Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 PM

109 posts, read 397,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
If my celebration of my heritage isn't hurting you, does it really matter if I have "southern pride"? Every other group residing in this country can celebrate their heritage however they want, but southerners can't? I suspect that you're invoking racial issues in this. Rather than making veiled accusations in regards to "southern pride and heritage", and the way it's celebrated,
Whoa Big Fella, be easy....

You can celebrate what you want as long as it's not hurting anyone. Have at it. I'm not invoking racial issues, the original poster made a poorly disguised attempt at doing exactly what you are accusing me of. I made no mention of any southern pride celebrations, only the fact that Carolina Guy was very dismissive of other cultures.

Also just because you live in the south doesn't mean that outsiders (yankees as some southerners call us) have to fully assimilate to the culture that has been there since the Civil War. People bring their heritage with them, and they should all be included. This is a free country, and this election is proving that EVERYONE'S CULTURE MATTERS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post

You can celebrate what you want as long as it's not hurting anyone. Have at it. I'm not invoking racial issues, the original poster made a poorly disguised attempt at doing exactly what you are accusing me of. I made no mention of any southern pride celebrations, only the fact that Carolina Guy was very dismissive of other cultures.

Also just because you live in the south doesn't mean that outsiders (yankees as some southerners call us) have to fully assimilate to the culture that has been there since the Civil War. People bring their heritage with them, and they should all be included. This is a free country, and this election is proving that EVERYONE'S CULTURE MATTERS!!!!
The original poster responded to multiple posts that stated that there was no culture. That was offensive each time it was posted.

I'll be more than happy to discuss the Civil War with you on the History board, It doesn't belong here. Also, please discuss the election on the appropriate board. No one here knows my politics & I don't know theirs.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The original poster responded to multiple posts that stated that there was no culture. That was offensive each time it was posted.

I'll be more than happy to discuss the Civil War with you on the History board, It doesn't belong here. Also, please discuss the election on the appropriate board. No one here knows my politics & I don't know theirs.
????? I'm not sure what you were reading, but let me clarify.

Actually, I wasn't discussing the civil war, I was referencing the original posters talking about how the "culture" of Charlotte had been there since the civil war. As far as the election goes, I used it to reference the fact that people of all "cultures" are beginning to feel included in what is going on in America. So when taken in that context it makes sense.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
"their Little Italy, Chinatown, or whatever little foreign town you want to call it.".... Statements like this are why people all around the world are embracing Obama. For far too long some Americans have felt that their "southern pride [and] southern heritage" is the only "culture" that matters. That day is coming to an end, so enjoy the sunset. This post is small town, small minded America at its best.
I am not sure that this is on topic.
This year's election has absolutely nothing to do with culture in Charlotte or the South.

Quote:
I've lived in Roanoke for two years, and plan on leaving before making it a 3rd. It is a beautiful area, but way too small town-ish for me. The mentality of us (the haves) versus them (the have nots), is not how I want my kids to grow up. Contrary to popular belief, Southwest county is not the center of the worlld!!!! We've enjoyed our time here, but after I get my degree, I'm out.
From the Roanoke sub-forum it seems you are not happy there, and you might not find Charlotte any better suited for your needs.

Last edited by mullman; 07-25-2008 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I don't know where to even start.

Any of you who have read my posts should know I see Charlotte as the New South, and am interested in seeing people come here - and collectively - we grow together. Add your customs, traditions and activities to ours. Let's become something new together.

However, the discussion about Southerners being small-minded and not open to change. Well, that ticks me off. And I will tell you why. I am all for adding more variety here . . . for people celebrating their own culture, should they be from somewhere else . . . I even participate in those celebrations. However, the bottom line is . . . why do people from other parts of this country find they need to make it their mission to come here to NC and disparage who we are here? That is what makes me angry and that is why newcomers get labeled Damn Yankees. If you love where you are from and you think we are all small-minded yokels "down here," DO NOT COME.

If you decide to come here, YES, bring your new traditions. I am interested in learning about them. But too often, part of those TRADITIONS is a stereotypical, smug, condescending view of Southerners.

I am not in the business of insulting other people and I know that what we have all posted here are ideas . . .and so I do not mean to offend anyone w/ my statements. But I won't apologize for feeling immensely aggravated b/c people move here and then decide they are gonna "straighten out" all the "small-minded Southerners."

I am a native; my family has been here pre-Revolutionary War on both sides. We travel, we have friends from all over this country and indeed, from several spots elsewhere in the world . . . and we are neither unsophisticated nor small-minded. I take offense when these statements are bandied about.

I do not assume that all people from New York/Manhattan are loud-mouth, shrill, brash, in-your-face rude (with horrific grammar) so please don't assume all Southerners (or even the majority of them) are ignorant, unsophisticated haters. Geeeeeezzzz.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:56 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
Quote:

You're right that northerners don't have to fully assimilate to the Southern Culture, however, they shouldn't expect it to be the dominant culture and for Southerners to bend over backwards to accept this culture which is exactly what is happening. Why move here in the first place if you don't like the culture?? You can't expect to move to a new area and expect its residents to change to your ways or even make special considerations for you because you aren't a "local".

Perhaps its the northerners who need to accept Southern culture since they are "newbies"? Perhaps its the northerners who need to be accepting of how things are in the south? I moved here from New Jersey and I am enjoying my time adapting here. I see many northerners who could use a class in tolerance and open-mindedness on a daily basis.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't know where to even start.

Any of you who have read my posts should know I see Charlotte as the New South, and am interested in seeing people come here - and collectively - we grow together. Add your customs, traditions and activities to ours. Let's become something new together.

However, the discussion about Southerners being small-minded and not open to change. Well, that ticks me off. And I will tell you why. I am all for adding more variety here . . . for people celebrating their own culture, should they be from somewhere else . . . I even participate in those celebrations. However, the bottom line is . . . why do people from other parts of this country find they need to make it their mission to come here to NC and disparage who we are here? That is what makes me angry and that is why newcomers get labeled Damn Yankees. If you love where you are from and you think we are all small-minded yokels "down here," DO NOT COME.

AMEN!!! People are such hypocrites when they complain about this so-called lack of "culture" down here and expect that their cultural preferences be accomodated when in fact they are the ones being closed-minded.

If you decide to come here, YES, bring your new traditions. I am interested in learning about them. But too often, part of those TRADITIONS is a stereotypical, smug, condescending view of Southerners.

You hit the nail on the head with this statement, Ani!

I am not in the business of insulting other people and I know that what we have all posted here are ideas . . .and so I do not mean to offend anyone w/ my statements. But I won't apologize for feeling immensely aggravated b/c people move here and then decide they are gonna "straighten out" all the "small-minded Southerners."

I am a native; my family has been here pre-Revolutionary War on both sides. We travel, we have friends from all over this country and indeed, from several spots elsewhere in the world . . . and we are neither unsophisticated nor small-minded. I take offense when these statements are bandied about.

I do not assume that all people from New York/Manhattan are loud-mouth, shrill, brash, in-your-face rude (with horrific grammar) so please don't assume all Southerners (or even the majority of them) are ignorant, unsophisticated haters. Geeeeeezzzz.
Excellent post!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 AM

Default United States of America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

That wasn't my assumption. If you go and read the original post while taking a minute to put aside the "I'm proud to be a southerner t-shirt", you will see what I was talking about. Or Maybe Not?

The original post was in my opinion very dismissive of all other cultures that may migrate to your city. I thought we lived in the United States of America. From the posts that I have read in this forum and others, it sounds to me like people are standing behind their barricades and lobbing verbal bombs at those on the other side.

Black against white, northerner vs southerners, local vs transplant, etc. I love these forums because people say exactly what they think and feel, no political correctness to muddy things up. These are the same people who smile in your (generic) face everday and secretly hate you, because you aren't in their "group".

America is anything but United, and these posts go to prove that intolerance reigns supreme.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
That wasn't my assumption. If you go and read the original post while taking a minute to put aside the "I'm proud to be a southerner t-shirt", you will see what I was talking about. Or Maybe Not?

The original post was in my opinion very dismissive of all other cultures that may migrate to your city. I thought we lived in the United States of America. From the posts that I have read in this forum and others, it sounds to me like people are standing behind their barricades and lobbing verbal bombs at those on the other side.

Black against white, northerner vs southerners, local vs transplant, etc. I love these forums because people say exactly what they think and feel, no political correctness to muddy things up. These are the same people who smile in your (generic) face everday and secretly hate you, because you aren't in their "group".

America is anything but United, and these posts go to prove that intolerance reigns supreme.
WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Who is being intolerant here? We Southerners are not only tolerating the Great Northeast Migration, we are trying our best to accommodate everyone.

Seems the newcomers are the ones complaining about the South.

No one "secretly hates" newcomers! We will just ignore you and exclude you if you act like jerks. That is true ANYWHERE. That is not exclusive to the South!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:42 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:

As one Yankee to another, you tell me why it's OK for transplants of any ethnicity to insult the natives. When you're done, then you can explain why you think it's OK for you to insult them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte