Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 AM

136 posts, read 106,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
Personally I have nothing against her, I don't know her so I have no axe to grind. Being I am from a former law enforcement background I take obeying the law seriously. I keep going back to the disclaimer that she acknowledged with her signature that under penalty of perjury she swore she did not file nor was she reimbursed by any other entity for the same expense. She signed that disclaimer on multiple occasions so the "I didn't know I couldn't do this" just doesn't cut it with me. I'm just looking at it from angle alone. She now apparently admits (according to the CO article) that she has done this multiple times not as the one time that she tried to play off in the BOE meeting. I have a problem with that, had she stood up then and said, I'm sorry but I've done this more than once and I'll reimburse the state or county, took responsibility for her actions instead of saying "I didn't know" maybe my view might be different, I don't know. I certainly couldn't claim I didn't know if I signed off on an expense report multiple times with that disclaimer right above my signature, but that's just me.

ETA: forgot to answer your question. Right now, if I was in her district and if it was found there was no illegality, I still might ask her to resign. Why? Because I'd have a hard time with trust after all this.

UC, you are in law enforcement….seriously, thank you for your service to the community you serve. Tough job….question, in your capacity, have you ever pulled over a motorist on a traffic stop (speeding, running stop sign, etc) and the offending motorist flashed his/her PBA card or identify themselves as on the job or perhaps related to someone who is? Did you give that person a "professional courtesy"? should i then take it as you were blatantly disregarding your duties as a law enforcement officer? That would be kind of narrow minded, don't you think? My point is when you say you are just looking at it from that angle alone, not open to considering any other circumstances…..But again, you are entitled to your opinion

Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Savage is lousy at the position and impossible to work with because she has too much on her plate (State BOE)? Anyone ever consider it's that simple? To me, it is.

So "her supporters" can think whatever they like - she was against redistricting, etc... it doesn't matter - she is useless to actually do anything. She was re-elected because she says the right things and the majority of her constituents like her as a person. Heck, she probably is a good person. Yet, she is unable to work within the constraints of her position and elicit any change she talks about or what the people who voted for her want. It's a hollow seat.

Illegal double dipping or a mistake... either reason is justified to step down because she can't do the job. Period.
Mikey….you speak in such absolutes….How can you possibly know she has too much on her plate? do you work for her? are you even in District 6?

What makes you say she is "useless to actually do anything"…..based on what?
"she is unable to work within the constraints of her position"….again, what evidence do you have that she cannot do this? Or is it your contention that because the redistricting plan passed, anyone who opposed it should be removed and replaced with people who just "go along"?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM

124 posts, read 162,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
UC, you are in law enforcement….seriously, thank you for your service to the community you serve. Tough job….question, in your capacity, have you ever pulled over a motorist on a traffic stop (speeding, running stop sign, etc) and the offending motorist flashed his/her PBA card or identify themselves as on the job or perhaps related to someone who is? Did you give that person a "professional courtesy"? should i then take it as you were blatantly disregarding your duties as a law enforcement officer? That would be kind of narrow minded, don't you think? My point is when you say you are just looking at it from that angle alone, not open to considering any other circumstances…..But again, you are entitled to your opinion
Lol, I never gave anyone a pass. I arrested a well known Sheriff at the time for DUI, I was pressured from all sorts of angles to destroy that ticket, to turn a blind eye, to give a "professional courtesy" as you call it, that Sheriff wound up losing his license for 6 months and paying a hefty fine.

She signed the form, it's in black and white above her signature, there's no avoiding that, period (in my mind).

Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
UC, you are in law enforcement….seriously, thank you for your service to the community you serve.
Thank you, but I'm no longer in law enforcement, this was many moons ago.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
Lol, I never gave anyone a pass. I arrested a well known Sheriff at the time for DUI, I was pressured from all sorts of angles to destroy that ticket, to turn a blind eye, to give a "professional courtesy" as you call it, that Sheriff wound up losing his license for 6 months and paying a hefty fine.

She signed the form, it's in black and white above her signature, there's no avoiding that, period (in my mind).
i will take you at your word that you NEVER gave anyone a pass….my point is, she isn't denying that she signed the forms. She said she didn't know. I guess in your mind you have to decide was it a mistake or she willfully tried to deceive and steal….sounds like you are already decided on that based on one angle

Old 11-21-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Make of this what you will.
Bubba, did she ever deny signing the forms? i don't think anyone here, both supporters and detractors, tried to claim that her signature was forged….I don't know where you are going with that post

Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
i will take you at your word that you NEVER gave anyone a pass….my point is, she isn't denying that she signed the forms. She said she didn't know. I guess in your mind you have to decide was it a mistake or she willfully tried to deceive and steal….sounds like you are already decided on that based on one angle
I'm afraid so. If I sign a piece of paper stating I will not do something and I turn around and do it anyway then I expect to be held accountable, just as I expect any other adult who put their signature on the dotted line to do. At the end of the day if you give me your word that you're not going to do something and you do it anyway then I no longer can trust your word, but that's just me. If I can't trust your word then how can I possibly trust you will keep the best interest of the kids in mind? But again, that's just me and my opinion and like I said earlier, lol.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:39 AM

11 posts, read 12,650 times
Quote:
How can ANYONE say they "didn't know" when the statement is on EVERY NC State expense form she submitted?! Not buying that one unless she only submitted ONE form to the state that she filed a duplicate for in Union County? Do we know now if that was the case, or will we find out that it was more than a one-time occurrence (the only excuse any taxpayer should accept for a "mistake" that she "didn't know" wasn't appropriate?)

I think we'll have wait to find out on Tuesday if what they found in the investigation is the same as what was attested to in the meeting on 11/6. Can someone commit perjury as a Board Member speaking on record in a BOE meeting?

Sounds to me like what was alluded to in the CO article was that it was MUCH more than $35. Which, when teaching a child right from wrong, doesn't matter how much was stolen...at least that's what I'd hope.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:40 AM

549 posts, read 680,490 times
Quote:
Bubba, did she ever deny signing the forms? i don't think anyone here, both supporters and detractors, tried to claim that her signature was forged….I don't know where you are going with that post
I'm going with signing that statement knowing a request for reimbursement is submitted to another entity would be perjury per the statement itself.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I'm going with signing that statement knowing a request for reimbursement is submitted to another entity would be perjury per the statement itself.
Bubba, i am going to try to keep up with what you like to do with your cut and pastes:

per·ju·ry
ˈpərj(ə)rē/
nounLAW
the offense of willfully telling an untruth in a court after having taken an oath or affirmation.

her signature alone does not constitute perjuring herself….perjury has to have a "willful intent" behind it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte