Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I've been reading through this thread looking for info. A close family member was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer which had spread throughout her bones last February. She had started to have pain in her hip in May of 08 and had gone in several times without it being diagnosed. She has been on a modified chemo and doing quite well until recently when she fell. Amazingly, she has not been experiencing much pain. Now the doctor has said that it has spread even more and is talking about aspirating her lungs and wants to put her on another type of chemo. It is her decision, of course, but after reading some of this stuff I am wondering if that is a good idea given that she has tolerated the other chemo so well. What is her prognosis at this point? The doctor just says she has done much better than he expected. We live quite far and it is very expensive to travel to where she lives so we probably can only afford one more trip to see her. We don't want to leave it too long but were out recently so don't want to go too soon either. Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to know when the end is close?
First, let me welcome you to the cancer section and also say how sorry I am.

Can you give a little more info? I'm not sure if her lung cancer was ever in remission or not?

What I've seen by reading is usually not good with stage IV lung cancer.

Can you say where she's located?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
Thanks. No she has never been in remission. She lives on the west coast of the U.S. The scan showed the cancer had spread from her lungs to the bones in virtually every part of her body. She does have a cough and gets tired a lot now but until very recently was driving to her own appointments, etc. I am wondering what people's experiences are with aspirating the lungs and also what we can expect. Of course, we are still hoping for a miracle but I know from another family member who died of cancer that it is wise to be realistic as well.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks. No she has never been in remission. She lives on the west coast of the U.S. The scan showed the cancer had spread from her lungs to the bones in virtually every part of her body. She does have a cough and gets tired a lot now but until very recently was driving to her own appointments, etc. I am wondering what people's experiences are with aspirating the lungs and also what we can expect. Of course, we are still hoping for a miracle but I know from another family member who died of cancer that it is wise to be realistic as well.
If she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in 2008 (I'm not clear on when it was diagnosed), from what I've read, she might be surviving longer then most.

Mod cut: copyright violation

You might have a look at my tips post. There are new things. I don't know if she's done targeted chemotherapy and if it's available to her. I haven't done a lot of reading about it.

Has the doctor given her any idea of a prognosis, meaning how much time she has?

Now, I'm not sure if I linked to the right cancer. Do you know if its correct?

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-21-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 08-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Yes, its correct. The doctor had not given a time limit but at the last visit told her she had lived longer than he had expected. The symptoms (pain in her hip) started in May of 08 but it was not diagnosed until Febr of 09.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, its correct. The doctor had not given a time limit but at the last visit told her she had lived longer than he had expected. The symptoms (pain in her hip) started in May of 08 but it was not diagnosed until Febr of 09.
Are her affairs in order?
Does someone know her wishes?

In my tips post, the 1st post I made, scroll to the bottom and look at aging with dignity, 5 wishes. She needs a copy of that.

After that, you see what you can learn; maybe there is a clinical trial she'd be eligible for.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:46 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Was she diagnosed with Stage 4 right off the bat? Was there ever a stage 2 or 3?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 PM

Yes, she was diagnosed with stage 4 right off the bat. Her affairs are in order, she has a will, medical and financial power of attorney and a living will.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Hmm, well there is a very cheap experimental drug called DCA she could try. Some woman last year had stage 4 cancer. Took it, had a few sessions of chemo and is now cancer free over a year later. Your mother probably has nothing to lose at this point.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
is talking about aspirating her lungs and wants to put her on another type of chemo.
When you say this, you mean they want to take the fluid out with a needle?
If this is what you are talking about, it's supposed to be a very painful procedure.

My dad's Dr discussed this with me, he said he did not want to do that because of how painful it was.

Have they given her medication to get the fluid out?
You need to make sure she knows to sit up.
Laying down is the worst.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the info. When you say she needs to sit up do you mean during the procedure or after?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer