Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times

Advertisements

I put off getting a 3s because the I5 was coming out. However I do not see anything better than the 3s. Now Windows 8 is coming out. I will wait again. I would love a working windows based phone that fully integrates with outlook and word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
The design might be different but I don't necessarily think it's better than the 4S; I like the heft of the 4S, like I stated in another post. Adding 4G, larger screen, and it being faster were to be expected, "major" or not. And really IMO the 4S is still a great phone and until a 5S or 6 comes out I think there'll be no logical reason to upgrade anytime soon.

I'll reiterate, for a new model number I think a lot of people expected some breakthrough...and it wasn't there. That was my point. Again "seemed like an incremental upgrade" is the key phrase. There are some things this time around that are even negatives to some people (or maybe they don't know yet like): The thinner combined glass/digitizer will be more expensive to replace if it breaks. (my GS2 was $150, and I did it myself). The power connector has changed so you'd either have to buy an adapter and/or buy new accessories.

Though I think Jobs had a knack for selling these sorts of "upgrades" to seem more exciting than they were and here it seemed we didn't get "a big thing" nor his sales pitch. And I think this has a lot to do with it.

I'm not a salesman for Android nor a fanboi for any camp. The GS3 was a letdown in the design department, though Android as an OS is making great strides. The One X needs to work on their battery life and all brands and carriers need to make their skins removable because I think they are killing the actual strides Android is making.

But that's the thing: Apple has effectively turned itself into "the man." And it's probably a combination of their laurels, no Jobs and a lull in big advances in technology. Android is catching up, especially software-wise, while Apple has a solid grasp on hardware and efficiency, but iOS is getting a bit stale.

I want to see real innovation from both sides because that's what's fun; that's why I'm into technology. I'm not going to sit here and gush over 4G and good battery life because that is boring even though it is practical.

To finish with a car analogy (and you have to be into cars to get this but) the Honda S2000 was and still is one of the best convertible sports cars of all time. When it came out it was a semi-affordable "F1" car. It sold well, there was an upgrade halfway in its life to appeal to consumers; then sales tapered off. Honda is notorious for being conservative and stubborn about how they upgrade their models. Now Honda is going the way of Toyota and is becoming less and less sporty and more family (bland). Car makers like Hyundai are picking up on that and creating sporty cars and doing very well.

My point is (as hyperbolic as it may be) Apple seems to be headed to this "boring" route. They do it with their computers but their prices command that those are a niche quality product. And as such have no real competitors. In the phone race both Google and MS are right there and I think each company should try to make a "killing blow" to one another because that's what makes it interesting.
Can you tell me what would be a "major" change? Yes, the UI needs an overhaul, but I fully expect this will happen in 2013. I don't know if I consider that major though and people will be disappointed once again.

The bottom line is that people want Apple to come out with a completely different platform of phone as they did in 2007. That's the only way they will get excited again. This is just not going to happen and that goes for Android, windows, and iphone. When the SGS3 came out earlier this year, people were also disappointed. Get use to this trend. I saw this smart phone plateau coming a long time ago. People won't be wowed for a long time.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
I think there's plenty of room to still be wowed in the realm of design and especially in the UI.

But I don't see a UI overhaul until iPhone 6. I think we'll see a newly designed phone then too. I'd say 2014-2015.

And of course some this is somewhat dependent on technology. Apple has some patents on some haptic technology that looks absolutely awesome.

Yeah I'm disappointed and bored with iOS and Apple right now and like I said in another post, Apple has set themselves up as the ones who innovate. When they refine, it's a let down.

In the end, when you're into technology, complacency is hard to swallow no matter the reason.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Can you tell me what would be a "major" change? Yes, the UI needs an overhaul, but I fully expect this will happen in 2013. I don't know if I consider that major though and people will be disappointed once again.

The bottom line is that people want Apple to come out with a completely different platform of phone as they did in 2007. That's the only way they will get excited again. This is just not going to happen and that goes for Android, windows, and iphone. When the SGS3 came out earlier this year, people were also disappointed. Get use to this trend. I saw this smart phone plateau coming a long time ago. People won't be wowed for a long time.
I don't see this smartphone plateau that is everyone is talking about. There's still alot of room for improvement. Battery life is one without a monster phone. There are still alot of things that smartphones can't do that PCs can. Do you think you can play World of Warcraft on a smartphone? What about run Solidworks? There's still alot of room for smartphones to grow.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I don't see this smartphone plateau that is everyone is talking about. There's still alot of room for improvement. Battery life is one without a monster phone. There are still alot of things that smartphones can't do that PCs can. Do you think you can play World of Warcraft on a smartphone? What about run Solidworks? There's still alot of room for smartphones to grow.
How small of a screen would you want to do some of these things though? A smartphone is a great tool but I'm not going to be using it for memory-intensive applications or writing a novel on a miniature keyboard. A tablet is the next logical step when you want something easily portable, speedy, and large enough to do certain tasks on.

I really think we're at a plateau also, there are only so many things one would WANT to do on a sub 5" screen. After a while, staring at a smartphone does become tiring on the eyes. I think many people want smartphones to become an extension of themselves and be able to replace other gadgets we seem to carry.

The passport app on the iPhone 5 is a good start, NFC on the GS3 is also something that will be developed in the future. Mercedes have the smartkey application which allows people to lock, start, unlock their vehicle from there smartphone...I can see this becoming more developed by other manufacturers. I think quite a few people would eventually like to see a phone that will virtually replace their wallet with having all their insurance information, credit cards, drivers licence, rewards cards, etc just stored on their phone along with the possibility to use their phone to start their car, unlock it, open the trunk, etc. This is the next logical step in my mind.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:26 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
How small of a screen would you want to do some of these things though? A smartphone is a great tool but I'm not going to be using it for memory-intensive applications or writing a novel on a miniature keyboard. A tablet is the next logical step when you want something easily portable, speedy, and large enough to do certain tasks on.

I really think we're at a plateau also, there are only so many things one would WANT to do on a sub 5" screen. After a while, staring at a smartphone does become tiring on the eyes. I think many people want smartphones to become an extension of themselves and be able to replace other gadgets we seem to carry.

The passport app on the iPhone 5 is a good start, NFC on the GS3 is also something that will be developed in the future. Mercedes have the smartkey application which allows people to lock, start, unlock their vehicle from there smartphone...I can see this becoming more developed by other manufacturers. I think quite a few people would eventually like to see a phone that will virtually replace their wallet with having all their insurance information, credit cards, drivers licence, rewards cards, etc just stored on their phone along with the possibility to use their phone to start their car, unlock it, open the trunk, etc. This is the next logical step in my mind.
I agree to a point, that for surfing the internet, texting and such, everything is fine as is. However those are programs off the top of my head. And I guess that's what most people do with laptops and such anyways so people who want to do those things are going to be few and far between as it is.
Other examples I can think of are things like database programs even excel for more sophisticated tasks.
I agree with the wallet thing. You can already scan a boarding pass from your phone and buy stuff, so that isn't far off I don't think.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think there's plenty of room to still be wowed in the realm of design and especially in the UI.

But I don't see a UI overhaul until iPhone 6. I think we'll see a newly designed phone then too. I'd say 2014-2015.

And of course some this is somewhat dependent on technology. Apple has some patents on some haptic technology that looks absolutely awesome.

Yeah I'm disappointed and bored with iOS and Apple right now and like I said in another post, Apple has set themselves up as the ones who innovate. When they refine, it's a let down.

In the end, when you're into technology, complacency is hard to swallow no matter the reason.
I had heard about the haptic technology before, but had forgotten about it. It does seem like something cool. I think the changable camera is cool too. It's possible that both could be in iphone 6. As far as ios, I definitely see it being overhualed with the i5s.They have to give something than just the chip upgrade. The major problem will be to make ios look different than the million android phones out there. Apple wants you to look at there phone and know exactly what it is. Right now the boring icons are doing that, but boy does it need to change.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I put off getting a 3s because the I5 was coming out. However I do not see anything better than the 3s. Now Windows 8 is coming out. I will wait again. I would love a working windows based phone that fully integrates with outlook and word.
Yup, im waiting to see what MS brings to the table with the new Nokias. My iPhone 3Gs is on its last legs.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They currently provide the best user experience hands down.

I don't think so.

I have two smartphones, neither of which are an iphone or android.

They were both cluttered, and didn't offer everything I needed from a phone.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Yup, im waiting to see what MS brings to the table with the new Nokias. My iPhone 3Gs is on its last legs.

I'm currently using a WP7 as one of my devices; you should definitely look at the WP8 phones. I believe they come out at the end of october.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones