Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,537 times

Advertisements

I think that many are still missing the "point" behind the culture question. To me, it's not about the cultural norms/mores, etc that exist in the Charlotte region. To that extent, I'd agree with the friendly and family-friendly aspects.

If I was asking about culture, I'd be asking about culture as it applies primarily to the arts scene...be it larger scale (syphonies, plays, musicals, opera, etc) or more local (indepedent art galleries, street festivals, live jazz/blues/fill-in-the-blank in bars/clubs, etc) I think that they are two very different questions, and has nothing to do with whether Charlotte is "Southern-feeling" or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 09:14 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
I think that many are still missing the "point" behind the culture question. To me, it's not about the cultural norms/mores, etc that exist in the Charlotte region. To that extent, I'd agree with the friendly and family-friendly aspects.

If I was asking about culture, I'd be asking about culture as it applies primarily to the arts scene...be it larger scale (syphonies, plays, musicals, opera, etc) or more local (indepedent art galleries, street festivals, live jazz/blues/fill-in-the-blank in bars/clubs, etc) I think that they are two very different questions, and has nothing to do with whether Charlotte is "Southern-feeling" or not.
I think your perspective is certainly valid, but just one facet of the question that's posed when people ask about the culture or completely dismiss it. Yes, culture does envelop the local liberal arts scene, but it also envelops the local demographic makeup and the traditions the local population displays.

No, Charlotte does not have The Met, but we are growing and evolving into a dynamic cultural city. Blumenthal continues to bring Tony Award winning shows to Ovens and Belk, and the Charlotte Symphony is no high school band. Let me ask you, have you been to any of the "Concerts on the Green" in various towns of Charlotte, including Pops in the Park at Southpark? Have you been to any of the Blues and BBQ festivals? What sort of events have you attended in the past year?

My point is, Charlotte does not have the vibrant cultural setting of Chicago, D.C or NYC, but we do have one and it is improving. On the flip side, we do have a Southern culture and it is a culture, albeit maybe not as fascinating as non-endemic people are used to or can appreciate.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,537 times
Only been here a few months, but my take on the arts scene here is that it is pretty good at the "corporate" level - symphony is decent, and yes, there are indeed good shows coming into town at Ovens and Belk...and there seems to be a lot of support from corporations. What I'm wondering about is more grass-roots support from the community, both for big-name and smaller events/venues/organizations. I don't think anyone expects Chicago, NY, DC or SF. I do think that the cultural scene is growing and will continue to grow with the population, and as more people plant roots here and establish their own traditions.

Have been to the symphony, Mint museum, Whitewater center etc...but our weekend time has been fairly limited between moving and a lot of travel. Would expect that we'd expand our horizons as we get settled.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:

I think that the intent of the thread is to depute comments that have been made that there is no culture. The posts did not state that the culture of the area is lacking in the arts &/or community events (part of the culture of an area), they simply said that there is no culture, which is impossible, as well as insulting to the natives.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
And that gets to what I was saying earlier - "culture" meaning "entertainment."

Old 07-23-2008, 11:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
but culture is more than the arts .

There is a various cultures within Jewish culture, Greek culture, Gay culture, black culture , Latino culture here as well

Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,567 times
thank you, carolinaguy, i am so glad you responded in detail to my post. i thought you would have some viewpoints for me to consider.

i'm so glad you started this thread!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
If you were to ask a person in Charlotte what are three things you would use to define Charlotte, what would you say?
How about Banking, Nascar and Religion

And Nascar absolutely is part of the culture here. You must not have been around for the big fight with Daytona and Atlanta for the Hall of Fame. I think when a city builds a shrine to a particular institution, its hard not to say its not part of the culture. And as for religion, just visit the Billy Graham library or simply note the hundreds of churches on every corner. Banking, I think most get.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
I need to write a steamy novel about Southern culture/tradition so the uninformed will realize, oh yes, yes . . . we have culture here! And we have tradition . . . but I think a lot of it is getting lost amongst all the new housing subdivisions . . . making it appear that a lot of Charlotte could just be "anywhere, USA." You drive into a new subdivision and you think - I could be in . . . Plano, TX, Manassas, VA, Cobb Co, GA, Plainfield, Ill, Overland Park, KS, Nashville, TN, Tulsa, OK . . . All people see is the sameness.

What you don't see are all the details that make up Southern culture and tradition.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:31 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
There you have it, folks. Charlotte isn't Buffalo, Cleveland, Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, or any other place that you decided to leave. You can take Charlotte on its terms or make yourself miserable trying to turn it into some place that it isn't. The choice is yours.

carolina_guy, I'd give you more rep if I could. Fantastic post.
Exactly. When I made the move down here last month from Baltimore - I was not expecting it to be "Baltimore", I was expecting it to be "Charlotte". I spent enough time here before making the move to know whether or not this was a place where I wanted to live - and I am now a Charlottain (or whatever the appropriate term is) and am no longer a Baltimorian (or Baltimoron, depending on your point of view).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte