Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 02:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post

It’s sort of a dirty sounding word, for whatever reason. What does it mean exactly? .....
In a nutshell assimilate literally means "to absorb or engulf something whole and alive and then digest it".

That's one of the reasons why the word has a dirty feel about it because for many people it brings to mind the predatory actions of a frog or snake or a giant red leech as it engulfs its living prey and swallows it whole and alive and then digests it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 02:43 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And another thing Luis that you need to be reminded of. The Sikhs were settled here in Canada nearly 100 years before you were even born in whatever foreign country you immigrated from. They have a 130 years history in Canada and have always been good citizens that have contributed tremendously to the Crown and Canadian society and the Canadian economy and government. They have just as much right as any other group of long standing to be here in whatever numbers.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....ish%20Columbia.

Memo: In 2020s Canada we're also not supposed to insinuate that groups or individuals have more legitimacy due to when they arrived here. (At least not for anyone who isn't Indigenous... um... complicated.)

But anyway, the dude who just got off the plane from Afghanistan and who becomes a citizen 3 years from now is every bit as Canadian (and his culture is entirely "at home" here) as all of the people descended from the colonists of New France arrived in the early 1600s or the descendants of United Empire Loyalists in the late 1700s.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:03 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Yeah the vast majority of Sikhs in Canada are not from old communities. In fact I only remember ever going to school with two SIkhs growing up.

That link zoisite was an interesting read though. Sad Canadians treated those early Sikhs so poorly.

Here's another interesting read....
https://www.indiatoday.in/world/asia...396-2013-05-17

Old 01-25-2022, 03:13 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, immigrant patterns are probably different all over the country.
Same as in my country.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same as in my country.
Not really. The only real outlier here is Quebec. In all other places here in Canada immigration patterns are more or less the same.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Memo: In 2020s Canada we're also not supposed to insinuate that groups or individuals have more legitimacy due to when they arrived here. (At least not for anyone who isn't Indigenous... um... complicated.)

But anyway, the dude who just got off the plane from Afghanistan and who becomes a citizen 3 years from now is every bit as Canadian (and his culture is entirely "at home" here) as all of the people descended from the colonists of New France arrived in the early 1600s or the descendants of United Empire Loyalists in the late 1700s.
I don't agree with that about what we're not supposed to insinuate about who has more legitimacy. I thumb my nose at that kind of political correctness and attempts at thought control.

I do agree that once a person has their Canadian citizenship then they're just as much a Canadian as any other Canadian citizen. That doesn't necessarily make their culture automatically "at home" here though. They might have to change their culture if they're going to be an acceptable Canadian citizen.

As far as I'm concerned every new immigrant to Canada has the onus on him to prove his worthiness and it takes more than a few years to do that. Becoming a citizen doesn't automatically make a citizen a worthy person either and if a new citizen proves to be an unworthy person..... i.e. proves to be a criminal or espouses a culture that is dangerous to society, or just turns out to be an all round dissident and trouble maker with a capital T ..... then their citizenship can be revoked and they can be deported back to where they came from with no chance of ever returning again to Canada.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:58 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In a nutshell assimilate literally means "to absorb or engulf something whole and alive and then digest it".

That's one of the reasons why the word has a dirty feel about it because for many people it brings to mind the predatory actions of a frog or snake or a giant red leech as it engulfs its living prey and swallows it whole and alive and then digests it.

The word “assimilate” reminds me of Star Trek - the Borg.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:58 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Not really. The only real outlier here is Quebec. In all other places here in Canada immigration patterns are more or less the same.
But Natnasci just said, for example, that there aren't many Jamaicans out West.

Old 01-25-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But Natnasci just said, for example, that there aren't many Jamaicans out West.
Yeah thats why i said more or less. I bet a good number of Vancouvers minuscule black community are of Jamaican/Caribbean background though. There might be more africans now. There are very very few old black communities in Canada. Its a similar situatuon right across the country.

The big groups are usually the same acrosss most cities ...Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, iranian, Filipinos etc etc. The only city to really break from this pattern is Montreal. Yes they have these groups also but its a bit different than other cities.

Montreal has a higher percentage of Black folks than Indians and Chinese. That is unthinkable in the rest of Canada.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-25-2022 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-25-2022, 05:30 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
The results of the 2021 Census will be released in stages.

October 26 is the target date to release the following:

- Portrait of citizenship and immigration in Canada
- Ethnocultural and religious composition of the population
- Mobility and migration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada