Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Yes, she's doing things she's always wanted to do & doesn't have to answer to anyone.

I was very lucky to have such a caring dad but when I lost him, the glue of our family fell apart. Now I'm pretty much alone.

I always say that we can pick our friends but we can;t pick our family. You can look at it as though she's lucky that you are still there and caring for her even after what she's put/putting you through. Your time will come and all of this will make you a better/stronger person.

lol, hopefully the lady next to her won't have a time where she's with it and knows what's going on.

You can only do so much. The people taking care of her chose this field and I doubt she is the 1st one like this. They're probably used to it. Just remember to give them thank you cards every now & then so that they remember you appreciate all that they do. You might also think to go to the supermarket & buy them a bouquet. Walmart has cute inexpensive vases

Let us know how you make out.

I knw what you mean. There were days during dad's illness where I needed to hear someone else's problems just to get away from my own. While I would love to vent, right now I can't due to a court case. Since I've posted this before the attorneys got involved, it doesn;t matter if I post it here.

I think saying that at one time, when we found out dad's cancer returned, I was going to be tested as a stem cell donor. This was one of the only dr appointment my mother went to. I took her shopping while they tested his blood / gave him a transfusion. Something didn't feel right to me so I said to her, "They will be able to use me as a donor as long as I'm his kid" she replied, I don't know. I repeated it again, maybe like 3 times, same answer. I didn't understand but was very bothered by it. The next time dad & I were alone we talked and he told me that he knew about it or something to that effect. He said it would never change his feelings towards me & my kids that I was his daughter no matter what.

They tested me, I voiced my concerns, they said that yes, genetically I was a match but they wouldn't use me due to my sugar being over 400 plus my pain meds for my back problem. Of course this story got twisted too. Anyway, my dad loved me a lot & in the end it showed, must have been hard for them to swallow. We decided to get a DNA test. Thanks to Maury, it took almost a month to get them to come out to take the DNA since he wasn't well enough to be driven to a site. I finally got an appointment for a Tuesday. Dad started going downhill on a Friday. By Saturday hospice was called & we found out his body was shutting down.

Monday morning I once again (called Sat & Sun) called the DNA Diagnostics place begging him to send someone out. I'd gone to my pain management appointment in the morning and by the afternoon, knew DNA Diagnostics was coming out at 7:30 that night. I told dad, one of the last things he said to me was "that's great". It still makes me cry just thinking about it... he started slipping away after that as he knew he could. A little while later he couldn't speak, tried to tell me he loved me. I had him blink to see if he was in pain / ask questions.

7:30 came. Dad was with it enough to know the lady was there. His mouth was so dry & he was so weak. He let me swab his cheek with a wet lollypop sponge like thing, they then did the swab. My dad started slipping away quickly after that. He was at peace knowing he'd given his DNA to prove without a doubt I was his daughter and passed at 10pm, 2 hours after the lady left.

The next morning I was pretty upset, my nose started bleeding. I never get nose bleeds & don't think I've ever had one in my life. That day I had a total of 3 & I swear it was my dad telling me he knew the results and was with me. Even my mother said it.

I've never shared the results with any of them. My younger sister at one time emailed my son (who was like my dad's son) and told him about it with some nasty dialog. My son did not know about this, shame on her for even saying it to him.

Haven't really spoken to my mother since the viewing arrangements. She's never shared her affair with the Russian builder she cheated on my dad with and the few times I did see her, she tried to make me feel bad, never once apologized for doing this to me. Can you imagine if the builder ever knocked on my door saying he was my father?

The fricked up thing is.. my mother acts like it was her in question about whther I was her kid even though she gave birth to me.

After dad died someone sent me a sympathy card saying sorry your step father died or something to that effect. It was really heartless.

I had back surgery a few months after he died. Even though my mother lived 7 blocks she never once stopped or called to see how I was doing. Nice huh? Instead she used that time to put the house up for sale behind my back then would not accept our offer to buy it There were days I begged her, crying my eyes out, always making me feel like I did something wrong and throwing things back on me.

There's a lot more but that's the most I can say so see, things could be worst. It could be the one person you love the most dying of cancer and you have this cr@p to deal with on top of it. One thing that still gets me through it is I know my dad is still here with me. He's not ready to leave until this is done. I will do what I have to to make sure his wishes are carried out.

Just think of it this way. If everything was perfect then there would be no really good country western songs. One day I plan on writing one hell of a song. Sounds like you got one in you too. Maybe later we can start a new thread and all work on our songs.

Mom is still in the nursing home. For now. Everyday its more of the same. Whine ***** complain demand pout. Im handling it better since I quit trying to fix everything. I listen and if its important Im on it. Otherwise I ignore it. Its my nature to fix things. I have always been the one who fixed things and took care of things ever since I can remember.

Tomorrow we go to the cancer Dr for an update. Its hard to believe the cancer is so advanced when I dont see any symptoms. This will sound callous but I hope the cancer holds off its bad effects till the end and then she goes fast. Mom doesnt suffer well.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Just think of it this way. If everything was perfect then there would be no really good country western songs. One day I plan on writing one hell of a song. Sounds like you got one in you too. Maybe later we can start a new thread and all work on our songs.

Mom is still in the nursing home. For now. Everyday its more of the same. Whine ***** complain demand pout. Im handling it better since I quit trying to fix everything. I listen and if its important Im on it. Otherwise I ignore it. Its my nature to fix things. I have always been the one who fixed things and took care of things ever since I can remember.

Tomorrow we go to the cancer Dr for an update. Its hard to believe the cancer is so advanced when I dont see any symptoms. This will sound callous but I hope the cancer holds off its bad effects till the end and then she goes fast. Mom doesnt suffer well.

I have been thinking of you and am glad to hear that you are holding up ok. I hope your mom's symptoms are minor until the very end. My Dad lived only 3 months after his diagnosis and he did pretty will until the last week. But he was only in a lot of pain for a couple of days and then fell into a coma and had to be in the hospital. He died there just a few days later. As much as I hated for him to die, I was so thankful that he did not have to suffer much.

We don't get to chose our family and sometimes they are hard to put up with, but in the end you'll feel good having done all you could for your Mom. She is very lucky to have you!
Hang in there!!!
Hugs
Katz

Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,712 times
Quote:
How is your Dad doing. Better I hope. So far Mom hasnt had any bad side effects from her chemo. Just really tired after a treatment. But that could just be because any activity tires her out .
My dad has ten days of radiation and chemo left. He has lost 50+ pounds which is disturbing but he did need to lose a few anyway, it's probably because he can't drink beer anymore, lol.

He has turned from thinking he will die anyday to actually going and buying a new lab puppy! Talk about optimism! He also had a meeting with his staff last week and told them to stop plotting his takeover (he's a politician) because he's not going anywhere and will infact run for re-election next year. Who could ask for more?

I'm so glad your mother is not having the horrid chemo side effects. It must be mentally and physically draining to battle cancer. Has she had any tests recently to see if they cancer is receeding?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
Stay strong Cecilia,I know it's a rough time my mother died from lung cancer in 1993 at the age of 50,she had the chemo and it made her so sick and weak.That of course was 15 years ago and I'm sure they have had many advancements. But I would recommend Hospice not only were they helpful with helping my mom cope but they also helped me mentally deal with all the stages of this horrible disease.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
My grandmother is going through a similar situation with her husband right now. He's 82 and about two years ago he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and went through chemo. The chemo was tough for him to go through, but it seemed to get rid of the cancer in his esophagus, although it damaged his thyroid. Well, about six weeks ago my grandmother took him to the ER because he had severe jaundice and was having trouble using the bathroom. It turns out now he has a mass in his liver which is constricting his bowel ducts. He's already very tired physically and mentally from the first round of chemo and we just don't think he can handle it again. The doctors have not explained to him yet how serious it is, and my grandmother will have to very soon. I'm pretty sure he will choose to not go through with the chemo again. I know what the OP is dealing with, it's very hard to watch a loved one go through this.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 PM

170 posts, read 581,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbyrd View Post
I have had experience with bladder cancer and would suggest liquid Zeolite as an addition to traditional treatment. I have been cancer free for 6 years
What exactly is this zeolite?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Not ignoring anybody. No time to catch up right now. Thanks for all your posts and cookies. Ill try to check in later.

Things are getting worse for Mom. Friday I signed her up for Hospice. Last week she seemed to be making progress. Then she started her second round of chemo and went downhill overnight. The doctor said the chemo isnt helping. So I stopped it Friday.

This last week has been "interesting". My cracked tooth broke and after trying to get in all week I finally managed to have oral surgery on Thursday. Everytime I would make an appointment there would be a crisis at the nursing home or at the cancer center. Finally on Thursday I said Im sorry but I have to get my tooth fixed.

The Huz still has his leg. The staph infection seems to be getting better.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:47 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,605 times
I'm sorry to hear that...

Quote:
Not ignoring anybody. No time to catch up right now. Thanks for all your posts and cookies. Ill try to check in later.

Things are getting worse for Mom. Friday I signed her up for Hospice. Last week she seemed to be making progress. Then she started her second round of chemo and went downhill overnight. The doctor said the chemo isnt helping. So I stopped it Friday.

This last week has been "interesting". My cracked tooth broke and after trying to get in all week I finally managed to have oral surgery on Thursday. Everytime I would make an appointment there would be a crisis at the nursing home or at the cancer center. Finally on Thursday I said Im sorry but I have to get my tooth fixed.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:

Have you asked the doctor if there is a new prognosis? What I found was I had to keep up on this or they wouldn't freely share.

Chemo, depending on what she's getting, can really throw her for a loop. It was the roughest month of my dad's life. There were days we thought he wouldn't recover but he did.

There were also times after he was done that he had some scary stuff go on. The last time was New Years day, he was supposed to go for a transfusion and ended up with a fever & being admitted. Since he was going to get stem cells in another week, they decided to just keep him there & try to get him healthy. He wouldn't get out of bed, wouldn't sit up. The doctor told me to spend as much time as possible because I was the only one that could get him to listen. He was too wiped out and ended up with fluid on his lungs, next thing we knew his heart was at 35%. It was down-hill from there, he had a night (of course one of the 3 or 4 times I missed out of his 2 months stays) where they had to perform life saving measures. He made it home, only to be gone in a few weeks.

Hang in there. It's the biggest roller coaster ride you will ever take in your life. One minute things are great, next they aren't.

As for your tooth, you have to take care of yourself too. The days I missed with my dad (he was over an hour away) was due to something medical with me. The morning he passed I had my pain management appointment, the doctor gets booked quick, so I could not cancel. While I missed 5 hours (he was home) my hubby got to spend the day with him as did my son, so he was not alone.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Just wanted to let you know I continue to keep you in my thoughts . . . Please do the things to take care of yourself . . . the strain is so hard on one's own health.

Sending lots of white light . . . and hopes that you rest well and stay healthy while you are taking care of everyone else's needs . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer