Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What if he "got drunk?" What if he "started target practice on any form of movement in the street?"

CHI - I love ya, but honestly . . . when have you ever heard of this happening in someone's neighborhood?

People in a psychotic state may attack others . . . but just how often do you run into folks who are in a psychotic state - or who are drunk and taking aim at folks?

I have lived in many neighborhoods over the years and I am a lot more worried about drunk drivers than drunk neighbors w/ guns. In all my years on this planet, I have never even SEEN any of my neighbors drunk, much less drunk and shooting guns. But I have lived most of my life around neighbors who certainly owned firearms (as I do now) and it makes me feel a lot safer knowing my neighbors are armed.
happens all the time. Yes, I have lived in neighbourhoods where my neighbours were armed and, often, after a night of partying, there would be gunfire in the streets. (literally) Especially on the S. side of Chicago. (which really IS the "baddest side of town"). Used to happen in the school yards of high schools when I was in school (70's) drug/alcohol fueled gang fights in the courtyards...and, may well happen again now that the gun ban has been lifted. Maybe "responsible" gun owners don't do this, but, are YOU going to ask someone if he/she is a "responsible" gun owner when he/she starts flashing that gun and threatening you?? If COPS in Chicago (who are pretty hardened and certainly not novices) can't keep the thugs from killing them randomly, what chances do WE have? NOTE: Two cops have been killed in the weeks following the lifting of the gun ban. One was in uniform, coming home after his shift. The other was in the parking lot of the precinct.

Sorry, guys. I have seen too much gunfire in my life. Have known of too many innocent people killed unnecessarily in the name of the "second amendment". and, note, I have never been in an actual war.

I guess that things would be better if people were actually trained and all the proper things were followed. I probably would not be quite so adamant against firearms. But, since those rules/laws are obviously unenforceable, I will be adamantly against any form of firearm anywhere near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Pepper spray?

I have a neighbor, an attractive woman, who recently traveled to visit relatives by driving alone 15 hours.

I asked her if she traveled with a handgun (as I myself always do). She giggled and said, "oh no, I'm afraid of guns! I just trust God to get me there safely".

I looked at her and said, "Well, God rides shotgun with me everywhere I go, but he and I are BOTH packing heat!"

Seriously, I never underestimate the power of God - BUT, I also believe God expects you to use the good brain he gave you and protect yourself when possible
I pack Freeze+P. It's a tear gas/pepper spray mixture. You are still obliged to call the nearest PD, if you use it.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I pack Freeze+P. It's a tear gas/pepper spray mixture. You are still obliged to call the nearest PD, if you use it.
great idea, SB. I have pepper spray but I like the sounds of yours better. Where did you get it?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Pepper spray?

I have a neighbor, an attractive woman, who recently traveled to visit relatives by driving alone 15 hours.

I asked her if she traveled with a handgun (as I myself always do). She giggled and said, "oh no, I'm afraid of guns! I just trust God to get me there safely".

I looked at her and said, "Well, God rides shotgun with me everywhere I go, but he and I are BOTH packing heat!"

Seriously, I never underestimate the power of God - BUT, I also believe God expects you to use the good brain he gave you and protect yourself when possible
I agree with this lady. My God is bigger than ANYTHING. I always travel alone; many times overseas. Sometimes, I bring a dog, (not overseas, obviously) sometimes not. I do carry pepper spray, however.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
great idea, SB. I have pepper spray but I like the sounds of yours better. Where did you get it?
This is professional spray & you have to check to make certain that it's legal for civilians, on a state by state basis. NJ only allowed the keychain size so that's what I have. It's legal in NC, but not certain of a size limit, but the keychain size is legal, since it's the smallest.

I got it online from a police supply place.

You are obliged to only use it under the same circumstances that you would use a gun. It will paralyze the perp for 15 -30 minutes. The PD has to be called becasue they have to be taken to a hospital to get their eyes washed out.

I chose this route so that if I am someplace & something happens, I don't have to wonder what the local gun law is.

ETA: OK that sounds like I'm nuts. I would only use if I felt threatened, as for a gun. If I'm somewhere where I don't know the gun law in detail (on a trip) & spray, the perp isn't dead, so the family can't sue me for a wrongful death.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-22-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
CC this may help to some degree... Generally the fire department has a better response time than the police... This is the first time I've seen it deploy in a car.

YouTube - Burglars get smoked right out! (Smash and Grab security)

Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Pepper spray?

I travel to St. Louis often to visit my family (13 hrs, so close enough to 15), and never once thought I needed a handgun. Unless you're stopping overnight in shady areas, I don't see why you would. I haven't seen many thugs running along the side of the hwy trying to jump into my car and rob me.

I always plan out my gas stops ahead of times, and know that they're in nicer areas, and I try not to drive at night. Yes, I know bad things can happen during the day, or that you can break down and be stranded somewhere. I've never had this happen though, and I always get my car in for a maintenance check before any trips to lessen the chance of a breakdown. I also have triple A, so if my car did break down, I would not wander off, I would just wait for the tow truck.

Granted I am one of those people who could not actually shoot someone. Well I could, but I think I would feel bad, or at least freak out before pulling the trigger. I'm all for gun rights, but I never want to use one. They freak me out. Anything that can kill freaks me out. I had a friend who carried a machete in his back seat, and even that I didn't really like.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I travel to St. Louis often to visit my family (13 hrs, so close enough to 15), and never once thought I needed a handgun. Unless you're stopping overnight in shady areas, I don't see why you would. I haven't seen many thugs running along the side of the hwy trying to jump into my car and rob me.

I always plan out my gas stops ahead of times, and know that they're in nicer areas, and I try not to drive at night. Yes, I know bad things can happen during the day, or that you can break down and be stranded somewhere. I've never had this happen though, and I always get my car in for a maintenance check before any trips to lessen the chance of a breakdown. I also have triple A, so if my car did break down, I would not wander off, I would just wait for the tow truck.

Granted I am one of those people who could not actually shoot someone. Well I could, but I think I would feel bad, or at least freak out before pulling the trigger. I'm all for gun rights, but I never want to use one. They freak me out. Anything that can kill freaks me out. I had a friend who carried a machete in his back seat, and even that I didn't really like.

The Ted Bundy's and Henry Lee Lucas' of the world love women like you and ChiCubs

Old 07-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The Ted Bundy's and Henry Lee Lucas' of the world love women like you and ChiCubs
Don't know about the other lady, but, they wouldn't get near me. I AM city trained, and pretty mean when you corner me.

Remember John Wayne Gacy? Killed all those students and buried them under his house in Chicago? Yeah. Passed by his house almost every day going/coming to school. (high school) And, yes, it was in that time frame. I wouldn't have talked to that fool if he tried to talk to me (he didn't). Was raised in a part of the city where that was just not done. I was not soft like those other poor kids.

Besides, I don't live in fear. I am cautious, don't talk to anyone that I don't know and am aware of my surroundings at all times. Never answer my door unless I am expecting someone. Cautious, yes. But, not fearful. I know that God will protect me.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
The Ted Bundy's and Henry Lee Lucas' of the world love women like you
Women who drive by themselves? So because I have the independence to drive 12+ hrs, that means a serial killer is going to come after me? I'm pretty sure I would more likely be killed taking a bus or train then I would be driving alone in my car. I don't pick up hitchhikers, and I don't let strangers in my car. How exactly are these supposed killers going to get me? I find it sick and disgusting to claim that a woman who wants to drive by herself is going to end up raped and left to die.

Sorry that I'm not one of those people who are afraid of the world. Yes, I know there are bad people in the world and I need to be aware of my surroundings, but that does not mean I should be afraid for my life if I feel like visiting my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte