Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:13 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I guess that I am the only one who is not impressed nor would I want to live anywhere near that guy. What if he got drunk one night and started target practice on any form of movement in the street? What if that movement was me?? Or, any of you??

He got lucky this time. The movement was a thug. He also was very lucky that the thug didn't take that gun and shoot HIM with it (something that I know happens a LOT).

I'd rather have a large Doberman, Husky or even my psycho Lab to protect me. That way I KNOW that it won't come back to bite me!

You don't hear of responsible firearm owners doing that type of thing, simply because they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
LOL yeah when bill the cartoon klinton's so called quasi gun ban 'Sunset' the libers said blood would flow in the streets. Well it didn't. Not by law abiding gun owners any way.

Anyone thinking a dog bite is going to stop a real bad guy, has a lot of thinking to do.

If I was a bad guy, set on getting your stuff and or you, and a dog got in my way about that, the first thing I would do is stop the dog permanently.

That isn't a bluff. I did stop a dobie that way once. I was walking with a buddy and we each had girls hanging off our arm. A nice summer evening walk in a park at Marblehead Mass. The dogs owner at better than 50 yards away told the dog to get us. I never did know why.

The dog did as told. I pulled my jean jacket over one arm told all my friends to take a few steps back, and when that dog latched on my 'offered' arm, jumping to do it, I broke his dammned neck. End of problem, the guy howeled a bit, and we pretty much ignorred him. I wasn't phased in the slightest, but the girls were upset.

You have to count on a bad guy fears dogs. Every one fears the muzzel of a shot gun. My best guess is that shot gun was in Larry's jeep, and it wasn't holding any shells. But loading a few shells isn't a time taking ordeal.

Maybe Larry hunts game birds. Maybe he just likes a shot gun for car and home defence.

Just because you are able to shoot, doesn't mean you will. That depends on what the bad guy does.

Those who would feel sorry for the bad guys of the world just make me sick.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I guess that I am the only one who is not impressed nor would I want to live anywhere near that guy. What if he got drunk one night and started target practice on any form of movement in the street? What if that movement was me?? Or, any of you??

He got lucky this time. The movement was a thug. He also was very lucky that the thug didn't take that gun and shoot HIM with it (something that I know happens a LOT).

I'd rather have a large Doberman, Husky or even my psycho Lab to protect me. That way I KNOW that it won't come back to bite me!
What if he "got drunk?" What if he "started target practice on any form of movement in the street?"

CHI - I love ya, but honestly . . . when have you ever heard of this happening in someone's neighborhood?

People in a psychotic state may attack others . . . but just how often do you run into folks who are in a psychotic state - or who are drunk and taking aim at folks?

I have lived in many neighborhoods over the years and I am a lot more worried about drunk drivers than drunk neighbors w/ guns. In all my years on this planet, I have never even SEEN any of my neighbors drunk, much less drunk and shooting guns. But I have lived most of my life around neighbors who certainly owned firearms (as I do now) and it makes me feel a lot safer knowing my neighbors are armed.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 AM

385 posts, read 890,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
But now that this thug has been captured, we must look at what will happen to him. In the article, it was suggested he will possibly do some jail time and end up wearing one of those "ubiquitous" ankle bracelets. Well, we all know how well they work!! He'll be back on the streets in no time at all. Perhaps, the next time around, he'll learn from the error of his ways and figure that a gun will "equalize" what a homeowner can quickly come up with! The Charlotte and Mecklenburg criminal justice system wimps out on a regular basis producing even more disasterous results in the long run!
Yep, the article mentioned he was only 19 and already had a long sheet of priors. Can you imagine what will be when is say... 23??? Bigger crimes await Mr. Terrel.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 AM

I really wonder . . . does every city Charlotte's size have such a disproportionate number of young thugs with rap sheets that long? It seems the repeat offenders in this city tend to be under 21 y/os and into criminal behavior for many years (many having juvvie offenses).

Is there something about Charlotte that makes for a fertile breeding ground for young thugs? I do not get it. Someone at 19 should be enrolled in school, preparing to become a tax-paying citizen.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
Yep, the article mentioned he was only 19 and already had a long sheet of priors. Can you imagine what will be when is say... 23??? Bigger crimes await Mr. Terrel.

As I said yesterday, Larry Whitmore is my hero! I would be proud and honored to have such a strong man as my neighbor.

And he may well have saved our criminal Mr. Terrel from a further life of crime by scaring him straight, lol. Which would be a GOOD thing.

As Ani said, when these little b@stards start understanding that more of the good guys are armed and willing to confront them, MAYBE they'll think twice about what they are doing.

If Mr. Terrel did not have a "come to Jesus" moment when ole Larry pulled that shotgun on him then he's just plain stupid.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I really wonder . . . does every city Charlotte's size have such a disproportionate number of young thugs with rap sheets that long? It seems the repeat offenders in this city tend to be under 21 y/os and into criminal behavior for many years (many having juvvie offenses).

Is there something about Charlotte that makes for a fertile breeding ground for young thugs? I do not get it. Someone at 19 should be enrolled in school, preparing to become a tax-paying citizen.

I think in large part it has to do with our lazy and lacking criminal justice system here.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL. God, I love a Mossberg. Even a woman can handle it well.
OT:

I saw this post yesterday, and didn't want to comment, but it bugged me all night long.

With proper training almost any healthy adult male or female can handle any weapon well. Real training, not the jerk next door, not dear hubby who never owned a gun before he turned 35, and not the gun wacho kid who fancy's himself a gun slinger on a soap box.

Trainers get their own training. I have some. One day little kate apx 24 years old and tipping the scales at about 85 pounds soaking wet, said "Ooh My that is a big gun.", "Can a girl shoot that?" She was looking at my WW-2 vintage Remington Rand, colt clone .45 ACP.

I laughed at her antics, set up a target and shot 1 round so she could see, and decide more. She still wanted to try, so I handed her the gun, stepped behind her, holding my hands over hers, and she shot a bulls eye. Then I let go, and stepped back a few paces, and she dumped the rest of the magazine in the target black center every time.

When the slide locked back, I stepped up and removed the weapon from her hands so she couldn't make any errors that would upset me.

New people who shoot well are naturals, but in shear glee tend to turn with the weapon, and point it at YOU. I tend to frown on that last move.

I knew the weapon was empty, and I guess she did too, but still 'ALL GUNS are LOADED' whether or not you know it. It's a rule.

I missed a few details in the telling. Kate wore ear muffs, shooting glasses, and listened to a few RULES before we fired the weapon.

My wife loves to shoot a K-98 WW-2 vintage mauser in 8mm with turk surplus ammo intended to run a machine gun, so this ammo is just a tad hot. In fact it prints about 2 feet high at 150 yeards measured. (The sights were altered to use this ammo)

That gun kicks like a mule. My wife is scarey good with that gun. This 8MM mauser is about the same ballisticly as out 30-06 round.

The 30-06 means 30 caliber, the 06 means 1906. 30 caliber is 7.62 mm, and a class of rounds used today.

The smallest is 7.62 x 39 and is near to Winchester 30-30 ballisticly speaking, and sort to mid range not that powerfull round, used in guns like Ak-47 and SKS rifles.

The next is NATO 7.62 x 51 or Winchester .308 used every day in the Mil, and used hunting with a different bullet types of which there are many.

The next is used by the Russians Mil and hunters. This is 7.62 x 54. Not rare, but not totally popular either, but these are around just the same.

Last is the 30-06 = 7.62 x 63. There are more bullet types for this round than any other gun in the world.

As you can see the diameter of the bullet remains the same, but the brass case capacities are larger from the next, holding more gun powder than the next, and so become more powerfull at each instance.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If Mr. Terrel did not have a "come to Jesus" moment when ole Larry pulled that shotgun on him then he's just plain stupid.
Or he's a sociopath. Or stupid and a sociopath.

Hopefully, he will figure out that he needs to be a productive member of society rather than a menace to those around him, something he should have learned at home . . . and if not there, at church . . . and if not there, at school.

I don't have a lot of faith in the penal system, tho. It seems a lot of these guys just brag about their jail time like it is a star in their crowns.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM

anifani821, the most scarey persons to me are fat gray hair senators drunk with a ink pen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte