Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 10:21 AM

161 posts, read 194,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
The story in the observer seems to do a great job of summarizing last nights discussion.
I really had hoped Yercheck, Pigg, and Hodges would leave on a positive note after what has transpired over the last couple years. Unfortunately I was very wrong. I agree with Waldokitty, if she broke the law send it to the authorities. If not, shut up and move on. This turned into a long drawn out public shaming that just screamed "personal vendettas". Very sad when you consider this is a school board. If only Stewart, Colllins, and Helms put that much energy into working for the greater good of our schools and students as they do carrying out attacks on Savage. Stewart is a joke, he is a loud mouth bully and a complete embarrassment. Collins pulls his strings behind the scenes. He is much smarter and more calculated, it's obvious who is the smarter of the two. Helms has sat there silent for the past two years, and has brought nothing to the table. She often looks confused and zoned out. Bention was the only voice of reason, sorry to see that man go. Nothing against Harrell, she seems extremely level headed and intelligent. I wish we could have both of them n the new board.

The real story of the night was the capping of NTES. Oops! They screwed this one up big time, and Savage called them out. She made Web and Ellis look like fools. When will Ellis get her facts straight and come prepared for a meeting? "I don't have those numbers" is getting very old.

At the end of the day this is just more nonsense and drama by this bunch. Incompetence and childish behavior at it's best (or worst). Hopefully the 4 new members will be the adults at the table and can reign this in and get this board back on track. Time to move on for the sake of our county and UCPS.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:00 PM

97 posts, read 129,880 times
Rancher..I couldn't agree with you more. Ellis and Co are a complete embarrassment to UC and completely inept. If the spent half of their lawsuit loving energy, manipulation, money and attacking plans and behavior and turned it towards positive ways, our school system could stand a fighting chance of being respected. However, all they do is destroy the reputation of the schools, themselves and the county.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 AM

451 posts, read 712,187 times
For all those "conservative republicans" out there championing "Accountability" and "Transparency" in the UC and still whining about the BOE, UCPS, Ellis, Webb, redistricting, New Town capping, etc., I missed the outrage on this one of course...

Lame ducks guarantee Coto a half million | The Enquirer Journal

Lame ducks guarantee Coto a half million
Nov. 08, 2014 @ 02:58 PM
Heather Smith

MONROE — The Union County Board of Commissioners extended the contract of County Manager Cindy Coto and added an amendment which would award her more than $500,000 in severance if she is fired without cause.

Commissioners passed the changes during a special meeting Thursday morning. The actual severance amount would vary depending on when the commission chose to terminate her...

http://sire-cntl-vid01.siretechnolog...NG/270/270.wmv

Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 AM

549 posts, read 679,755 times
Trust me, I'm outraged by all of this which started with Rushing's attempted coup (which may have been successful) of the BOCC that began when he turned his back on his supporters and aligned with CAPS and Scribe's crowd. As a parting gift for Vice Chairman Stony, the new BOCC's hands will be tied in regards to county management unless they are willing to incur taxpayer wrath over the half a million dollar termination clause.

It was always a power play for BOCC control and was never really about getting Maher elected.

And the games continue...

Enquirer Journal Letters to the Editor Sunday, November 9, 2014

OUR MESSAGE OF WORKING TOGETHER TOOK THE TOP VOTE
We are humbled and overwhelmed by the trust the Union County voters have placed in us to improve how business is done in Union County. Working together we can put less emphasis on turning out voters and more emphasis on turning out great ideas. I am excited to work with Jerry Simpson, a man who I have known and respected for many years and Lance Simpson, a solid and intelligent man who wants to bring unity to our county. Along with fellow commissioners Frank Aikmus and Richard Helms I am hopeful we can have many years of putting our citizens first.

In this election we saw the farmers agree that by "putting children first our best days are ahead of us." The families in the west are holding the school board accountable for spending and we have a democrat elected in an at-large BOE race. It is time we take advantage of this good will and as one of your 5 county commissioners I look forward to serving you.

Stony Rushing
County Commissioner-Elect
http://www.enquirerjournal.com/

Old 11-10-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Trust me, I'm outraged by all of this which started with Rushing's attempted coup (which may have been successful) of the BOCC that began when he turned his back on his supporters and aligned with CAPS and Scribe's crowd. As a parting gift for Vice Chairman Stony, the new BOCC's hands will be tied in regards to county management unless they are willing to incur taxpayer wrath over the half a million dollar termination clause.

It was always a power play for BOCC control and was never really about getting Maher elected.

We are humbled and overwhelmed by the trust the Union County voters have placed in us to improve how business is done in Union County. Working together we can put less emphasis on turning out voters and more emphasis on turning out great ideas. I am excited to work with Jerry Simpson, a man who I have known and respected for many years and Lance Simpson, a solid and intelligent man who wants to bring unity to our county. Along with fellow commissioners Frank Aikmus and Richard Helms I am hopeful we can have many years of putting our citizens first.

In this election we saw the farmers agree that by "putting children first our best days are ahead of us." The families in the west are holding the school board accountable for spending and we have a democrat elected in an at-large BOE race. It is time we take advantage of this good will and as one of your 5 county commissioners I look forward to serving you.

Stony Rushing
Enquirer-Journal | The Enquirer Journal
Bubba forgive me but it sounds a bit personal with you. Why in the world would you care about Stony Rushing working with all citizens? Isn't that what he was elected to do? Please tell me you are not affiliated with those women on Facebook from Waxhaw who are stalking him? Seriously

Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
For all those "conservative republicans" out there championing "Accountability" and "Transparency" in the UC and still whining about the BOE, UCPS, Ellis, Webb, redistricting, New Town capping, etc., I missed the outrage on this one of course...

Lame ducks guarantee Coto a half million | The Enquirer Journal

Lame ducks guarantee Coto a half million
Nov. 08, 2014 @ 02:58 PM
Heather Smith

MONROE — The Union County Board of Commissioners extended the contract of County Manager Cindy Coto and added an amendment which would award her more than $500,000 in severance if she is fired without cause.

Commissioners passed the changes during a special meeting Thursday morning. The actual severance amount would vary depending on when the commission chose to terminate her...

http://sire-cntl-vid01.siretechnolog...NG/270/270.wmv
Disappointed but not surprised in the least. Coto's golded parachute was a given, one last parting gift from Thomas and Johnson. Because underfunding our schools and getting the taxpayers sued for $91 million wasn't enough for this board.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 AM

136 posts, read 181,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post

Stony Rushing
Enquirer-Journal | The Enquirer Journal
I suppose Rushing just announced his hopeful coalition via the EJ LtE: Stony, Lance, "Along with fellow commissioners Frank Aikmus and Richard Helms I am hopeful...". If he can't pull one of those guys in, he will just be "one of your 5 county commissioners."

I'm sure we can expect to see "less emphasis on turning out voters," read: cue the pivot away from courting CAPS. He may be a little sore from turning out all those angry voters and taking "THE TOP VOTE," but not winning the trust of fellow commissioners enough to win chairmanship.

For a little background on the golden-parachute power-play, I'll let Rushing's original stalker (and temporary ally) fill you in:
Village Scribe '06

Last edited by waxhawdoc; 11-11-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 PM

631 posts, read 892,040 times
Well it looks like the dust has settled from the election. With extra time on their hands the bubble people needed to find something else to complain about. The Ask The Candidate page is blowing up today. It was bad enough that their sheltered bubble life was burst with redistricting and having to attend "those" schools. Now the bigger bubble is under attack because their kids have to learn about the great big real global world. That would be learning the basics of other religions. So terrifying!!!!!

Now of course this has to be the BOEs fault. It's the only way it fits within the caps narrative. I feel bad for their kids. They won't have any idea how the real world works when they are on their own.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:22 AM

527 posts, read 744,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Well it looks like the dust has settled from the election. With extra time on their hands the bubble people needed to find something else to complain about. The Ask The Candidate page is blowing up today. It was bad enough that their sheltered bubble life was burst with redistricting and having to attend "those" schools. Now the bigger bubble is under attack because their kids have to learn about the great big real global world. That would be learning the basics of other religions. So terrifying!!!!!

Now of course this has to be the BOEs fault. It's the only way it fits within the caps narrative. I feel bad for their kids. They won't have any idea how the real world works when they are on their own.
It's using terms like "conservative republicans" (in a derogatory way) and "bubble people" that continues to get these threads shut down.

By the way, if you think the way islam is being taught in our schools is an innocent approach to "the great big real global world" then you aren't paying attention. I don't mind my kids learning about different cultures and having some diversity in their lives but if you are going to teach them about islam let's not skip the sharia law part and the impact that it has on women.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 AM

631 posts, read 892,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
It's using terms like "conservative republicans" (in a derogatory way) and "bubble people" that continues to get these threads shut down.
Thanks Mike. Good and fair point. I was going after the sheltered aspect and it came across the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
By the way, if you think the way islam is being taught in our schools is an innocent approach to "the great big real global world" then you aren't paying attention. I don't mind my kids learning about different cultures and having some diversity in their lives but if you are going to teach them about islam let's not skip the sharia law part and the impact that it has on women.
Also agree, but you can't discuss the later without the former. It's not like this isn't readily available on the news any given day, so I'm glad they're covering the basics on the major religions. It helps to frame up the rest of the history (both the good and the bad). It just baffles me how people miss the irony when they worry about "indoctrination" from a small class exercise, yet want to close off any information that clashes with their opinion.

Either way, I've been reading about stories like this for weeks across the country. It's obviously not a UC only curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte