehensive and inclusive than that. Terrorism and treason cover a broad range of acts and/or intentions. Be sure to read this right through from the top to the bottom of the page:
https://canadian-citizenship.ca/faqs...ration%20fraud.

Old 01-26-2022, 12:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Yet you say nothing about Zoisites comment about Latinos. Get off your high horse your prejudice is showing more than mine.

Why should the topic of political extremism and religious zealotry be avoided? They are important topics that impact our society. Sad you are to desperate to pretend its not going on.

In any case my comment was a response to zoisite about Latinos. Your silence means you agree with her.
What is there to say?

She was commenting on a timeline of certain immigrant groups.

Indians have a longer history of and a greater number have migrated to Canada than people from Latin America. ESPECIALLy here in BC. Just because they have just started to settle in you area, and are feeling what you are feeling, you think we all should feel that way. Sorry, but my experience with Indians, newly arrived and ones that have been here a couple of generations, has been nothing but positive.

As for my silence. NEVER assume that if someone doesn't comment that they agree with that person. in this case I think you have misunderstood her comments.

The reason I didn't comment is because this isn't a thread about Latin Americans immigrating to Canada.

Believe it or not, sometimes I do try and keep a thread on topic

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-26-2022 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-26-2022, 12:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Some one craps on latinos in favour of another group. I point out a fact in our defense and i'm prejudice? LMAO
No one crapped on latinos.

You reacted though with a response that was filled with prejudice.

All I did was point that just because an extremist from a certain group bombed a plane, doesn't mean all people in that group are extremists.

I'm getting the feeling that your earlier posts were an attempt to lure me into stating things that I did not say. Like the word " better " in regards immigrants from India. It seems you WANT to think that people think they are so you can last out.

This has now turned into a thread about Sikhs. and not all Indians.

Wonder why?

Old 01-26-2022, 01:07 PM

I am not the one that brought up Latinos into the conversation. If she was simply talking about time lines why bring Latinos into this?? Accuse us of being resentful and jealous of sikhs? Saying we are less industrious? If that's true of us than it is also true of average white Canadians as I looked it up and South asian families and Asians in general make more than white families. If college degrees and money are all that matter well whites are in the same boat as the rest of us here. The vast majority of sikh are not from old communties.

I only said those other things in response to her. And yes silence is complicity. In any case i never advocated for more latinos here. I actually discourage them from coming to Canada. I plan on eventually leaving myself. That should make you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada