Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times

Advertisements

How can you get free samples of food? I don`t want to buy a big bag and not have my cat eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
I get my cat food from a holistic pet food store. She is very knowledgeable and does tons of research on food. She says that 'most' health issues in pets can be prevented by good quality food. {Please read most}
While she also recommended canned or raw...she said that if dry fits in your lifestyle better then Orijen is the best.
That store had small bags that you could purchase for lower money to try out. Actually...she gave me a free handful or so. But I doubt you live in Charlotte, so that won't work for you!!

Good luck!

Last edited by jayhawks91; 01-04-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: delete word

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
How can you get free samples of food? I don`t want to buy a big bag and not have my cat eat it.
Check out the manufacturers' web sites. That's how our cats got hooked on Blue Buffalo, from a sample.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Only grain free. Was Evo for a while, but I'm loathe to feed something that has since been bought by Procter and Gamble. I went through a bag or most of one, of Instinct, but it was clear she didn't really like it as much. Then I bought small bags of Orijen and Wellness Core. And since then I've been feeding a mix. But, I've also been working in more cans, and more than half the diet is canned right now. Granted, it's tuna and salmon. Heh. Can't win really. The Orijen and Welness Core seem to be tasty and appealing. But with most kibble, my cat hasn't been particularly fussy over the years. BTW, I was able to buy a really small bag of Orijen for $3 at one place. There's a small bag of Core as well, but there's more in it and it costs more. Core is by far the most expensive that I know of.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
I was checking out Chicken Soup for the cat lovers soul. Anyone know about this brand?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Holistic Select Anchovy, Sardine, and Salmon formula plus Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys. This is the only combination that keeps my unipuker from, well, puking constantly.

Tippy Toes would eat anything I put in front of her, and has been known to break into the cabinet to steal crackers.

Mickey will not eat other types of canned food, other than to lick the gravy. She likes the texture of the Elegant Medleys.

Buzz will also eat pretty much anything, but eating it and keeping it down are 2 entirely different things. He also has IBD and on this combination he does not have projectile diarrhea.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Quote:
If the pet store does not have samples you can go to the food company website and e-mail them. I have asked for samples a few times and they have always sent me 2-3 sample sized bags.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
For those of you who feed your cat dry food, what is the brand and does your cat like it?
My cats get mostly raw meat and canned food. They get dry kibble only as a treat. A midnight snack. The only dry foods they like are the cheaper ones although I do buy the better brands for them, but they waste a lot of it. Purina is their favorite. They don't waste one speck of it. Go figure!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
My cats seem to be pretty happy with Purina One but they'd eat other dry cat food, too. However, the lower quality dry cat foods might be similar to feeding them cat twinkies.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Quote:
I was checking out Chicken Soup for the cat lovers soul. Anyone know about this brand?
The only food from them that is fairly good is their puppy food. All other foods are lacking in their line. Most of your foods at the big box stores will not have samples. Go to a Specialty Store - you can find listings as the Champion Foods - home of Orijen and Acana website. I know a lot of people are too scared to do this for fear that they will push you into paying a ton of money. It has been quite the opposite experience and I love the staff at our local store. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats