Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I never took offense to anything, in fact I corrected many false claims and assertions you made. I am merely trying to explain concepts that you don't grasp. I'm trying to have a reasonable conversation but please cite statements of mine that are "illogical" or "irrelevant"...I'd like a chance to correct those or debate them.

And if you're going to make a snide comment such as "iPhone users welcome to 2010", back up this claim. 4G LTE wasn't even offered on phones until late Spring of 2011 and didn't become "mainstreamed" until the Spring of 2012. You're making absurd statements without any supporting evidence, surely you've learned that this type of argumentation never succeeds. If you'd like to have a relevant discussion, be prepared to support your assertions with facts and figures.
In 2010 I had a 4.3 inch screen which rocked with 1 gig rom, 1 gig procesor and it ran on a 4g network. This phone was called the Sprint Evo 4g which have certain social media apps backed in like flicker or facebook and twitter and this was 2 years ago. Finally Apple has caught up in the spec department. Anyway time for me to cook some dinner, no need for me to argue over a phone for what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
In 2010 I had a 4.3 inch screen which rocked with 1 gig rom, 1 gig procesor and it ran on a 4g network. This phone was called the Sprint Evo 4g which have certain social media apps backed in like flicker or facebook and twitter and this was 2 years ago. Finally Apple has caught up in the spec department. Anyway time for me to cook some dinner, no need for me to argue over a phone for what.
There was no LTE in 2010. The 4g that you are talking about was not LTE which is what iphone is running. The iphone 4s on At&t ran on 4g for that matter.

As far as the EVO 4G, it pretty much ran neck and neck with the iphone 4 with much lower specs, So please stop acting like the iphone 5 just caught up to the 2010 Evo 4g. It's currently beating the flagship Andriod phone, so does that mean the S3 is slower than the EVO4g from 2 1/2 years ago? It's all about performance, not spec sheets.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
There was no LTE in 2010. The 4g that you are talking about was not LTE which is what iphone is running. The iphone 4s on At&t ran on 4g for that matter.

As far as the EVO 4G, it pretty much ran neck and neck with the iphone 4 with much lower specs, So please stop acting like the iphone 5 just caught up to the 2010 Evo 4g. It's currently beating the flagship Andriod phone, so does that mean the S3 is slower than the EVO4g from 2 1/2 years ago? It's all about performance, not spec sheets.
He never said there was LTE in 2010. He was clearly referring to WIMAX. The iPhone 4/s only had 4G-like speeds on AT&T. And it's not all about performance at all.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Hahahaaaaa the new Iphone 5 is such a joke.. It's worst then what i though it would be, shame Apple.

Samsung has absolutely nothing to worry about. Samsung are leaders, innovators and have technological supremacy and prowess..
That's why they are dropping the SGS4 early. Iphone 5 got them shook! Check out the link below. 5" screen?!? Really!?! That is going to alienate a lot of S3 owners. 5" is just too big for a day to day phone. The Samsung note was popular, but catered to a niche market. They are basically making the S4 a phablet. Read some of the comments below the article.
Samsung Planning To Launch Galaxy S IV Early to Counter iPhone 5 Threat? | TechnoBuffalo

Last edited by bgNCATL; 09-17-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 06:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
I was seriously looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3 util I actually held one. Even though it is a nice looking phone and very fast - It just feels too big and "cheap". Looking at the iPhone when it hits the shelves.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:

I was using 4g wimax in 2010 on my evo 4g.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
Quote:
That's why they are dropping the SGS4 early. Iphone 5 got them shook! Check out the link below. 5" screen?!? Really!?! That is going to alienate a lot of S3 owners. 5" is just too big for a day to day phone. The Samsung note was popular, but catered to a niche market. They are basically making the S4 a phablet. Read some of the comments below the article.
Samsung Planning To Launch Galaxy S IV Early to Counter iPhone 5 Threat? | TechnoBuffalo

I doubt the Galaxy S 4 will have a 5 inch display. That would push it even closer to the Galaxy Note and make little sense.

Besides people need to remember, the Galaxy 2 2 was announced at Mobile World Congress in 2011 in February and did not make its debut on American carriers until late September. The Galaxy S 3 was released less than 10 months later.

Motorola has the right idea, sort of, with their Droid Razr M. It has an edge to edge display and packs a big screen on a small handset side. Hopefully we will see more manufacturers limiting the bezel space and shrink the overall handset size.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I was seriously looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3 util I actually held one. Even though it is a nice looking phone and very fast - It just feels too big and "cheap". Looking at the iPhone when it hits the shelves.
Exactly my sentiments.

I was actually going to consider the S3 until I used a friend's S3 and didn't care for it. The overall look of the phone is great but it feels cheap with the plastic backing. I also find it too large to make calls with, it feels awkward to hold because of the width and bulk. The S-Voice was also not very good, it constantly misunderstood my questions and this was one of the features I was looking forward to. I've used Siri on a 4S and although it also had a few quirks, it worked well overall.

I'm sure I'll like the iPhone 5 and when I receive it, I'll post a review. If something from Samsung or HTC comes out next year that is significantly better than the iPhone 5, I'll trade up...simple as that.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
For hardware, HTC is the best Android manufacturer, imo.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I doubt the Galaxy S 4 will have a 5 inch display. That would push it even closer to the Galaxy Note and make little sense.

Besides people need to remember, the Galaxy 2 2 was announced at Mobile World Congress in 2011 in February and did not make its debut on American carriers until late September. The Galaxy S 3 was released less than 10 months later.

Motorola has the right idea, sort of, with their Droid Razr M. It has an edge to edge display and packs a big screen on a small handset side. Hopefully we will see more manufacturers limiting the bezel space and shrink the overall handset size.
I also think Motorola has the right idea with the edge to edge display, I personally hope to see something like this on the next iPhone.

I don't quite understand the Galaxy Note/Note II...phone's like this seem like an exercise in mediocrity. What exactly are they good for? Too big to be a phone, too small to be a tablet, and I'm not sure what the point would be in having one. I think the Galaxy S3 pushes the limit for what most people would probably want to carry as their primary smartphone each day. Once you get above 5", I would think demand would be limited to a small minority who want an extra-large display.

The Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5 are both selling like hotcakes while the Galaxy Note is not nearly as popular despite having the largest display for a phone currently on the market. Could we assume that consumers find the perfect smartphone size somewhere between 4" and 4.8"? Some, like myself, find that 4.8" is still too large while others like the screen size. Are we pushing the envelope as to what consumers would actually purchase? Sure it's nice to say that X company produces the largest phone available but if they don't sell well, it's an exercise in futility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones