Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL yeah when bill the cartoon klinton's so called quasi gun ban 'Sunset' the libers said blood would flow in the streets. Well it didn't. Not by law abiding gun owners any way.

Anyone thinking a dog bite is going to stop a real bad guy, has a lot of thinking to do.

If I was a bad guy, set on getting your stuff and or you, and a dog got in my way about that, the first thing I would do is stop the dog permanently.

That isn't a bluff. I did stop a dobie that way once. I was walking with a buddy and we each had girls hanging off our arm. A nice summer evening walk in a park at Marblehead Mass. The dogs owner at better than 50 yards away told the dog to get us. I never did know why.

The dog did as told. I pulled my jean jacket over one arm told all my friends to take a few steps back, and when that dog latched on my 'offered' arm, jumping to do it, I broke his dammned neck. End of problem, the guy howeled a bit, and we pretty much ignorred him. I wasn't phased in the slightest, but the girls were upset.

You have to count on a bad guy fears dogs. Every one fears the muzzel of a shot gun. My best guess is that shot gun was in Larry's jeep, and it wasn't holding any shells. But loading a few shells isn't a time taking ordeal.

Maybe Larry hunts game birds. Maybe he just likes a shot gun for car and home defence.

Just because you are able to shoot, doesn't mean you will. That depends on what the bad guy does.

Those who would feel sorry for the bad guys of the world just make me sick.
YOU are the one I wouldn't want for a neighbor. You're no better than the idiot thief in the story, but you sure sound a lot more smug than he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
anifani821, the most scarey persons to me are fat gray hair senators drunk with a ink pen.
"No one's life, liberty or property are safe when the legislature is in session."
Mark Twain (one of my favorite quotes).

But I believe your depiction is inaccurate, MAC. It isn't just the fat gray-haired senators one should be concerned about. Anyone who has the power of legislating on the people's behalf can be drunk on power, regardless of age, sex, race, religion, etc. etc. etc.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
YOU are the one I wouldn't want for a neighbor. You're no better than the idiot thief in the story, but you sure sound a lot more smug than he does.

Nothing at all smug about his words.....there is a lot of truth in them.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
OT:

I saw this post yesterday, and didn't want to comment, but it bugged me all night long.

With proper training almost any healthy adult male or female can handle any weapon well. Real training, not the jerk next door, not dear hubby who never owned a gun before he turned 35, and not the gun wacho kid who fancy's himself a gun slinger on a soap box.

Trainers get their own training. I have some. One day little kate apx 24 years old and tipping the scales at about 85 pounds soaking wet, said "Ooh My that is a big gun.", "Can a girl shoot that?" She was looking at my WW-2 vintage Remington Rand, colt clone .45 ACP.

I laughed at her antics, set up a target and shot 1 round so she could see, and decide more. She still wanted to try, so I handed her the gun, stepped behind her, holding my hands over hers, and she shot a bulls eye. Then I let go, and stepped back a few paces, and she dumped the rest of the magazine in the target black center every time.

When the slide locked back, I stepped up and removed the weapon from her hands so she couldn't make any errors that would upset me.

New people who shoot well are naturals, but in shear glee tend to turn with the weapon, and point it at YOU. I tend to frown on that last move.

I knew the weapon was empty, and I guess she did too, but still 'ALL GUNS are LOADED' whether or not you know it. It's a rule.

I missed a few details in the telling. Kate wore ear muffs, shooting glasses, and listened to a few RULES before we fired the weapon.

My wife loves to shoot a K-98 WW-2 vintage mauser in 8mm with turk surplus ammo intended to run a machine gun, so this ammo is just a tad hot. In fact it prints about 2 feet high at 150 yeards measured. (The sights were altered to use this ammo)

That gun kicks like a mule. My wife is scarey good with that gun. This 8MM mauser is about the same ballisticly as out 30-06 round.

The 30-06 means 30 caliber, the 06 means 1906. 30 caliber is 7.62 mm, and a class of rounds used today.

The smallest is 7.62 x 39 and is near to Winchester 30-30 ballisticly speaking, and sort to mid range not that powerfull round, used in guns like Ak-47 and SKS rifles.

The next is NATO 7.62 x 51 or Winchester .308 used every day in the Mil, and used hunting with a different bullet types of which there are many.

The next is used by the Russians Mil and hunters. This is 7.62 x 54. Not rare, but not totally popular either, but these are around just the same.

Last is the 30-06 = 7.62 x 63. There are more bullet types for this round than any other gun in the world.

As you can see the diameter of the bullet remains the same, but the brass case capacities are larger from the next, holding more gun powder than the next, and so become more powerfull at each instance.
whew, any other ladies in here feeling their temperature rise??

Sure enjoy your posts Mac

Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
"No one's life, liberty or property are safe when the legislature is in session."
Mark Twain (one of my favorite quotes).

But I believe your depiction is inaccurate, MAC. It isn't just the fat gray-haired senators one should be concerned about. Anyone who has the power of legislating on the people's behalf can be drunk on power, regardless of age, sex, race, religion, etc. etc. etc.

SO true, but those drunk on power scare me a lot more than my law abiding neighbor who's been trained to fire a weapon

Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Nothing at all smug about his words.....there is a lot of truth in them.
I don't care how true they are - go back and read again. Anyone that would be so boastful about killing a dog is no better than the dirt on the bottom of my shoe, as far as I'm concerned. If you killed my dog you can bet I will pull a shotgun on you, and oops - I would probably let it fire. What a jerk.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
SO true, but those drunk on power scare me a lot more than my law abiding neighbor who's been trained to fire a weapon
Yes, I agree 100%.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
Quote:
I don't care how true they are - go back and read again. Anyone that would be so boastful about killing a dog is no better than the dirt on the bottom of my shoe, as far as I'm concerned. If you killed my dog you can bet I will pull a shotgun on you, and oops - I would probably let it fire. What a jerk.

It is your prerogative to value an animal more than human life.
But those types of mentalities are what put this country in the mess it
is in now by large part.

Talk of smug? oops, probably let it fire? That is not only smug, but irresponsible and immature.

Last edited by sundrop; 07-21-2010 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: fixed a crazy typo :)

Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
whew, any other ladies in here feeling their temperature rise??

Sure enjoy your posts Mac
Yes, I had no clue why MAC said my post "bugged" him. I like Mossbergs and feel I can handle mine more easily than other shotguns and deer rifles I have used in the past.

Why that sent MAC off on a rant about firearms and women is beyond me.

Just b/c I am female it doesn't mean I am ditzy, untrained or lack skill.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:

I LOVE dogs, and I'm guessing Mac does too, but if one ATTACKS me?? especially one as fierce as a doberman and it's either me or him, duh, I think I'm going to chose to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte