Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
today for today, yeah they suck.

I stand by my Hyundai analogy, look at previous generation Hyundai's and Androids.. same hyoe people spew now was said for those products on their release.

look
at
them
now

edit:
compare an '03 Accord to an '03 Hyundai

compare an iPhone3g to a whatever Android phone that was the 'iPhone killer' of its time.
Fair enough, you feel the top Android handsets of today look like trash compared to the iPhone 5. That's your opinion and you're entitled to express it. Apparently there are an awful lot of people walking around with trashy phones.

One thing you're forgetting is that it takes time for a product line to evolve. Example: the original iPhone looks like crap compared to the iPhone 5. Of course a 2003 Hyundai is going to look like junk next to a 2013 Hyundai, or pretty much any other car. Saying lets go back in time and look at the older models as an indication that you're point makes sense does not hold weight. Does it really matter is a 2003 Honda Accord was better than a 2003 Hyundai? Nope. Those cars are not what's new and relevant today, 9 plus years later.

Sounds like someone is grasping at straws to support their trashy comments.......

Oh also, would you care to explain why Apple copied a "trashy" design of one of their competitors to make the new iPod Nano look very similar to the Nokia Lumia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spack View Post
I am satisfied with the iPhone 4S, I really don't see the need to upgrade to an iPhone 5. It would have to be fundamentally different.
If you're not due for an upgrade, why make the move? The 4S is still a very solid phone and you're getting the iOS 6 update.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Fair enough, you feel the top Android handsets of today look like trash compared to the iPhone 5. That's your opinion and you're entitled to express it. Apparently there are an awful lot of people walking around with trashy phones.

One thing you're forgetting is that it takes time for a product line to evolve. Example: the original iPhone looks like crap compared to the iPhone 5. Of course a 2003 Hyundai is going to look like junk next to a 2013 Hyundai, or pretty much any other car. Saying lets go back in time and look at the older models as an indication that you're point makes sense does not hold weight. Does it really matter is a 2003 Honda Accord was better than a 2003 Hyundai? Nope. Those cars are not what's new and relevant today, 9 plus years later.

Sounds like someone is grasping at straws to support their trashy comments.......

Oh also, would you care to explain why Apple copied a "trashy" design of one of their competitors to make the new iPod Nano look very similar to the Nokia Lumia?
you misunderstood my point, real shocker there.

At that time, that phone; Android device, was sold as an iPhone killer. Evidently it wasn't.

At that time;2003, Accord was being put on notice by Sonata (according to your type), evidently it wasn't.

And repeat this generation after generation into the future.

While the current trendy Hyundai is alleged to be better than a current Honda, we'll see what actually becomes of it.

Now correlate that to your Android whatever handset being an iPhone killer, let's just see if it is or it isn't.

In about 4 months we will have all forgotten about whatever Samsung or insert phone model here handset is currently worldss better than an iPhone. Just watch.

also I mean for people who need USB ports and RCA inputs on their phones then Android is the way to go for you. But currently iPhone will be champ NOT becausw of quad-cross X core 5gb flash ram etc, but because of iOS and sheer stability.

early posts of mine here said that I can't wait for a GOOD open source handsets and I truly can't but that for now Android isn't the answer. I'm watching Mozilla to see what they're cooking, hoping it is something good.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
you misunderstood my point, real shocker there.

At that time, that phone; Android device, was sold as an iPhone killer. Evidently it wasn't.

At that time;2003, Accord was being put on notice by Sonata (according to your type), evidently it wasn't.

And repeat this generation after generation into the future.

While the current trendy Hyundai is alleged to be better than a current Honda, we'll see what actually becomes of it.

Now correlate that to your Android whatever handset being an iPhone killer, let's just see if it is or it isn't.

In about 4 months we will have all forgotten about whatever Samsung or insert phone model here handset is currently worldss better than an iPhone. Just watch.

also I mean for people who need USB ports and RCA inputs on their phones then Android is the way to go for you. But currently iPhone will be champ NOT becausw of quad-cross X core 5gb flash ram etc, but because of iOS and sheer stability.

early posts of mine here said that I can't wait for a GOOD open source handsets and I truly can't but that for now Android isn't the answer. I'm watching Mozilla to see what they're cooking, hoping it is something good.
I understand what you're trying to say and what that is does not make a lot of sense. Look at the evolution of the iPhone. Looking back at the original until now shows a big leap forward for the phone. The same could be said for Android phones as well. I am acknowledging that you feel that the current iPhone is better than any Android phone out there and that it makes those Android phones look like trash. Again, that's your opinion.

You also feel that Hyundai cars are trash and brought up a 2003 Hyundai Sonata vs. a 2003 Accord to support your claim. Again, I don't see the point in bringing up cars from 9 years ago to make your point. You could easily point to reviews and ratings, or even sales figures to support your claims.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Quote:
I also think a good number of iPhone 5 buyers are going to be those that once used a BlackBerry. Their market share continues to fall as those user opt for iPhones and Androids.
A "good number"?
BB is like 3% of the market. If every remaining BB user came to iPhone, it won't even be noticeable.

As for this discussion about "trashy" Android phone. Hey... you get what you pay for.
Go to Verizon and get the cheapest smart phone you can. It'll be free. It will have an old version of Android on it. Spend half of what the cheapest iPhone costs and get the Droid Incredible 4G or the Droid RAZR M... both excellent phones.
Hey, the iPhone 3GS is free now too, and is crap.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A "good number"?
BB is like 3% of the market. If every remaining BB user came to iPhone, it won't even be noticeable.

As for this discussion about "trashy" Android phone. Hey... you get what you pay for.
Go to Verizon and get the cheapest smart phone you can. It'll be free. It will have an old version of Android on it. Spend half of what the cheapest iPhone costs and get the Droid Incredible 4G or the Droid RAZR M... both excellent phones.
Hey, the iPhone 3GS is free now too, and is crap.
Haha.....perhaps I did overstate RIM's share a bit.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Well and the fact that the poster's analogy didn't work because Hyundai does make a decent car now.

A lot of Android phones are trash, but the good ones, GS3, One X, are good if not better than the iPhone 4S. Better than the iPhone 5 is up to debate.

The iPhone 5 isn't a bad phone by any means, it just seems as though for a brand NEW iteration "5" we would have seen something a bit "more." This seemed like an incremental upgrade like the: 3GS, 4S and even those seemed to have more pizzazz than this current iPhone.
You have got to be kidding me! The 3gs and 4s were the exact same phone with a chip upgrade and a camera upgrade. Although the i5 has design cues from the previous model, it's totally different. keeping the sqaured off design allows more cubic space and makes it unique amongst the Android army. This just makes since. Think of it like a Corvette. It has changed over the years, but it still looks like a corvette.

Having 4g, a larger screen, aluminum body, faster processor, thinner and lighter makes this a major upgrade over the previous model. If you call this an incremental upgrade, then what exactly did all the Android phones bring to the table this year over last year?

Last edited by bgNCATL; 09-14-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,485 times
Quote:
If you're not due for an upgrade, why make the move? The 4S is still a very solid phone and you're getting the iOS 6 update.
I agree with you, but I had to do it for 4g and the larger screen alone. I could not sit with 3g for another year LOL. 4s is a really good phone though. I also wanted to get off the 4s, 5s cycle. I want my upgrade to be the major change.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
iPhones change quite a bit between models. Apple isn't known for throwing out crazy, radical new designs every year.

They're known for putting out solid phones.

I've owned every single model of iPhone. I upgrade yearly. Each of them is a big improvement over the previous model.

I estimate the big redesign to be 2 years out.

Even if this was the point in the cycle where more drastic changes would be made, I think it was wise not to play it free and easy in their first year without Steve Jobs.

Apple didn't become such a wealthy company by taking stupid risks. When Jobs returned to Apple, they took calculated risks. And it made the company quite successful.

I do agree that people who want a lot of customization without having to jailbreak might better be served by a droid device. But, that's not the majority of the market.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
You have got to be kidding me! The 3gs and 4s were the exact same phone with a chip upgrade and a camera upgrade. Although the i5 has design cues from the previous model, it's totally different. keeping the sqaured off design allows more cubic space and makes it unique amongst the Android army. This just makes since. Think of it like a Corvette. It has changed over the years, but it still looks like a corvette.

Having 4g, a larger screen, aluminum body, faster processor, thinner and lighter makes this a major upgrade over the previous model. If you call this an incremental upgrade, then what exactly did all the Android phones bring to the table this year over last year?

The design might be different but I don't necessarily think it's better than the 4S; I like the heft of the 4S, like I stated in another post. Adding 4G, larger screen, and it being faster were to be expected, "major" or not. And really IMO the 4S is still a great phone and until a 5S or 6 comes out I think there'll be no logical reason to upgrade anytime soon.

I'll reiterate, for a new model number I think a lot of people expected some breakthrough...and it wasn't there. That was my point. Again "seemed like an incremental upgrade" is the key phrase. There are some things this time around that are even negatives to some people (or maybe they don't know yet like): The thinner combined glass/digitizer will be more expensive to replace if it breaks. (my GS2 was $150, and I did it myself). The power connector has changed so you'd either have to buy an adapter and/or buy new accessories.

Though I think Jobs had a knack for selling these sorts of "upgrades" to seem more exciting than they were and here it seemed we didn't get "a big thing" nor his sales pitch. And I think this has a lot to do with it.

I'm not a salesman for Android nor a fanboi for any camp. The GS3 was a letdown in the design department, though Android as an OS is making great strides. The One X needs to work on their battery life and all brands and carriers need to make their skins removable because I think they are killing the actual strides Android is making.

But that's the thing: Apple has effectively turned itself into "the man." And it's probably a combination of their laurels, no Jobs and a lull in big advances in technology. Android is catching up, especially software-wise, while Apple has a solid grasp on hardware and efficiency, but iOS is getting a bit stale.

I want to see real innovation from both sides because that's what's fun; that's why I'm into technology. I'm not going to sit here and gush over 4G and good battery life because that is boring even though it is practical.

To finish with a car analogy (and you have to be into cars to get this but) the Honda S2000 was and still is one of the best convertible sports cars of all time. When it came out it was a semi-affordable "F1" car. It sold well, there was an upgrade halfway in its life to appeal to consumers; then sales tapered off. Honda is notorious for being conservative and stubborn about how they upgrade their models. Now Honda is going the way of Toyota and is becoming less and less sporty and more family (bland). Car makers like Hyundai are picking up on that and creating sporty cars and doing very well.

My point is (as hyperbolic as it may be) Apple seems to be headed to this "boring" route. They do it with their computers but their prices command that those are a niche quality product. And as such have no real competitors. In the phone race both Google and MS are right there and I think each company should try to make a "killing blow" to one another because that's what makes it interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones