Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2021, 02:32 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Raleigh and Richmond were stretching it for Wegmans. Their distribution center is in northern Pennsylvania.

Wegmans procured land for a new distribution center near Richmond. Charlotte is off the table until after the new distribution center is built.
Ahhh...ok...that makes sense. I just think it would be a great fit for Charlotte. The one's in the Raleigh area appear to be doing very well. Just about everyone I knows loves them (as do I)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 02:48 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
Quote:
I went into the Publix in Gastonia. It was OK, but the prices were high. I go to Ingles. The prices are much better thab Publix and the quality is much better than Food Lion.
I agree. I think Publix is expensive for just normal supermarket food. It is a clean and decent store though. On customer service... I often just use self check-out and am completely happy to not speak to a single person in the supermarket. There to get in and out, not social time.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:05 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Raleigh and Richmond were stretching it for Wegmans. Their distribution center is in northern Pennsylvania.

Wegmans procured land for a new distribution center near Richmond. Charlotte is off the table until after the new distribution center is built.
As previously discussed, a WSOC news report by Joe Bruno predicted Wegmans would be coming to Charlotte sooner than later. But it does seem to depend upon recovery from the pandemic and supply chain issues including the new distribution center. But the demograpics and demand is there.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:09 PM

Since he is from Philly, I would also like to see Joe Bruno investigate the possibility of Wawa coming to the Charlotte region. However, there is supposedly some sort of agreement with QuikTrip that they will not expand into each others territory. But this may require further investigation.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Since he is from Philly, I would also like to see Joe Bruno investigate the possibility of Wawa coming to the Charlotte region. However, there is supposedly some sort of agreement with QuikTrip that they will not expand into each others territory. But this may require further investigation.
I doubt that there is an agreement with Quick Trip. If there's an agreement with anyone it's Sheetz.
Sheetz and Wawa are Pennsylvania companies. Quick Trip is from Oklahoma.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:22 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
It is a huge internet rumor is that there are formal agreements among convenience stores to not expand into each other's territories. Even a hand-shake agreement that isn't on paper would be completely illegal and if it was a rumor the general public knew about, you can bet the Federal Trade Commission would know about it too. If somebody was high enough up at these firms to have inside knowledge of an illegal agreement and was a whistleblower to the "internet", they also would have been a whistleblower to the actual enforcement agencies that would have a field day if this was true.

Agreeing to not compete in order to allow each other to protect market share is completely illegal under Antitrust Laws such as the Sherman Antirust Act. You cannot allocate markets via collusion. Now, if Sheetz decided on their own they couldn't profitably expand into the Charlotte market due to saturation from more established players, that is totally fine. If Quick Trip didn't think their product could compete against Sheetz by moving north and that they would not profitably steal market share away, that is completely fine. The second people from the two companies talk or make any agreement... VERY illegal. VERY.

If there was some sort of agreement, that's exactly what Joe Bruno should investigate. Taking these companies down for antitrust would be a much bigger national story than whether they are interested in expanding. It would be front page of the Wall Street Journal type of news. There just isn't a story there cause it isn't true.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/comp...et-division-or

Last edited by CLT4; 07-15-2021 at 06:36 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
It is a huge internet rumor is that there are formal agreements among convenience stores to not expand into each other's territories. Even a hand-shake agreement that isn't on paper would be completely illegal and if it was a rumor the general public knew about, you can bet the Federal Trade Commission would know about it too. If somebody was high enough up at these firms to have inside knowledge of an illegal agreement and was a whistleblower to the "internet", they also would have been a whistleblower to the actual enforcement agencies that would have a field day if this was true.

Agreeing to not compete in order to allow each other to protect market share is completely illegal under Antitrust Laws such as the Sherman Antirust Act. You cannot allocate markets via collusion. Now, if Sheetz decided on their own they couldn't profitably expand into the Charlotte market due to saturation from more established players, that is totally fine. If Quick Trip didn't think their product could compete against Sheetz by moving north and that they would not profitably steal market share away, that is completely fine. The second people from the two companies talk or make any agreement... VERY illegal. VERY.

If there was some sort of agreement, that's exactly what Joe Bruno should investigate. Taking these companies down for antitrust would be a much bigger national story than whether they are interested in expanding. It would be front page of the Wall Street Journal type of news. There just isn't a story there cause it isn't true.

I don't think that Sheetz and Wawa have a formal agreement, even in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania divides west to east. Unlike North Carolina, the population centers are in the east and west (Philadelphia and Pittsburgh) Sheetz and Wawa have managed to avoid each other there. I think that the problem in North Carolina is that Sheetz got into the northern part of the state.

I don't think that Wawa wants to drive through Sheetz territory to get to Charlotte. Wawa is headquartered west of Philadelphia. I don't think that they understand that there is a market for hoagies in the Charlotte area because of the mill workers who came down in the 60s and 70s.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Ahhh...ok...that makes sense. I just think it would be a great fit for Charlotte. The one's in the Raleigh area appear to be doing very well. Just about everyone I knows loves them (as do I)
Look on a map and see where Pottsville, Pennsylvania is. That's the location of the distribution center. It makes sense when you look at the distance. The new distribution center will serve stores in Virginia and North Carolina, possibly Maryland..it really doesn't matter how many people in the Charlotte area would like to shop at Wegmans. It's just too far from Pottsville.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Saw a facebook post claiming Lowes Foods is taking over the closed Earth Fare location off Gilead Rd in Huntersville

Old 07-17-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post

Perhaps I have been stating this incorrectly. Because I have had numerous Wawa and QuikTrip managers tell me they share a common board of directors or some sort of common ownership. If that is the case, maybe it is just a matter of they decided not to overlap their brands. Rather than some sort of noncompete agreement which you explain is technically illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte