Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
How can you get free samples of food? I don`t want to buy a big bag and not have my cat eat it.
Check the "freebie forum" which is a sub forum of the Shopping forum in C-D.

I get cat food and dog food as samples on a regular basis from the links that are in posted in that forum. I also get a lot of acid reducers for me, too. LOL

I feed my cats Blue Buffalo and Halo dry food along with Wellness Core wet food. My vet told me that dry food is fine as long as it is high protein and gluten-free with no animal by-products and it also helps to keep their teeth clean. I have a diabetic cat and give her wet but she really likes the Buffalo dry so she drinks a lot of water.

I lost a kitty to that Purina poison-in-the-food and I am extremely careful about what I feed my girls. The diabetic cat almost died from the same thing. We were able to save her but it cost me $4,000.00. So I really don't care what the food costs as long as it is healthy food for Annie, Tammy and Stella the Diva Cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
My vet told me that dry food is fine as long as it is high protein and gluten-free with no animal by-products and it also helps to keep their teeth clean.
This is actually a fallacy. Cats don't have chewing teeth for one thing. Most cats swallow kibble whole, or at the most one "crunch". And kibble cleaning teeth would be like you cleaning your teeth by eating a crouton.

In addition when a cat does crunch a kibble, it breaks into crumbs and the crumbs are more likely to stick to teeth and get under the gum line, as opposed to wet food which will just wash away with saliva.

The best way to keep a cat's teeth healthy is to feed a high quality canned food diet and brush their teeth every day with c.e.t. toothpaste. C.e.t. is an enzymatic paste, which means it breaks down bacteria. Most of the pastes you see in pet stores are useless, you need to use an enzymatic paste, and that is c.e.t.

Just getting the c.e.t. paste into the cat's mouth is beneficial, but of course contact with tooth and gum is better.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
This is actually a fallacy. Cats don't have chewing teeth for one thing. Most cats swallow kibble whole, or at the most one "crunch". And kibble cleaning teeth would be like you cleaning your teeth by eating a crouton.

In addition when a cat does crunch a kibble, it breaks into crumbs and the crumbs are more likely to stick to teeth and get under the gum line, as opposed to wet food which will just wash away with saliva.

The best way to keep a cat's teeth healthy is to feed a high quality canned food diet and brush their teeth every day with c.e.t. toothpaste. C.e.t. is an enzymatic paste, which means it breaks down bacteria. Most of the pastes you see in pet stores are useless, you need to use an enzymatic paste, and that is c.e.t.

Just getting the c.e.t. paste into the cat's mouth is beneficial, but of course contact with tooth and gum is better.
Ours chew theirs and the food is high quality made with real chicken and other good maintenance and immunity ingredients.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Ours chew theirs and the food is high quality made with real chicken and other good maintenance and immunity ingredients.
Cats don't have chewing teeth. The way their jaws are made, they can't chew. They can crunch a kibble, but they do not chew like humans do.

Regardless of quality or ingredients, dry cat food does not clean a cat's teeth.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 PM

305 posts, read 655,281 times
I feed wet in the morning and kibble in the evening. I rotate brands, he likes them all. Costco brand with chicken is the staple and it's rotated with other brands.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
My 5 cats are thriving on Taste of the Wild. It is true their teeth are designed for tearing and puncturing, but cats do chew their food too.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:08 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Chicken is good, but protein doesn't bake into those nice crunchy puffs. There has to be a carbohydrate base.

When my cats ate dry food, they liked everything I offered - except 9-Lives.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Royal Canin, Protein Performance. He does not like wet food, and just licks the gravy off of it...He also likes Party Mix cat treats.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Pure Vita from NutriSource is the one I'm giving her these days, mixed with some low-end pseudo "gourmet" stuff from the supermarket that actually has meat as the first ingredient. The Pure Vita is grain-free, the supermarket stuff is not. She gets mostly the Pure Vita, with just a healthy sprinkle of the supermarket stuff for flavor, because she really likes it. But I don't give her much of it, because she likes it SO much that she overeats, then drinks water, it expands in her stomach, and she pukes it up. Gotta love undigested, waterlogged puked cat food, heh.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Gotta love undigested, waterlogged puked cat food, heh.
Especially when you step in it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats