Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 12:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Post war Dutch immigration to Canada: https://pier21.ca/blog/jan-raska-phd...hrough-pier-21

To add to that.

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/19...born-in-ottawa

Plus we still receive tulips from them every year. The Dutch have long memories.

https://aboutthenetherlands.com/why-...ips-to-canada/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 01:00 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Post war Dutch immigration to Canada: https://pier21.ca/blog/jan-raska-phd...hrough-pier-21

I know that NOW, and I don't know why I never knew that it was Canada that liberated the Dutch in WWII, either!

My Canadian partner hitchhiked through Europe in 1971 and said he never paid for a drink or a meal in the Netherlands.

But I am always willing to learn.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ian is of Indian heritage, but is from Trinidad.

I see him walking around town, in grocery stores etc. He always nods and smiles.

He has a great voice for broadcasting.
A coworker from India married another coworker who was of Indian descent from Trinidad. She said her cooking had become a fusion of foods from her part of India (I forget which, but I remember she said they weren't big on curry) and her husband's Caribbean favorites.

We had lot of Indian-Guyanese surveyors, too, for some reason, as well as a woman from our HR who used to ride on my train. Her boyfriend was Puerto Rican, and her aunts were always trying to match her up with Indian men even though she had been living with him for 20 years and they owned a house together. They assumed she was only with him because she couldn't find an Indian husband.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know that NOW, and I don't know why I never knew that it was Canada that liberated the Dutch in WWII, either!

My Canadian partner hitchhiked through Europe in 1971 and said he never paid for a drink or a meal in the Netherlands.

But I am always willing to learn.
I think I know why.

You were probably never taught much about Canada in school.

That friend from Spokane...which is only a 3 hour drive to the border, said they never learned anything about Canada.

It's not unusual for Canadians to have some Americans express surprise that Canada was in the Second World War.

I realize that this varies across the US.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
A coworker from India married another coworker who was of Indian descent from Trinidad. She said her cooking had become a fusion of foods from her part of India (I forget which, but I remember she said they weren't big on curry) and her husband's Caribbean favorites.
I worked with a woman of Indian descent who was from Fiji. She said her Indian cooking was different from that right from India. That said, Indian food varies in India as well.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I worked with a woman of Indian descent who was from Fiji. She said her Indian cooking was different from that right from India. That said, Indian food varies in India as well.
Yes, that's what this woman said. People went to an Indian place for birthday lunch or something, and not being that familiar with Indian food, I asked her if she knew the place. She said the part of India from whence she came didn't eat much of that type of food, meaning the curries and other foods we think of as typically Indian, etc.

She said a few other things along the way, such as that in her part of India, the women usually managed and controlled the household finances, not the men. She seemed to be culturally Hindu, but not particularly religious.

It is a diverse country. I once met a Mar Thoma Christian, an Indian sect in Kerala that claims the apostle Thomas brought Christianity to them. When the Portuguese Catholics came upon them in the 15th century, they were shocked to find these churches that had crosses decorated with elephants, a book called the Gospel of Thomas that was basically a collection of sayings of Jesus, but no Bible, used Syriac, not Latin, in their liturgy, and had never even heard of Rome. They gave those heretics what-for.

But they survived, and I discovered that there is a Mar Thoma Christian church in Toronto.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:36 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:

We had lot of Indian-Guyanese surveyors, too, for some reason, as well as a woman from our HR who used to ride on my train. Her boyfriend was Puerto Rican, and her aunts were always trying to match her up with Indian men even though she had been living with him for 20 years and they owned a house together. They assumed she was only with him because she couldn't find an Indian husband.
That's funny.

Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
Catch me a catch, ...

Old 01-23-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I think I know why.

You were probably never taught much about Canada in school.

That friend from Spokane...which is only a 3 hour drive to the border, said they never learned anything about Canada.

It's not unusual for Canadians to have some Americans express surprise that Canada was in the Second World War.

I realize that this varies across the US.
You are absolutely correct. From my perspective NOW, it is appalling how little we were told about our neighbors to the north. The border is only a few hundred miles from where I lived most of my life, yet beyond the usual knowledge that Peter Jennings, Alex Trebek, and Michael J. Fox were Canadian, it was rarely on my radar. I always just kind of thought of Canada as an extension of Great Britain on this side of the pond with few people and a lot of trees. Oh, I knew people who visited Toronto sometimes, including my sister, and declared it a "cleaner New York", and I worked with a Haitian man who regularly traveled to Montreal because he had family there.

Oh, and my parents went to Nova Scotia on the ferry from Maine once, and then my sister did the same on her honeymoon for her first marriage.

Eventually as I got more involved in the engineering transportation industry as I moved up in my career, Canada was more visible because the same firms design and build and operate the bridges and airports and rail systems and often have corporate offices on both sides of the border.

Even so, not until I got in a relationship with a Canadian about five years ago did I come to learn how intertwined we really are. Even now, I'll find out with surprise that this famous person or that one is actually Canadian. I'm enjoying the learning. He even gave me the book A Little History of Canada, which I go back to off and on and read a chapter.

To be fair, I know even less about Mexico, but again, Canada was CLOSE. You'd think we'd know better.

Also, in the NYC metro area where I lived all my life, we sometimes snobbily dismiss other places, even American, as inconsequential. Not so much now, but in my younger days. I remember working in the city and reading the New York Times at lunch. There was an article about an art exhibition of some type that interested me that was coming to one of the museums in a few weeks, but right now it was at an art gallery in St. Louis. My reaction to that was, "Wow, a place like St. Louis actually has an art gallery?"

LOL. I plead being young and dumb. But back to your point, no, you'd think we would have learned basics about Canada in school, but we didn't. I doubt most Americans could name all the provinces.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:54 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
It means participating in the social and political aspects of the country.

You see Indians represented in Government, BC had an Indian Premier at one point.
That is true. They are very politically savy.

Quote:
You see them socializing with other Canadians of all stripes. I see them at charity events for all sorts of causes etc.
That must be a BC thing. I don't see that much at all. They tend to stick to their own more than others. Not a criticism just an observation.

Quote:
i see them in all sorts of occupations.

I see them starting their own business etc.

They are living as Canadians, while keeping the traditions of home, which adds to our society. Heck, THE FOOD ALONE!!

Like all first and second generations immigrants tend to do.
[/quote]

All good points. Do you think they integrate better than others? How does them keeping their traditions from home benefit me or the average Canadian? thanks for your answers.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:56 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Not many of them are wearing turbans nowadays. I would have a hard time telling them apart from the other Indians.
They are friendly, hardworking and easy going, just watch Ian Hanomansing on CBC.
Most of the Indo-Canadian farm workers/owners around Metro Vancouver are from Punjab (Sikh).
Not true where I live. I see turbans everywhere. Plus that Sikh symbol.

I don't find them very easy going or freindly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada