Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
We made it there and back. DH took the day off to drive me. We had a lot of trouble getting home but we made it! So happy to be done with treatments.
That is so cool, I am glad you had someone to help you, I wouldn't have wanted to be on the roads the last couple of days and we didn't get hit as bad as you, I don't think. It is nice to have our hubbies around once in awhile huh, even if they can be pains from time to time??

Charley, congrats, of all the tests and proceedures we have, that has to be the worst. I am trying to decide what to do: we have had several friends who have had doctors say, after 70 or 75 there is no reason to have one, but out doctor (overly causcious I will add) says this isn't true. I am trying to decide, do I listen to her and have a repeat (it has been about 5 years and she wants me to have one) or do I listen to what others are saying? Decisions, decisions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Great news Charley!!! Ugh that prep is something special, isn't it!
Thanks. Actually, the prep was not bad. It tastes awful, a lot like Robitussin ... but was very gentle and did not cause any distress at all. Used it once at 6PM last night after a clear liquid day, and again at 3AM this morning. It's certainly an improvement over the prep from ten years ago!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Actually, the prep was not bad.
You're lucky. (To me, the prep was worse than the procedure itself.) Glad it all went well!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're lucky. (To me, the prep was worse than the procedure itself.) Glad it all went well!
Thanks so much. I think this is something new. It's called Suprep and it really wasn't anywhere near what I remember the last time.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:34 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
The idea of the colonoscopy has never freaked me out - it's all about the prep. I'm glad that's behind you, Charley. Literally! :P

5 apartment showings today! My landlord is requesting a $30 background check fee this time. :P We're most excited for the first guy. He's a lawyer (stable income, passed a character check to be accepted to the bar in 3 states) who has no problem doing a background and credit check. If he's down, I'm hoping to just give him the room straight away. Wish me luck! My other (male) roommate will be around too so it's all going to be very safe.

In preparation, I'm up at 6AM to head to this magical bagel place that sells out by 10AM and the line is out the door by 7:30. Bagels make every stressful situation better! And I gifted myself with new fish for the fishtank which I hadn't done in a long time since buckling down with my finances to pay off the debt. The fish tank is much prettier now and is one of my more relaxing hobbies.

Hope everyone else has a fun, productive/lazy weekend!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
5 apartment showings today! My landlord is requesting a $30 background check fee this time. :P We're most excited for the first guy. He's a lawyer (stable income, passed a character check to be accepted to the bar in 3 states) who has no problem doing a background and credit check. If he's down, I'm hoping to just give him the room straight away. Wish me luck! My other (male) roommate will be around too so it's all going to be very safe.
Good luck. This sounds like a great match! I hope it works out.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
nmnita - this is just my opinion, but I think saying that a test like a colonoscopy is or is not appropriate solely based on age is silly. I know people in their 90s who are quite healthy and live full lives, and I know people in their 60s who have a multitude of health issues and the prep and testing alone would be a lot for them to handle, much less any treatment if a major problem were found. I would suggest that if you are in your 70s and have reasonable health and quality of life, get the test done. But if you are typing this from bed because you have too many physical ailments to even get out of bed very much, then you can probably pass on the colonoscopy.

good luck charo! Let us know how things turn out.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Sent out a "will you please be my roommate" email this morning to someone we saw yesterday. There were at least 2 other acceptable people from yesterday and a few other interested people. Fingers crossed he'll accept!

In the meantime, off topic, but has anyone else been on prozac? I felt good for about a week (probably placebo) and now feel a near constant state of anxiety. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to see if that's normal - plus I'm obviously in abnormally stressful situations - but I dislike the amount of klonipin I've been needing to take to not feel "safe" (if you deal with anxiety - you know what I mean!). I'm finally at the point where I'm reaching out to people who I was angry with for their lack of interest during chemo though... progress!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
... has anyone else been on prozac? I felt good for about a week (probably placebo) and now feel a near constant state of anxiety.
I was told several years ago when I tried it that SSRIs (e.g. Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa) can make many people feel jumpy and anxious. SSRIs take something like 6 weeks to reach their full effect. I couldn't tolerate it but I know of others for whom it's been beneficial.

Quote:
I'm finally at the point where I'm reaching out to people who I was angry with for their lack of interest during chemo though... progress!
That IS progress!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
nmnita - this is just my opinion, but I think saying that a test like a colonoscopy is or is not appropriate solely based on age is silly. I know people in their 90s who are quite healthy and live full lives, and I know people in their 60s who have a multitude of health issues and the prep and testing alone would be a lot for them to handle, much less any treatment if a major problem were found. I would suggest that if you are in your 70s and have reasonable health and quality of life, get the test done. But if you are typing this from bed because you have too many physical ailments to even get out of bed very much, then you can probably pass on the colonoscopy.

good luck charo! Let us know how things turn out.
oh, a do pretty much agree but I think what some doctors are saying is: does the end justify the means? There comes a time, at least in some people's thinking when certain tests, do to cost,etc just do not make sense. Again, not every doctor will agree about this. Our orthopedist and I were having a conversation about this last week. He was saying a lot of proceedures have to start being limited, based on age, due to expense. This is not the Death panel being talked about a few years ago nor does it reflect directly on Obamacare, but on when something no longer really serves a purpose. BTW I am not talking about myself particularly and yes, I play bridge with people in their mid 80s to mid 90s that are sharp and active. I was just throwing out something some medical professionals are starting to say. if is like the pap smear, when is it time to re-consider or when does the doctor reccomend radiation and hormones for a prostate cancer patient versus surgery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer