Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 03:05 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,562,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You've given examples of horrible things from the past.

One hopes that as we leave some of the past behind us, that's it's the bad stuff we drop and that we keep the good.

Is that what we're doing?
Too vague for me to answer. I might not agree with what you consider to be good or whether the good might come attached with baggage. Life is complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 03:35 PM

7,323 posts, read 9,372,439 times
Quote:
Legally I suppose that's true but most places expect a bit more than that if you're going to be considered a full-fledged "(Insert Country Demonym)" by everyone.

Canada's pretty unique in terms of how extremely loose it is when it comes to this stuff. Some say that's a feature as opposed to a bug.
You've said similar things im the past. I genuinely do not know what the things are that are supposedly expected of Canadians. So what are the things "most" Canadians would expect before accepting you?

Old 10-31-2023, 04:17 PM

1,285 posts, read 538,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Sure, but that’s different than replicating the past in its entirety.

I laugh when Americans wax nostalgic over the 1950s. They either hadn’t been born yet or only lived it through the eyes of a child. McCarthyism and Jim Crow laws come to mind.
It's not about replicating the past but maintaining what is good and what made it good in the first place. Ofcourse there also things we can improve like the examples you mentioned, which I don't think we saw here in Canada. I moved to Canada as a young child in the 80s. Should I discard or forget how good my life was when i moved here because I was a child?

Yes countries change, I am not sure we actually changing for the better though. Our government is hell bent on bringing in record numbers of people when we can't even house the people that are already here. How is that even fair? And no its just not poor people that are currently struggling. Even middle class people can't afford homes in certain places now.

Old 10-31-2023, 04:52 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,562,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
It's not about replicating the past but maintaining what is good and what made it good in the first place. Ofcourse there also things we can improve like the examples you mentioned, which I don't think we saw here in Canada. I moved to Canada as a young child in the 80s. Should I discard or forget how good my life was when i moved here because I was a child?

Yes countries change, I am not sure we actually changing for the better though. Our government is hell bent on bringing in record numbers of people when we can't even house the people that are already here. How is that even fair? And no its just not poor people that are currently struggling. Even middle class people can't afford homes in certain places now.
So you moved to Canada in the 1980s when the last of the baby boomers was just entering the work force. Don’t you think that a huge young and healthy baby boomer work force was the reason immigration wasn’t being pushed back then?

If there was a huge young and healthy work force now or even a high birth rate, immigration wouldn’t be pushed so much either. There isn’t though.

Politicians should have anticipated the current situation (retiring boomers, housing shortage) and acted years ago. They didn’t though as it wouldn’t have won them votes. Politicians only tend to think as far as winning the next election.

Old 10-31-2023, 05:15 PM

1,285 posts, read 538,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
So you moved to Canada in the 1980s when the last of the baby boomers was just entering the work force. Don’t you think that a huge young and healthy baby boomer work force was the reason immigration wasn’t being pushed back then?

If there was a huge young and healthy work force now or even a high birth rate, immigration wouldn’t be pushed so much either. There isn’t though.

Politicians should have anticipated the current situation (retiring boomers, housing shortage) and acted years ago. They didn’t though as it wouldn’t have won them votes. Politicians only tend to think as far as winning the next election.
I agree with you. Things are not looking good. Canada has to basically give itself away. Your comment highlights why intergration is so important.

Last edited by Luisito80; 10-31-2023 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-31-2023, 08:08 PM

100 posts, read 94,730 times
The USSR Coat of Arms wasn't a (complete) joke. It was the aspirational goal. Recall the USSR was the darling of the useful idiots the World over for 70 years up until the day it fell apart. The same idiots are trying to get to the same goal by dumbing down and gutting out native populations via uncontrolled immigration in, not too unreasonable, hope that it would be easier to create the World Government (of which they see themselves as the part) to rule over. Now, that emmer wheat in the Coat of Arms - that's a tricky part. The USSR never had enough of it's own: the capitalist blood sucking American and Canadian farmers were producing the grain to feed the kommies. How many of our new Indian brethren choose farming rather than Bramladesh?

Last edited by grotte; 10-31-2023 at 08:19 PM..

Old 11-01-2023, 07:13 AM
pdw

2,706 posts, read 3,121,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
The USSR Coat of Arms wasn't a (complete) joke. It was the aspirational goal. Recall the USSR was the darling of the useful idiots the World over for 70 years up until the day it fell apart. The same idiots are trying to get to the same goal by dumbing down and gutting out native populations via uncontrolled immigration in, not too unreasonable, hope that it would be easier to create the World Government (of which they see themselves as the part) to rule over. Now, that emmer wheat in the Coat of Arms - that's a tricky part. The USSR never had enough of it's own: the capitalist blood sucking American and Canadian farmers were producing the grain to feed the kommies. How many of our new Indian brethren choose farming rather than Bramladesh?
Will you take off with your great replacement conspiracy theories. Go to politics & other controversies you’ll fit right in over there

Old 11-01-2023, 08:39 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,167,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
You've said similar things im the past. I genuinely do not know what the things are that are supposedly expected of Canadians. So what are the things "most" Canadians would expect before accepting you?
My point is that Canada, relative to other countries, requires almost no integration whatsoever, so I don't know what exactly I could show in support of my argument. If my argument is actually that there is nothing there.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
My point is that Canada, relative to other countries, requires almost no integration whatsoever, so I don't know what exactly I could show in support of my argument. If my argument is actually that there is nothing there.
But what is this "integration" other countries require?

In Germany, as an example, students are filtered in grade school into for the next level of schooling - Gymnasium (no relation to a gymnasium) leads you on a university path. If you're not in the Gymnasium path, you have almost no hope in hell of ever making it into a university.

Native Germans are on the university track. Immigrants are on the blue collar track. https://www.justiceinitiative.org/vo...cation-germany

I'm not seeing "integration" there. My husband's German publisher visited this summer - he was a secular Mennonite from Siberia who immigrated to Germany. His hobby is taking IQ tests. He described the battle he had as he was automatically put in the blue collar stream. To make a long story short, he is shockingly smart if you believe IQ tests and he now has a Ph.D. But he had to fight discrimination every step of the way.

Where once, when the Russian wall came down, Germans opened their arms to ethnic Germans from the east, they now call them "******* Deutsche." If "******* Deutsche" are treated like that, being white and blonde, you can imagine how it goes with the Turks and other nationalties.

I am sure you want immigrants to speak French and English and I'm pretty sure you don't want to keep them out of universities. I know you object to the hijab etc. It marks people as "different." So if by "integration" you mean clothing...?

If so, I know we disagree on that. It does seem very superficial and a poor indicator of integration though.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
To your last sentence - I'm a farmer. Do you know how expensive farmland is? If you aren't born into it or if you're not coming over with a couple of million dollars, you have no hope of farming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada