Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times

Advertisements

Why is the protein content so high with the natural dry food? That just seems way to high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
That's what water is for ,naturally they drink more water.....just as we do..
People would save an eternity of time and confusion deciding on food (and medical procedures) if only they'd hit a library/Encyclopedia and brush up on Elementary Cat 101. (I remember learning about this stuff in grade school, so can't believe it's even being debated in this day and age whenever it's brought up)

Cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kindey/renal failure, vomiting, etc. is certainly no fun for a cat to go through.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:46 AM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Why is the protein content so high with the natural dry food? That just seems way to high.
Cats need protein derived from meat. It's the carbs which harm-kill them. As suggested, reading up on cats themselves will clear up many modern myths perpetrated by modern people only out for $$$.
Once you have the facts, it's much easier to make a sound food choice for yourself using good ol' common sense

Last edited by Pamina333; 01-10-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Default Those of you who feed your cat dry food...

Mine get Blue Buffalo and Natural Balance dry, along with daily canned food. They like both and are very healthy critters.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM

322 posts, read 937,209 times
In the morning I give my cats a half-can each of Friskies shredded or prime filet Beef or Chicken in gravy. In the evening, I give them each a quarter-can more.
I used to get a variety of flavors but when one of them developed a regular cough, my vet suggested I stop feeding them seafood flavors or canned tuna because some cats may actually have an allergy towards seafood. It actually worked, but once in a while I'll let them lick up tuna water when I'm preparing tuna fish.
I also leave a medium sized bowl of Purina One Indoor Advantage formula for them to snack on throughout the day because I never know what time I am getting home.
I know there is speculation over which is better: dry or wet food. This is why I give both: the wet provides protein and water (and I think for cats it tastes better) while the dry keeps their teeth clean and aids digestion.
FYI, I don't leave the wet food in the can for them to eat. That was just for size estimation. I put their food in small food dishes for them to enjoy.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
while the dry keeps their teeth clean and aids digestion.
Dry kibble does not keep a cat's teeth healthy... that is a myth that the Pet Food Industry has been using for a looooong time. Dry kibble actually sticks to a cat's teeth.

Since cats don't chew their food, there is no digestive "help" in dry kibble either. Next time your cat barfs up food, check it out ... it will contain non-chewed chunks.

My Cat Is Doing Just "Fine" On Dry Food

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Dry kibble does not keep a cat's teeth healthy... that is a myth that the Pet Food Industry has been using for a looooong time. Dry kibble actually sticks to a cat's teeth.

Since cats don't chew their food, there is no digestive "help" in dry kibble either. Next time your cat barfs up food, check it out ... it will contain non-chewed chunks.

My Cat Is Doing Just "Fine" On Dry Food

^^Yes, that

Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
All cats should have some type of fountain type of water dish. This encourages them to drink (they love running water) and stay hydrated regardless of what food you feed. Canned or Raw is best, but not as convenient for some households so at least splurge and get a fountain. It is very beneficial for them.

Like this:

Amazon.com: Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain: Kitchen & Dining

Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
The protein content is given based on the dry content. It's misleading just to look at the protein percent on the label. You have to compare that to the dry content (100% minus moisture %).

To figure the protein for canned food:
Find the % that is moisture. The rest is the dry content. If it's 80% moisture, then the dry is 20%.
If the protein is listed as 11%, the protein content is 11 percent out of 20 percent. Eleven out of 20 is 55%. (This is Friskies canned prime filets, chicken and tuna dinner.)

Dry food example: An expensive dry cat food, Blue Buffalo (Blue Buffalo - All Natural Indoor Adult Cat Food), is 10% moisture, so 90% dry. Protein is listed as 32%. That's 32 out of 90, or about 35.6%.

So the canned Friskies is 55% protein; the dry Blue is 35.6% protein.

I don't know which dry food you're thinking of, but that's how to figure it.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
All cats should have some type of fountain type of water dish. This encourages them to drink (they love running water) and stay hydrated regardless of what food you feed. Canned or Raw is best, but not as convenient for some households so at least splurge and get a fountain. It is very beneficial for them.

Like this:

Amazon.com: Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain: Kitchen & Dining
This is an excellent idea! My cats LOVE drinking from the sink, and I get after my husband for turning the water on for them. Our water bill is high enough! This might just solve my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats