Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My point is that there's hardly any advantage of quad core over dual core because Android is designed to pause all processes that are not in the foreground. At any given time, there's the kernel, the foreground activities and services running. Neither the kernel or services are computationally expensive. Almost all applications execute a single activity at a given time. Some, such as Google Goggles, execute two activities concurrently. Very very few execute more than two activities (v8 being the most commonly used). Mobile phones OS's are designed to have the least number of processes executing at any given time.

I'm sure this will change when big.LITTLE architecture becomes more popular.

Android does not have a JVM and the Android apps are not Java applications.
Turn on USB debugging. Attach a USB cable and run 'adb shell'. You may need the Android SDK to do this. When you have a shell, run 'ps'. You will see many processes running.

Not all software activity happens with the app that is in the foreground. In fact, most happens elsewhere.

Google for 'Dalvik Virtual Machine'. It is the Android version of the JVM. Each app gets a single instance of it. That is, each app process will use this to run. If it crashes, it will only crash that process/VM, and not anything else. Each user app is a Java application.

Each package you install will include this Java byte code with resources and a manifest, among other optional components.

Don't take my word for any of this. Do a net search.

If you want to develop an app (like I have), download a development environment for free (Eclipse, with Android plug-ins). You can get the SDK for free, too. All the necessary documentation and tutorials are online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Turn on USB debugging. Attach a USB cable and run 'adb shell'. You may need the Android SDK to do this. When you have a shell, run 'ps'. You will see many processes running.

Not all software activity happens with the app that is in the foreground. In fact, most happens elsewhere.

Google for 'Dalvik Virtual Machine'. It is the Android version of the JVM. Each app gets a single instance of it. That is, each app process will use this to run. If it crashes, it will only crash that process/VM, and not anything else. Each user app is a Java application.

Each package you install will include this Java byte code with resources and a manifest, among other optional components.

Don't take my word for any of this. Do a net search.

If you want to develop an app (like I have), download a development environment for free (Eclipse, with Android plug-ins). You can get the SDK for free, too. All the necessary documentation and tutorials are online.
No need to do all that. I've developed android apps and have Eclipse with ADT already (for Google as a matter of fact). I'm also an active contributor to the x86 android port,

Dalvik is not a version of JVM. It's a completely different VM that doesn't use a stack (like Java). The process are always open but they are not always executing.

You might want to take a look at the Android source to see how it handles these processes: Welcome to Android | Android Open Source

The packages don't include Java byte code. They include Dalvik byte code (dex). I'll save you the effort in Googling it so you can learn something about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEX_(file_format)

Maybe this will help you as well: http://www.amazon.com/Android-Applic...id+for+dummies

Last edited by NJBest; 02-28-2013 at 06:32 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
How do you think that byte code is produced?

I'm curious how you can justify the comment that Android apps are not Java applications.

Also curious about an explanation of how it does not matter how many app processor cores a phone has because they all run only one process at a time.

I've worked on Android since 'cupcake'... doing firmware, platform drivers, middleware (OS components), and apps. I know for a fact that multicore matters and there are benchmarks to prove it.

BTW, when people say multicore, they are talking about the apps cores, not the many other cores in a smart phone's main processor. There are also modem, graphics, DSP, and other cores.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
How do you think that byte code is produced?

I'm curious how you can justify the comment that Android apps are not Java applications.

Also curious about an explanation of how it does not matter how many app processor cores a phone has because they all run only one process at a time.

I've worked on Android since 'cupcake'... doing firmware, platform drivers, middleware (OS components), and apps. I know for a fact that multicore matters and there are benchmarks to prove it.

BTW, when people say multicore, they are talking about the apps cores, not the many other cores in a smart phone's main processor. There are also modem, graphics, DSP, and other cores.
Surprised that all this time you still don't have it down. Dex is created from java byte code. It's not a Java app because Java apps, by definition, utilize a stack.

The only benchmarks that show the benefits of quadcore are mulithreaded synthetic benchmarks. There's minimal real-world benefits except in very few apps. The only common app that benefits from quad core is v8.

You might want to actually read the thread you are participating in. People are talking about ARM instruction cores.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 PM

65 posts, read 73,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Surprised that all this time you still don't have it down. Dex is created from java byte code. It's not a Java app because Java apps, by definition, utilize a stack.
The real reason why it's not a Java app is because it does not run in a Java virtual machine.

Quote:

Dalvik is not the Android version of the JVM. The apk contains Dalvik byte code. Not Java byte code. Dalvik contains a reduced instruction set compared to Java.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones