Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
655 rep points tell me otherwise.
Why do people boast about rep points like they're a degree? It just means at some point people agreed with something you said - maybe they're annoying too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think Aalyiah was huge for young people (those probably in the 25 - 30 range now) I remember me and my friends were crazy about the "Are you That Somebody" video and anybody who had long enough hair starting doing the swoop thing.
OMG, the long-haired, side swoop thing. Yes, yes, yes! Every girl was trying to rock that look. Me included!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
I rarely cry when my own relatives pass away, much less someone I don't know. But I did mourn when Stevie Ray Vaughan died and it still makes me sad to think about it.

In case anyone thinks I'm just cold-hearted, I tear up just about anytime I read about a child dying.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:35 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,105 times
I've felt saddened, stunned, shocked and so forth over celebrity or famous-person deaths, especially if they are young-ish or the deaths are sudden or unexpected. Some have affected me more than others. But I've never actually cried over a celebrity or famous death. Mostly, that's because I tend to not be a cry-er in general. Doesn't mean I don't feel something. I just tend to not express that "something" with tears.

That being said, we all grieve in different ways. I tend to not cry but I don't begrudge or belittle those who shed a tear or two. The ones I don't get are those who weep uncontrollably or fall out in the streets in hysterics over someone they don't personally know or someone whose death will not potentially significantly change the lives of most people.

The sudden and unexpected deaths of, say, JFK and MLK had the potential to significantly alter the course of American history (for the record, I didn't cry for them, either). The deaths of entertainers, while sad, will not.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:35 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
OMG, the long-haired, side swoop thing. Yes, yes, yes! Every girl was trying to rock that look. Me included!
You mean "The Kate"??? (haircut named after J&K+8 OCD mom)

Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I rarely cry when my own relatives pass away, much less someone I don't know. But I did mourn when Stevie Ray Vaughan died and it still makes me sad to think about it.

In case anyone thinks I'm just cold-hearted, I tear up just about anytime I read about a child dying.
Me too - I even tear up watching those TV movies from real life events like Adam Walsh or Amber (I forget her last name). I stopped watching the updates on missing children - too damn depressing.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I'm an emotional person, so it does take much these days to move me to tears. Today, when I heard of Michael Jackson's death, it was so unexpected that I felt I was hit by a wall. I began to sob for a few mins. cause this was a person that had been apart of my life since as long as I can remember. In fact. Wanna Be Startin' Something was the first song I remember learning the words to.

I'm fine now however.

I also shed a tear for Aaliyah, Lefteye and John Ritter. Got choked up about JFK Jr.

What about you?
I cried for the first time this morning over Michael. Also over Farrah Fawcett. Not sobbing, but just watery-eyed, and saddened.

I grew up listening to Michael Jackson's music, and I love some of his songs. As for Farrah, I watched her as a kid in Charlie's Angels, and her movies for tv were classics, too. She seemed like such a super nice woman.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Why do people boast about rep points like they're a degree? It just means at some point people agreed with something you said - maybe they're annoying too.
Not trying to boast...simply trying to make a point to DreamWeavin that not all people feel the same way that s/he does.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
LOL. Probably carryover from your Stormfront.org membership.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
You're right, I think we're all blown away by your greatness. 4000+ posts, 2 million+ times read.

I feel for everyone in this thread who has felt enough emotion to be moved by the death of a celebrated person, whether or not they were personally familiar with them. The fact that they are moved is a testament to the closeness they felt even if they never actually knew these people on a personal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities