Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 08:22 AM

150 posts, read 156,081 times

Advertisements

There’s a huge difference between Indo-Americans and Indo-Canadians. It seems to me that Indian Canadians try to keep in touch with their Indian roots more. And they have a more close knit community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 10:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
There’s a huge difference between Indo-Americans and Indo-Canadians. It seems to me that Indian Canadians try to keep in touch with their Indian roots more. And they have a more close knit community
There's more of a critical mass of Indo-Canadians present in most areas of Canada, we are a larger percentage of the population in Canadian cities than Indo-Americans are in American cities. As such, we're a bit more like mexicans in the US, with large communities, grocery stores, places of worship, cultural activities etc, so less assimilation.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:17 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
It depends. Come to Oklahoma say there are not close knit communities:>

Old 01-22-2022, 12:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Are they all Indo-Americans?

Old 01-22-2022, 12:14 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Oklahoma has fewer than 15,000 people from India according to Wikipedia. I guess they might be close-knit, but how visible are they? And I assume they are mostly in urban areas?

NJ has around 384,000. While some do tend to live in Indian communities, after three or four decades there are others living in mixed or majority Caucasian neighborhoods too. As I told one poster inquiring about places to live in NJ, Indians aren't even exotic anymore in NJ. The mayor of Hoboken, Frank Sinatra's hometown, is a Sikh born in Passaic.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
There's more of a critical mass of Indo-Canadians present in most areas of Canada, we are a larger percentage of the population in Canadian cities than Indo-Americans are in American cities. As such, we're a bit more like mexicans in the US, with large communities, grocery stores, places of worship, cultural activities etc, so less assimilation.
I agree overall, but IMO less assimilation is generational.

I know you know the Vancouver area, and I'm sure the same holds true in other parts of Canada, but Indo-Canadians have integrated extremely well into Canadian society.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I know you know the Vancouver area, and I'm sure the same holds true in other parts of Canada, but Indo-Canadians have integrated extremely well into Canadian society.
Oh yeah, just as in comparison to Indo-Americans, which was the question. I do think Indo-Canadians in general are well integrated into society, as much as any other immigrant group more or less, just being such a large ethnicity in some areas brings with it a different dynamic. Being Indian in Surrey or Brampton is different from being Indian in Quebec City or Boise or Portland.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Oh yeah, just as in comparison to Indo-Americans, which was the question. I do think Indo-Canadians in general are well integrated into society, as much as any other immigrant group more or less, just being such a large ethnicity in some areas brings with it a different dynamic. Being Indian in Surrey or Brampton is different from being Indian in Quebec City or Boise or Portland.
Agreed.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:31 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
I think most secular Western individuals would have a hard time comprehending this, but Indian-American communities are pretty close-knit. Perhaps not on a wide ethno-centric or political basis (Canada has Indian demographics that skews Punjabi Sikhs, many of them who support Sikh separatism) but rather on a familial and religious basis (through their house of worship). I know my parents have a fairly wide social network through their temple. They are always hosting or going to "potluck" dinners/prayer events. I'm not a believer but these folks have always treated me warmly and kindly, like family. I go to family member's weddings and it's always at least a 300+ people affair. People in the West used to have these sort of close connections before their culture became hyper-atomized and secularized, and it may look like some sort of cabal from the outside. A coincidental side-effect of these networks is that it makes it easier to meet/find trustworthy business partners.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 01-22-2022 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-22-2022, 07:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

What does integrating extremely well mean?

I see Indians doing very well financially, I am not sure they are integrating all that much though. Infact they seem hell bent on making things as Indian as possible. Their population is exploding here where I live. I see them everywhere now. Specially in my parents nieghborhood. Just 5 years ago there were no Indians. Now there are half a dozen Indian families on their block alone. they are not very friendly either.

Quote:
As such, we're a bit more like mexicans in the US, with large communities, grocery stores, places of worship, cultural activities etc, so less assimilation.
Yes except Canada is not attached to India. They are possibly the furthest place from here.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-22-2022 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada