Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2023, 09:01 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Mentally ill people harassing women on the streets isn’t exactly something new. Those are very cosmopolitan, progressive cities and the idea that changes in demographics have made neighbourhoods some socially regressive enclaves sounds like the kind of thing you get from right wing clickbait on YouTube. It’s like the supposed “no go zones” in Sweden conspiracy that seemed to pop out of nowhere because Trump referenced Sweden in a speech with no real reason, so the righties had to play catch up. It’s been thoroughly debunked, and I’m sure a woman can walk around Paris or London in a sports bra and miniskirt just as easily in Paris or London as they could in Ottawa
Can you understand any French? This report is from just a few years ago. On a reputable network in France similar to the CBC. (Not at all a French equivalent to Fox News.) Maybe things have changed since then - but in which direction have they changed, do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0rj7tIbaM

(It has nothing to do with mentally-ill people harassing women BTW.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 09:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I sold to a neighbour for a price much higher than I had anticipated. So really, I'm no longer a farmer. I have my horses and dogs.
I'm glad you have those!

Old 11-02-2023, 09:11 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
I agree with the sentiment that it isn't a bad thing that individuals retain their culture when they come to Canada. Our cuisine would be a lot more boring if not for this. Same with our festivals, the arts etc. To me, this makes Canada richer. We do however have to ensure that there is some assimilation when it comes to our values. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms etc must be engrained. However, to expect or desire that people shun their old ways and replace them with Canadian culture is an extreme. Besides, what culture are we expecting them to adhere to? The nature of our nation is that widely speaking as being a diverse one.

If individuals engage in violence at a park because of old world grievances - they should simply be dealt with in the justice system for that violence and causing a public disturbance. The law provides a good framework for adhering to our values whilst at the same time, respecting their culture. Your right to display your culture and ways ends when you break the law. That to me, should be applied to everyone.

I also think that we are seeing older and 2nd even 3rd generation individuals simply naturally assimilating. Their parents may be more 'old' ways but the children and grandchildren not as much. They may still have a bit of that old world spice to them, but that is also tempered with Canadiana. They grew up in our public schools - had diverse groups of friends including native canadians here for generations. This is a natural flow of things.

Old 11-02-2023, 10:32 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:

....... So really, I'm no longer a farmer. I have my horses and dogs.
No, no my dear. Once a farmer always a farmer, the farmer and the farmer's wisdom in us never, never, ever dies and goes away no matter where we end up or what we are doing in our "golden" retirement years. Just you wait and see.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree with the sentiment that it isn't a bad thing that individuals retain their culture when they come to Canada. Our cuisine would be a lot more boring if not for this. Same with our festivals, the arts etc. To me, this makes Canada richer. We do however have to ensure that there is some assimilation when it comes to our values. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms etc must be engrained. However, to expect or desire that people shun their old ways and replace them with Canadian culture is an extreme. Besides, what culture are we expecting them to adhere to? The nature of our nation is that widely speaking as being a diverse one.

If individuals engage in violence at a park because of old world grievances - they should simply be dealt with in the justice system for that violence and causing a public disturbance. The law provides a good framework for adhering to our values whilst at the same time, respecting their culture. Your right to display your culture and ways ends when you break the law. That to me, should be applied to everyone.

I also think that we are seeing older and 2nd even 3rd generation individuals simply naturally assimilating. Their parents may be more 'old' ways but the children and grandchildren not as much. They may still have a bit of that old world spice to them, but that is also tempered with Canadiana. They grew up in our public schools - had diverse groups of friends including native canadians here for generations. This is a natural flow of things.
The past is not necessarily the future of the present.

It's hard to predict for sure but there are certainly plenty of signs that this is a pretty different era in terms of demographic change: larger communities with critical mass in geographic zones that help retain old country ways even more, modern means of communication that allow for constant contact with old country language, culture, news, etc., the democratization of air travel that allows many kids to go "home" to the old country every summer, and a much greater openness to and encouragement of diversity in Canadian society, government and institutions.

It's not the same as Luigi who moved to Sudbury in 1953 and had almost no contact with Italy and the family left back there for the next 40 years.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:06 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Can you understand any French? This report is from just a few years ago. On a reputable network in France similar to the CBC. (Not at all a French equivalent to Fox News.) Maybe things have changed since then - but in which direction have they changed, do you think?

Yeah that video reminds me of the gay wedding cake incident from like 10 years ago. I see what you’re saying, there’s laws in place that say you can’t discriminate your customers based on their gender right? Fine these people, I say. I personally wouldn’t imagine Catholic background French women would be harassed if they walked down the street in a skimpy outfit there, but I do think they would possibly be very rude and judgemental if a woman from a Muslim background did the same thing. That’s not OK either.

We have these types of incidents from our own born and raised Canadians too though. I’m sure you’re familiar with the Black Hebrew Israelites who have videos on YouTube of them harassing interracial couples and Orthodox Jews. Or the people who protest outside abortion clinics yelling slurs at women. I don’t think less immigration from the Muslim world is how we fix these issues.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:12 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Another view on France and its Muslims

https://time.com/6049226/france-hijab-ban/

Old 11-02-2023, 12:15 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No, no my dear. Once a farmer always a farmer, the farmer and the farmer's wisdom in us never, never, ever dies and goes away no matter where we end up or what we are doing in our "golden" retirement years. Just you wait and see.

I'm still not comfortable with having sold the land, tbh. Having no children there really wasn't an option.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Another view on France and its Muslims

https://time.com/6049226/france-hijab-ban/
I'm not saying at all that France's approach to its Muslim population or even diversity in general is optimal.

Just pointing out that there are different experiences and approaches out there.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
We have these types of incidents from our own born and raised Canadians too though. I’m sure you’re familiar with the Black Hebrew Israelites who have videos on YouTube of them harassing interracial couples and Orthodox Jews. Or the people who protest outside abortion clinics yelling slurs at women. I don’t think less immigration from the Muslim world is how we fix these issues.
Sounds like you're importing a lot of American narratives into Canada here.

Never heard of the Black Hebrew Israelites in Canada. Did they just come for a visit of something? They're hardly active or visible here.

As for people screaming at women entering abortion clinics, I am sure it's happened in Canada but sounds more like a US thing too.

Here in Quebec it's actually illegal to protest within X metres of an abortion clinic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada