Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Exactly. When I made the move down here last month from Baltimore - I was not expecting it to be "Baltimore", I was expecting it to be "Charlotte". I spent enough time here before making the move to know whether or not this was a place where I wanted to live - and I am now a Charlottain (or whatever the appropriate term is) and am no longer a Baltimorian (or Baltimoron, depending on your point of view).
At least you didn't say "Charlaton"

The term is "Charlottean"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

LOL.

I humbly have had the good fortune to travel the country and much of the world. Personally, I greatly enjoy the differences each locale possesses. Would I miss certain things if I moved near my wife's family at the MA/VT border? Absolutely. But I would not pine away that the area had no culture, as it surely does. It is quaint and peaceful in a way only New England small towns can be.

At the same time, Charlotte is Charlotte.
Want more arts? Open your wallet and fund it.
Want anything you miss about where you are from?
Gather with like minded folks, and open your collective wallets and fund it.
Just please vote in a way to keep the cost of living low which is why so many people moved here in the first place.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Thanks - I was wondering which was correct and which was...um...less so

Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
LOL.

I humbly have had the good fortune to travel the country and much of the world. Personally, I greatly enjoy the differences each locale possesses. Would I miss certain things if I moved near my wife's family at the MA/VT border? Absolutely. But I would not pine away that the area had no culture, as it surely does. It is quaint and peaceful in a way only New England small towns can be.

At the same time, Charlotte is Charlotte.
Want more arts? Open your wallet and fund it.
Want anything you miss about where you are from?
Gather with like minded folks, and open your collective wallets and fund it.
Just please vote in a way to keep the cost of living low which is why so many people moved here in the first place.
What I don't understand is that people that I have met that complain most are the ones that don't attend venues when they become available. Anyone who says that Charlotte is lacking in cultural facilities would likely say that about any place other than where they come from. There are tons of cultural activities in the area in which a person can either visit or become part of. Anyone that can't find things to do isn't looking. There is always room for improvement and if people used common sense, they would realize that with Charlotte's growth, more and more things will become available.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 PM

85 posts, read 193,753 times
i wouldnt really agree with that. in certain areas of charlotte, i would say that may be true. but in more hip, younger areas such as uptown, noda, southend, plazamidwood, etc., these three words would accurately describe the culture. maybe friendly but not so much the other two. it all depends on where you are in charlotte. i know charlotte is known for being a great place to raise a family but it is also a great place to be young(im 24 and always have something to do). for me the three words are friendly, changing and exciting.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 PM

109 posts, read 397,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post

if a town is made up of mostly southern (some may say redneck) white people, who's roots go back to well before the civil war, who have southern pride, southern heritage, and everything that makes one southern, does that mean it lacks culture?

I actually find it quite insulting for people to say we lack culture just because they won't find their Little Italy, Chinatown, or whatever little foreign town you want to call it.
"their Little Italy, Chinatown, or whatever little foreign town you want to call it.".... Statements like this are why people all around the world are embracing Obama. For far too long some Americans have felt that their "southern pride [and] southern heritage" is the only "culture" that matters. That day is coming to an end, so enjoy the sunset. This post is small town, small minded America at its best.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 PM

19 posts, read 46,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post
"their Little Italy, Chinatown, or whatever little foreign town you want to call it.".... Statements like this are why people all around the world are embracing Obama. For far too long some Americans have felt that their "southern pride [and] southern heritage" is the only "culture" that matters. That day is coming to an end, so enjoy the sunset. This post is small town, small minded America at its best.

Well said.

In general, it seems that people beat around the bush by throwing around the word "culture", causing misinterpretation of the question, perhaps.

The southern states have historically had a reputation of being closed minded to diversity/diverse people. Some view this as the "southern heritage or "culture" mentioned in the quote is what leads people to ask indirectly "have things/mindsets really changed to be more inclusionary to where any decent/hardworking person would feel comfortable".

Last edited by global_gal; 07-24-2008 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: close quotes

Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post

If my celebration of my heritage isn't hurting you, does it really matter if I have "southern pride"? Every other group residing in this country can celebrate their heritage however they want, but southerners can't? I suspect that you're invoking racial issues in this. Rather than making veiled accusations in regards to "southern pride and heritage", and the way it's celebrated,

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-24-2008 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 PM

109 posts, read 397,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by global_gal View Post
Well said.

In general, it seems that people beat around the bush by throwing around the word "culture", causing misinterpretation of the question, perhaps.

The southern states have historically had a reputation of being closed minded to diversity/diverse people. Some view this as the "southern heritage or "culture" mentioned in the quote is what leads people to ask indirectly "have things/mindsets really changed to be more inclusionary to where any decent/hardworking person would feel comfortable".
First off, "Big up" to the Bronx....Secondly, Finally someone can see what I'm talking about. Thank You.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by global_gal View Post
Well said.

The southern states have historically had a reputation of being closed minded to diversity/diverse people. ".
That is not true I know Black southerners , Gay southerners, Latino southerners, asian southerners... We dont have issue with being diverse it those who come from areas that are segregated where they come from with their little Italies , Chinatowns who seem to have "issues"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte