Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,981,796 times

Advertisements

1. Is the airport being run into the ground? - The city council has encumbered it with $820M of debt. Where did this money go?
  2. If the airport is doing so well why did the Mayor fire the head of the current airport authority this week?
  3. If Foxx & Company knew the outcome of the study why did they waste $150K of taxpayer money on it?
  4. Does study give city negotiating power wtih the GA? LOL No. The city has nothing it can negotiate with. A good mayor would realize this and instead traveled to the GA to lobby extensively for the city instead of wasting money on a pointless study. The speaker of the House and the governor are both residents of Mecklenburg county, yet they might as well be on the moon because Foxx seemingly won't have anything to do with them.
  5. The very public inquisition and firing of the manager of the current airport authority, who did nothing but say what the city's own study said, is evidence enough that the city plays politics with the operations of the airport. His firing was political as it had nothing to do with the running of the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,981,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
....They already knew the airport authority was gonna happen, but this gives them ammunition to push to modify the bill to place more representatives from the city regardless of political affiliation. After all, it is the CHARLOTTE airport...not bugtussle or rural counties.
Foxx was on TV last night and insulted the very people who might push for changes to the bill. I don't see it happening myself. It's already passed the senate and it's first reading in the house.

Who will be on the authority, i.e. is Charlotte/Mecklenburg underrepresented?
SECTION 4.(a) The Authority shall consist of 13 members. The appointing authorities are encouraged to appoint members who, when practical, have experience in aviation, logistics, construction and/or facilities management, law, accounting, and/or finance, except the appointing authorities under subdivisions (1) through (8) of this subsection may only appoint persons who have experience in aviation, transportation logistics, construction, and/or facilities management. The 13 members shall be appointed as follows:
  1. One shall be a registered voter of the City of Charlotte appointed by the Charlotte City Council.
  2. One shall be a registered voter of the City of Charlotte appointed by the Mayor of the City of Charlotte.
  3. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Mecklenburg appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Mecklenburg County.
  4. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Cabarrus appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Cabarrus County.
  5. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Gaston appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Gaston County.
  6. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Iredell appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Iredell County.
  7. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Lincoln appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Lincoln County.
  8. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Union appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Union County.
  9. One shall be (i) a registered voter in the State of North Carolina, (ii) a resident of the County of Mecklenburg, and (iii) appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
  10. One shall be (i) a registered voter in the State of North Carolina, (ii) a resident of the County of Mecklenburg, and (iii) appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
  11. One shall be (i) a registered voter in the State of North Carolina, (ii) a resident of the County of Mecklenburg, and (iii) appointed by the Governor of the State of North Carolina.
  12. Two at‑large members who shall be appointed by a majority vote of the other 11 members.
So of the 13 member committee, 6 must come from Charlotte/Mecklenburg. These six will have a majority vote on the two at large members. This gives the CLT/Meck group control over 8 of the 13 seats. I don't see where these claims that Charlotte/Mecklenburg won't have enough representation are warranted. In other words, it's nonsense from a city council & mayor.

What has changed is the Mayor won't be able to pull political stunts like he did this week with the public firing of the city airport authority manager.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,976,457 times
Quote:
What city are they running into the ground? Please provide some quantative data that supports your claim. The airport and city are doing well considering the recession that decimated the financial industry which was/is critical to the Charlotte bottom line.

You don't get it. Foxx and Co knew the outcome of the study. Meaning, the current model doesn't include enough Charlotte city representation and the state legislature wants the airport to be run by a bunch of state goobers and goomers. This is a recipe for disaster on a number of fronts.

They already knew the airport authority was gonna happen, but this gives them ammunition to push to modify the bill to place more representatives from the city regardless of political affiliation. After all, it is the CHARLOTTE airport...not bugtussle or rural counties.

Some of you guys are so caught-up in the bias (anti-Foxx and dems) business that you can't see the forest for the trees. The current airport authority model is not good for the city, regardless of who is mayor or the city council composition.
You and Feltdesigner have more credibility in your statements than most people on this board! Its amazing how people like to run Foxx in the ground like he was the second coming of Coleman Young! I bet you the people of Detroit would like to trade places with us right now! The issue with the airport authority is the fact that state is forcing the authority on Charlotte, where the state and surrounding counties get to decide who runs the airport, while Charlotte has less representation! If you think some politician who doesnt even live in Charlotte should have a say in how the city runs a business that is highly successful, it is beyond stupid! Furthermore, that report did favor an independant authority, not the one being forced by the state!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:05 AM

241 posts, read 304,604 times
Control of the airport needs to be in the hands of a "non-biased" committee concerned with not only the management of the airport, but the affects of the operation on both the city and state. Those currently in control presently are not capable of such a feat. They have not shown a capability of making sound decisions concerning management issues concerning our city. They do not need to be incontrol of our airport. Those currently in charge are not cohesive and are headed by Foxx who has proven to be dishonest and out for 'himself.' He is the same individual that wants the whole county to be the city of Charlotte so he can be the mayor of one of the top 10 largest cities in the U.S. He is also the same person that wanted to spend millions in mosaic village to drawl businesses that wouldn't dare go there because of crime and the same person that wants a trolly to JCS and Eastland Mall where all segments of the city wouldn't dare visit after sundown. That being said, I agree with frewroad.

We need serious, business minded people to run this large, growing airport. It's not just another stepping stone to D.C. It is part of the future of Charlotte. It can't be run by incompetents. Its existence concerns the citizens of Charlotte. The decision can't be be just another political game by Foxx, you know "my way or no way." We need an effectively run airport.

Someone said on the news the other night, "Charlotte doesn't need to **** off Raleigh." That is true. We need to work with them. They hold our money so to speak. It is important that we have an equatible number of reps on the airport committee and that concerns me, but we need a change. Even the airport manager agrees.

I just read the the city funded study on how best to run the airport recommended turning it over to an independent authority. This was another waste of our taxpayers money in this city.

Last edited by Ragnar Sigurdsson; 04-26-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,581,408 times
Now that an authority is in place, will Iredell, Gaston, Lincoln pay for future upgrades to airport and runways?

Also shouldnt Union and Cabarrus be on the authority? and York ?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,976,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Now that an authority is in place, will Iredell, Gaston, Lincoln pay for future upgrades to airport and runways?

Also shouldnt Union and Cabarrus be on the authority? and York ?
Yeah, enquiring minds would like to know!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,288,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Sigurdsson View Post
Control of the airport needs to be in the hands of a "non-biased" committee concerned with not only the management of the airport, but the affects of the operation on both the city and state. Those currently in control presently are not capable of such a feat. They have not shown a capability of making sound decisions concerning management issues concerning our city. They do not need to be incontrol of our airport. Those currently in charge are not cohesive and are headed by Foxx who has proven to be dishonest and out for 'himself.' He is the same individual that wants the whole county to be the city of Charlotte so he can be the mayor of one of the top 10 largest cities in the U.S. He is also the same person that wanted to spend millions in mosaic village to drawl businesses that wouldn't dare go there because of crime and the same person that wants a trolly to JCS and Eastland Mall where all segments of the city wouldn't dare visit after sundown. That being said, I agree with frewroad.

We need serious, business minded people to run this large, growing airport. It's not just another stepping stone to D.C. It is part of the future of Charlotte. It can't be run by incompetents. Its existence concerns the citizens of Charlotte. The decision can't be be just another political game by Foxx, you know "my way or no way." We need an effectively run airport.

Someone said on the news the other night, "Charlotte doesn't need to **** off Raleigh." That is true. We need to work with them. They hold our money so to speak. It is important that we have an equatible number of reps on the airport committee and that concerns me, but we need a change. Even the airport manager agrees.

I just read the the city funded study on how best to run the airport recommended turning it over to an independent authority. This was another waste of our taxpayers money in this city.
Again, this is anti-Foxx rheotric and has nothing to do with what's best for the city of Charlotte. The airport is run effectively, now. If an airport authority is put in place, it needs to have a much more Charlotte make-up and influence. In the end, Charlotte will have a republican mayor (I guess some day again), many republican city council members. Thus, the shoe will be on the other foot and folks wondering why doesn't Charlotte have more influence with deciding airport matters.

I think Foxx has done a fine job, of course your political affiliation will always disagree...fine. But don't let an anti-dem position be a detriment to the city. This entire process (authority) move is politically charged and driven by special interest (developers,etc) who gain to profit by having contacts within the organization.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,288,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Foxx was on TV last night and insulted the very people who might push for changes to the bill. I don't see it happening myself. It's already passed the senate and it's first reading in the house.

Who will be on the authority, i.e. is Charlotte/Mecklenburg underrepresented?

SECTION 4.(a) The Authority shall consist of 13 members. The appointing authorities are encouraged to appoint members who, when practical, have experience in aviation, logistics, construction and/or facilities management, law, accounting, and/or finance, except the appointing authorities under subdivisions (1) through (8) of this subsection may only appoint persons who have experience in aviation, transportation logistics, construction, and/or facilities management. The 13 members shall be appointed as follows:
  1. One shall be a registered voter of the City of Charlotte appointed by the Charlotte City Council.
  2. One shall be a registered voter of the City of Charlotte appointed by the Mayor of the City of Charlotte.
  3. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Mecklenburg appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Mecklenburg County.
  4. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Cabarrus appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Cabarrus County.
  5. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Gaston appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Gaston County.
  6. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Iredell appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Iredell County.
  7. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Lincoln appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Lincoln County.
  8. One shall be a registered voter of the County of Union appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Union County.
  9. One shall be (i) a registered voter in the State of North Carolina, (ii) a resident of the County of Mecklenburg, and (iii) appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
  10. One shall be (i) a registered voter in the State of North Carolina, (ii) a resident of the County of Mecklenburg, and (iii) appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
  11. One shall be (i) a registered voter in the State of North Carolina, (ii) a resident of the County of Mecklenburg, and (iii) appointed by the Governor of the State of North Carolina.
  12. Two at‑large members who shall be appointed by a majority vote of the other 11 members.
So of the 13 member committee, 6 must come from Charlotte/Mecklenburg. These six will have a majority vote on the two at large members. This gives the CLT/Meck group control over 8 of the 13 seats. I don't see where these claims that Charlotte/Mecklenburg won't have enough representation are warranted. In other words, it's nonsense from a city council & mayor.

What has changed is the Mayor won't be able to pull political stunts like he did this week with the public firing of the city airport authority manager.
Didn't the non-biased report that recommended an airport authority also indicate that model was flawed and needed more of a Charlotte influence. Nice try...but I gotcha. Clearly more Charlotte, not just Meck county.

I tend to side with subject matter experts and not some so-called internet forum guru.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM

15,357 posts, read 12,673,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
You and Feltdesigner have more credibility in your statements than most people on this board! Its amazing how people like to run Foxx in the ground like he was the second coming of Coleman Young! I bet you the people of Detroit would like to trade places with us right now! The issue with the airport authority is the fact that state is forcing the authority on Charlotte, where the state and surrounding counties get to decide who runs the airport, while Charlotte has less representation! If you think some politician who doesnt even live in Charlotte should have a say in how the city runs a business that is highly successful, it is beyond stupid! Furthermore, that report did favor an independant authority, not the one being forced by the state!
I don't know about all that but it's obvious some people despise Foxx...

Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM

241 posts, read 304,604 times
Quote:
Again, this is anti-Foxx rheotric and has nothing to do with what's best for the city of Charlotte. The airport is run effectively, now. If an airport authority is put in place, it needs to have a much more Charlotte make-up and influence. In the end, Charlotte will have a republican mayor (I guess some day again), many republican city council members. Thus, the shoe will be on the other foot and folks wondering why doesn't Charlotte have more influence with deciding airport matters.

I think Foxx has done a fine job, of course your political affiliation will always disagree...fine. But don't let an anti-dem position be a detriment to the city. This entire process (authority) move is politically charged and driven by special interest (developers,etc) who gain to profit by having contacts within the organization.
The only reason the airport has been so successful is the past years of professional management and the current guidance of Jerry Orr.

Your ridiculous asssumption that I am a republican is wrong and irrelevant as is most of your input. I am not a republican. I am just a hard working, partriotic American that believes in efficiency and frugality when it comes to management budgets. I am also an experienced executive manager that understands business and therefore am concerned with what is best for the place I live.

Charlotte did a fine job running the airport when Republicans dominated the city government. Now there are issues and it has been ruled that it is in the best interest of the future success of the airport that it be turned over to the state.

Of course politics are involved when it comes to contracts. Who doesn't know that? That is why during the DNC, Foxx agreed to allow prioritized contractural awards allowing minorities and union companies with workers from other states priority disregarding cost and documented performance records, thus discriminating against local non-union companies that didn't the race or union criteria. Fortunately, local outrage ended that process for the most part.

I vote for the candidate that has experience, education, and background needed to be successful. If I ever see a democrat that fits that category, I will have no problem voting for him/her if his/her heart is in the best interest of the city and not some personal agenda. That applies to republican candidates as well. In the meanwhile, I will sit back as an independent and vote for the person with those attributes disregarding party affiliation, race, or other unimportant factors. I am a supporter of employing most suitable person for the person regardless of the above characteristics. That makes me a firm supporter of EEO. Additionally, I oppose keeping minimally functional managers in positions just to maintain a status quo. In reality, that makes me the 'progressive.'

So, get used to it. The airport will be in better hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte