Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Update: The two posts above were from December 15 and 16 of last year. Today, Allie is doing amazingly well. Eventually, both of the vets I see came to the conclusion that she didn't have cancer after all, but probably IBD (or IBS -- I don't know the difference). They cautioned me, though, not to be overly optimistic, since IBD can also be very serious and debilitating. It's been a year now, and honestly, you'd never know Allie was sick. I do take her in for a Depo-medrol shot and a Vitiman B12 shot every five weeks and I put a transdermal gel on the skin just inside the tip of her ear (it's an appetite stimulant) every 2 to 3 days. She was down to just over 7 pounds when she was diagnosed last year and she now weighs about 10.5 pounds. She's happy and active, and for the first time ever, has started actually playing with our year-and-a-half old cat (whom she previously just barely tolerated). I was hoping so much she'd at least make it through last winter and be able to enjoy our backyard for a while once the weather got good. Instead, she made it all the way through summer and fall, and at this point, I'm no longer worried about her 24/7. I'm just enjoying her and am so grateful that she's improved so greatly!

I'm not sure if this is recent, but I hope Allie is still doing well. I have a vet who is near who will be straight with you, that there is a treatment but it won't last forever, and leave it to you. My last dog got a few more years because he gave us something for pain and a few other things, and we used them until they quit. But we had him almost a year before it wasn't and sadly we had to let him go. Some vets would just see a pet who is easier to just replace.

Cherish all the time you get, be it a few months or a few years, and love her enough to let her go when it really is time. And if the vet seems to be in a hurry, and assumes you aren't prepared to do special care, go find one who will.

The vet I like most here has a ranch. He has a few acres with just grass and flowers and when the pets of his clients do pass on, they can be buried there along with other loved pets. He's also very honest about the options, and not just because he might make a bit more on a few more visits. Many of the locals with small ranches use him as their vet too.

Finding a good vet is as important as finding that really good food which makes your four legged child full of energy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:56 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Great turn around. Very glad to read your recent post.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:02 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Whew! I wasn’t going to look ... have had a bad day. Week, month ... but I couldn’t help it. So glad it’s good news!

Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 AM

457 posts, read 497,511 times
Aw that’s awesome news!! So happy for you both.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:46 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Thank you all! I am so happy that Allie's doing so well. A year ago I would have figured that best-case scenario would have been six months. Now it's been a year and she couldn't be healthier.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:40 AM

2,575 posts, read 1,644,568 times
That is wonderful news, congrats!! Re. the b12 shots, we've had two who needed them every few weeks and the vet just let us buy bulk prefilled syringes and administer the shots at home after demonstrating how to inject in scruff of neck. Easy to do if you are up for it, and less traumatic for the kitty than having to be driven to the vet frequently.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Thank you all! I am so happy that Allie's doing so well. A year ago I would have figured that best-case scenario would have been six months. Now it's been a year and she couldn't be healthier.
Wonderful ! sending Christmas hugs and blessings.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:04 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
Great news. I posted something similar that Electra is dying about a month ago. Today, she is more of herself and is gaining weight. I hope she will be around for the next year like Allie. They do amaze us, don't they?

Cat

Old 12-20-2018, 04:02 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Great news. I posted something similar that Electra is dying about a month ago. Today, she is more of herself and is gaining weight. I hope she will be around for the next year like Allie. They do amaze us, don't they?
I hope so much that happens! I guess cats aren't said to have nine lives for nothing. There must be something to that.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:59 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
Quote:
I hope so much that happens! I guess cats aren't said to have nine lives for nothing. There must be something to that.
Good news from two of my favorite CD people! I am happy for both of you.

Just brought my Blackjack in this morning for a teeth cleaning, and the vet called, concerned because he has lost three pounds since early November. He had blood tests in September and then X-rays in November and then an echocardiogram because the X-rays showed a possible heart issue, but the echocardiogram ruled out heart disease. He does have a slight murmur.

She is going to re-do the blood tests because it sounds like hyperthyroidism, and now that I think of it, he's been running around more lately, which is a sign. I had another cat with hyperthyroid. It just seems odd that the thyroid levels were OK in September. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats