Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 07:57 AM

124 posts, read 161,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Both sides are wrong, however neither will give an inch and admit it.

She was wrong for double dipping, even though it was only $35. Her supporters will find some type of excuse to say "its not illegal", however anyone in business (or especially a public official) knows what she did was morally wrong and should ask for forgiveness to move on.

The board members have an axe to grind w/her however and are going to push this to unreasonable limits (ie spend $5K on the investigation). That is wrong IMO also.

If people (ON BOTH SIDES) acted mature and reasonable and put aside their egos even for ONE MINUTE, there would be a resolution w/o needing to spew hatred on facebook and all other forms of social media like this.

I'm sure people will respond and try to justify a spin on a response, but there is no excuse for either side on this matter.

lets keep this civil and move on to what actually matters...the kids.
I agree to some point, however we're not talking about $35 anymore, even Savage admits in the Observer article that it was less than a $1000. If it's over a $1000 we're talking about a felony here. She had the opportunity to admit to all of it at the last BOE but she didn't, she played it off like it was only the $35. The article states that this occurred on multiple occasions. Now where they are getting their info I guess we'll find that out come Tuesday. However, each and every time she signed an expense form for the state BOE that disclaimer is above every single signature, saying under the penalty of perjury she has not file nor been reimbursed by any other entity. Her claims of not knowing she couldn't file and be reimbursed by two separate parties rings hollow, it's stated right above her signature.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 AM

136 posts, read 106,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I'm no attorney, but I question that claim.

N.C.G.S. § 14-100. Obtaining property by false pretenses.
(a) If any person shall knowingly and designedly……...

So now you want to infer that she is outright lying? that she didn't make a mistake (which she has already owned up to and apologized for)

Old 11-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
So now you want to infer that she is outright lying? that she didn't make a mistake (which she has already owned up to and apologized for)
It's really hard for me and I'm sure others to buy into it was an "honest mistake" when the disclaimer on the state BOE form right above her signature clearly states in black and white that under the penalty of perjury that she has NOT filed NOR has she been reimbursed for the same expense by any other entity. The Observer article alludes to the fact that this happened on multiple occasions which she apparently agrees with as she now states it was under a $1000 and not the $35 that everyone keeps loving to toss around. It was NOT an "honest mistake".

Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
It's really hard for me and I'm sure others to buy into it was an "honest mistake" when the disclaimer on the state BOE form right above her signature clearly states in black and white that under the penalty of perjury that she has NOT filed NOR has she been reimbursed for the same expense by any other entity. The Observer article alludes to the fact that this happened on multiple occasions which she apparently agrees with as she now states it was under a $1000 and not the $35 that everyone keeps loving to toss around. It was NOT an "honest mistake".
What would you suggest the outcome should be? Her constituents have made it clear that they want her on the BOE and that they don't give a rip whether it was a mistake or not, so where does that leave us?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
What would you suggest the outcome should be? Her constituents have made it clear that they want her on the BOE and that they don't give a rip whether it was a mistake or not, so where does that leave us?

I think it being handed off to law enforcement was the proper action to take, let the chips fall where they may. I also think it's a sad lesson to teach to children that it's ok to steal if it's just a tiny little bit. I'm not in her district but if I was I'd be asking for her to resign her position but that's just my opinion and we all know what those are, lol.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 AM

136 posts, read 106,237 times
Quote:
I think it being handed off to law enforcement was the proper action to take, let the chips fall where they may. I also think it's a sad lesson to teach to children that it's ok to steal if it's just a tiny little bit. I'm not in her district but if I was I'd be asking for her to resign her position but that's just my opinion and we all know what those are, lol.
UC, you are entitled to your opinion….thats cool. If i can ask, if the investigation turns out that she is cleared and she didn't do anything legally wrong and it was a mistake, would you personally still call for her resignation? I am just trying to figure out if you perhaps have that axe to grind or if your views are that puritanical?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 AM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
Quote:
Perjury is a pretty big nono in my book. Anyway, that's where the law is coming into it I think. Here's the link:

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...qCN.So.138.pdf
N.C.G.S.§ 14-209. Punishment for perjury.
If any person shall willfully and corruptly commit perjury, on his oath or affirmation, in any suit, controversy, matter or cause, depending in any of the courts of the State, or in any deposition or affidavit taken pursuant to law, or in any oath or affirmation duly administered of or concerning any matter or thing whereof such person is lawfully required to be sworn or affirmed, every person so offending shall be punished as a Class F felon. (1791, c. 338, s. 1, P.R.; R.C., c. 34, s. 49; Code, s. 1092; Rev., s. 3615; C.S., s. 4364; 1979, c. 760, s. 5; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1316, s. 47; 1981, c. 63, s.1, c. 179, s. 14; 1993, c. 539, s. 1202; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Old 11-21-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
UC, you are entitled to your opinion….thats cool. If i can ask, if the investigation turns out that she is cleared and she didn't do anything legally wrong and it was a mistake, would you personally still call for her resignation? I am just trying to figure out if you perhaps have that axe to grind or if your views are that puritanical?
Personally I have nothing against her, I don't know her so I have no axe to grind. Being I am from a former law enforcement background I take obeying the law seriously. I keep going back to the disclaimer that she acknowledged with her signature that under penalty of perjury she swore she did not file nor was she reimbursed by any other entity for the same expense. She signed that disclaimer on multiple occasions so the "I didn't know I couldn't do this" just doesn't cut it with me. I'm just looking at it from angle alone. She now apparently admits (according to the CO article) that she has done this multiple times not as the one time that she tried to play off in the BOE meeting. I have a problem with that, had she stood up then and said, I'm sorry but I've done this more than once and I'll reimburse the state or county, took responsibility for her actions instead of saying "I didn't know" maybe my view might be different, I don't know. I certainly couldn't claim I didn't know if I signed off on an expense report multiple times with that disclaimer right above my signature, but that's just me.

ETA: forgot to answer your question. Right now, if I was in her district and if it was found there was no illegality, I still might ask her to resign. Why? Because I'd have a hard time with trust after all this.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Savage is lousy at the position and impossible to work with because she has too much on her plate (State BOE)? Anyone ever consider it's that simple? To me, it is.

So "her supporters" can think whatever they like - she was against redistricting, etc... it doesn't matter - she is useless to actually do anything. She was re-elected because she says the right things and the majority of her constituents like her as a person. Heck, she probably is a good person. Yet, she is unable to work within the constraints of her position and elicit any change she talks about or what the people who voted for her want. It's a hollow seat.

Illegal double dipping or a mistake... either reason is justified to step down because she can't do the job. Period.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
Quote:
Make of this what you will.
Attached Thumbnails
UC - School board redistricting suporters lose-10816982_10204508576587051_215308056_o.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte