Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:38 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times

Advertisements

No. In fact, the idea of crying or getting more than mildly upset about someone who is a total stranger to me I frankly find quite bizarre, just like I have with any such extreme interest/obsession/idolizing/hero worship/ad nauseum with celebs. Extremely bizarre, even scary, regardless of who it is about (ie my feelings in that way have nothing to do with the celeb themselves).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I think the only person "bigger" than Michael or more well known throughout the world is President Obama.
and Boy George.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,472,261 times
Steve Erwin

Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
and Boy George.
You Culture Club/Boy George fans from the U.K. have always loved your heroes. Surprised you didnt say McCartney but you probably roll with another "crowd".

Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,983 times
I cried over John Ritter, Michael Jackson , and Peter Jennings (I know, I'm weird, he's a newscaster).

Personally, I don't really see the point of people who come on here and belittle others for having sentiments for celebs who have touched our lives. If you can't relate to it then fine... but don't sh*t on people to make yourself feel better. It's not cool.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Steve Erwin
Oh yeah... I forgot about bawling over Steve...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
No. In fact, the idea of crying or getting more than mildly upset about someone who is a total stranger to me I frankly find quite bizarre, just like I have with any such extreme interest/obsession/idolizing/hero worship/ad nauseum with celebs. Extremely bizarre, even scary, regardless of who it is about (ie my feelings in that way have nothing to do with the celeb themselves).

Speaking for myself. It is more a selfish sadness. It's not just that I thought I knew their character. As in the case with Heath Ledger. He seemed really kind and down to earth and humble. In todays day and age with celebrities that's kind of rare. But also what I mean by selfish is that I was really looking forward to seeing that young mans career blossom. I really enjoyed his acting and movies and would have loved to be able to see more of him. The same type of selfishness with Michael. I must admit I was more sad from Heath, because I thought he had a lot of great movies ahead of him. As for Michael, I was indeed shocked and sad but it was probably to a lesser degree to Heath because Heath was so young and had a brighter future. Michael was getting older and was never going to top what he has already did. I do feel for his children and family and I think both are in peace now.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:59 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
I don't think Heath Ledger ever got over Jake Gyllenhaal's tragic death in Brokeback Mountain.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I cried over John Ritter, Michael Jackson , and Peter Jennings (I know, I'm weird, he's a newscaster).

Personally, I don't really see the point of people who come on here and belittle others for having sentiments for celebs who have touched our lives. If you can't relate to it then fine... but don't sh*t on people to make yourself feel better. It's not cool.
Exactly, and I guess empathy is a ridiculous thing to have, too!

As for OP's question, yes indeedy! And I'm counting even a single tear in the eye, too.

Here's my list in no order:

Michael Landon
John Denver
Princess Diana
Jimmy Stewart
Dan Fogelberg
Bob Denver (Gilligan)
George Harrison
Bob Hope
John and June Cash
Roy Rogers

Well, this list is getting too long and depressing. Plenty, that is my final answer

Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
I personally don't find anything bizarre about feeling for a person you didn't know. I think for people who cannot understand this, they do not have the emotional capacity to strongly connect with something on that level.

What people don't always realize is that music and entertainment can be very personal. When we watch a movie or listen to an album, we are inviting these artists into our lives, homes and hearts and that is a very real connection. MJ was a part of my life since I was about 3-4 years old and there is a history there that goes beyond friends I have in real life. His music was there through decades of my life and that is heartfelt.

I actually feel kind a sorry for people who can't feel that connection. It's raw, its human and I'm grateful to feel the way I do. At the same token, that connection brought a lot of happiness. And its normal to grieve when the person who has brought that happiness has been taken away.

Some people will never understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities