Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 38,110 times

Advertisements

So my update to original post is that we have crossed off building a new house. As first timers, I don't know that we will have the time or money for it.

DH is now thinking that we will have to pay 2 state taxes if we live in SC and he works in NC. Don't know the facts on this though..... so we are mostly narrowing things down to Gaston County, NC.

Most importantly, which I am ASTOUNDED that no one has chimed in: NO HOA subdivisions in Gaston county, anyone?

I mean seriously - I have discovered 2 (Keltic Meadows, in Gastonia, and Shady Oaks in Stanley). I can't find any research indicating that there are others. Only private property owners who own their own land....and if they do, they are not sellin.

Is there a list pre-made that I missed on this forum? Has no one ever really come across or asked this before? I could really use a helping hand here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:15 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
I'd be shocked if you find anything remotely close to what you are looking for. You need to create a list of what you want, in order of priority, and start crossing off requirements from the bottom until you can find a compromise you can deal with. I'd strongly recommend putting no HOA at the bottom of that list, otherwise you're going to go nowhere fast.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM

314 posts, read 675,908 times
I don't know of a pre-made list and there is no way in our MLS to sort properties that don't have an HOA (wish they did) but what you could do is have a real estate agent set up a search based on your criteria and there is a section that does tell you if the property is subject to an HOA. Then you can just mark the ones that don't have one as Favorites and Reject the ones that do and create your own list.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
and people thought I was being rude when I implied that what was being asked for just didn't exist.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenmellybee View Post
So my update to original post is that we have crossed off building a new house. As first timers, I don't know that we will have the time or money for it.

DH is now thinking that we will have to pay 2 state taxes if we live in SC and he works in NC. Don't know the facts on this though..... so we are mostly narrowing things down to Gaston County, NC.

Most importantly, which I am ASTOUNDED that no one has chimed in: NO HOA subdivisions in Gaston county, anyone?

I mean seriously - I have discovered 2 (Keltic Meadows, in Gastonia, and Shady Oaks in Stanley). I can't find any research indicating that there are others. Only private property owners who own their own land....and if they do, they are not sellin.

Is there a list pre-made that I missed on this forum? Has no one ever really come across or asked this before? I could really use a helping hand here. Thanks!
If you don't want HOA neighborhoods, look for older homes. There are plenty.

I still don't understand the logic of being willing to commute from Clover to Charlotte but not Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain ups the odds of finding non-HOA housing.

I'm not sure what you're looking for that owners are not selling.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Default To clarify

To clarify we are not necessarily wanting to commute from Clover - not inner Clover that is. NE Clover/Lake Wylie is as far West as we can go - a straight shot to Arrowood Road by taking Hwy 49 out to freeway; with traffic is usually 45 min commute. Kings Mountain/Crowders' Mountain via I-85 morning traffic, and then 485 south will be def more than that - therefore not in our consideration.

I was never trying in any way to come across rude, and I hate that I would ever be accused of that. Urgency of knowledge is of the essence in my and many people's cross-State-move situations.......... So "astonishment" that there is no information out there, or no one who has it to share, is not rudeness...... just a surprised state of being. My sarcasm in the post was not at anyone on these forums - but at the lack of information available that there are for other cities, counties, etc. But it's Gaston County - so I shouldn't have expected a lot, hahaha.
My use of bold was to grab people's attention to the subject matter of importance - not haughtiness. Sorry to anyone if anything came off as bluntness. I am just one of many looking for information from those willing to share and constantly meeting melodrama instead. Thank you to those who cut to the chase or ask questions to just give information in kindness for information sharing's sake.

As for what I am looking for not existing, I already have 4+ properties lined up to tour that would contradict that notion. Unfortunately they might be 20 min outside reasonable commute distance....... but they absolutely exist. We're gonna check them out and test the commute - I personally pray they work out.
So I think it's unfair to offer the suggestions that A) They don't exist - move on OR that B) A couple should take their highest priority and dump it. There are properties that fit our needs, maybe not someone else's - that just are not be for sale right this second.

As it is, we are having to consider HOA neighborhoods due to lack of options, but with discernment for the particulars of each HOA. It does broaden our search, but we are not going to settle for anything less than the perfect property for our needs and long term hopes. If we have to live in an apartment and wait - we will wait. I would rather see if the right one opens up, than settle for something neither of us really wanted.

The good news is our budget is a good bit $$ than I estimated, so what we can afford should increase our prospects. It just seems at the moment that properties with .8+ acreage in Lowell/Belmont/Cramerton/Mt Holly area, that are newer Brick homes are hard to come by. And my reason for tight parameters, if I hadn't stated already is medical issues. I need to be close to my family (in the above areas) in case of emergency. Moving outward is just not an option.

I remain optimistic despite discouragement

Last edited by Queenmellybee; 03-11-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM

279 posts, read 544,406 times
Have you looked around York?

Old 03-11-2014, 02:58 PM

There are some definite properties in York that fit the criteria, but we had a family member do (as a nice favor) the commute to Arrowood Road, and it was 50+ min. I can't make my husband do that every day and hope there is no traffic. If you meant York via Rock hill, than the further South we go... the further from my family we are - so they negate each other.

It's tough I know! The ONLY reason we are considering NE Clover/Lake Wylie is because we lived there over the summer and we know it can be done - but 45 min work commute is the limit, and it's not the best option, but there ARE some non HOA properties in that area that are nice. Our family can reach us in under 25 minutes there. It's such a small sliver of SC to look into, so that sucks.

As for Fort Mill/Tega Cay/Pineville, etc. we had to give up on that. Because although it is MUCH closer to Arrowood - it is therefore farther from our family in Lowell/Cramerton. If I needed medical help 45+ minutes for my family to get to me is not really purposeful.

We are working with a realtor assigned to us by my DH relocating service and she is AWESOME. She is confident that we can find what we are looking for (HOA or not) and she is willing to wait for the right one to pop up too. So that is a huge relief

Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,815 times
Here is one option that meets all of your criteria I believe:
507 Birnamwood Court, Fort Mill SC - Trulia

This subdivision (Foxwood) has no HOA, was built in the mid 80s, and the lots are above .5 acres.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
HOA protect communities. I would suggest you buy a lot that is not in a community; most communities in the areas you are looking in have HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte